My minidisc rack 320

Rate this topic

cynisterious

Hey guys i just finished making this minidisc rack out of foam core board. Boards with slits that join together. Each box can hold ten (320 in total). Took about 5 - 6 hours to make. Thread made to show of rack that i spent hours on - however some will enjoy the minidiscs that are on the rack.

Can anyone guess what design i ripped off ;) (blue/teal feature i applied to the minidisc collection sign) No prizes for anyone who guesses correctly lol.

Please post any pictures of your own DIY racks/storage ideas.

minidiscrack320.jpg

Wow.. just WOW.

Look at all those blanks in shrinkwraps.. :)

Yeah , The WHOLE RACK is almost all Blanks = Suspiciously COPIUS amounts of MUZAK are being hidden then I would suppose ! Wonder what the whole collection looks like .

From the number of Blanks , if he were to post the WHOLE collection , It might clog the server .................. :o

Lol nice comments haha, well i threw my cat in the shot to show some scale. People who don't know what minidiscs are think the rack i made is HUGE.

Hehe, notice the Sony blanks on the very bottom. Must be the most boring of the collection - yeah those blanks are there for weight only ;) I only have about 200 other minidisc blanks outside of the picture - i started collecting late - rather i was to young and was not able to afford any back when they were some what popular.

Also i sold of most of my used minidiscs when i no longer had any use for them, my house was robbed - believe this the thieves took 2 md recorders and 1 player but did not take a single minidisc blank LOL which would have devastated me more. I currently do not own a minidisc unit :o however i still collect the blanks. I hope to get my hands on a himd unit.

If any one wants specs of how to make the rack i will post in this same thread soon, very simple its like connecting a 3d puzzle - so you can easily disassemble and reassemble.

• 3 weeks later...

A Stunning Collection of Blanks! Nice rack too, I am currently building my own 6 foot tall MiniDisc Bookcase/Tower to house probably up to 1000 minidiscs, blanks & used, all in one place. It's taken me all afternoon to construct from plywood I found in a skip. I've sanded it down and put it together. Over the weekend, I will probably stain it.

When it's done, I will put my collection on it and post a few photos. There will probably be lots of left over space, as I currently have around 300 discs I think - loads of room to collect more. I intend on using minidisc as long as possible, so I am stockpiling blanks and collecting Hi-Md units as I go (usually e-bay)

Your Sign looks like it may have the blue/Teal TDK WA disc art on it (Am i Right?), I have the 5 disc pack of those, I could resist opening the pack to look at them, but I haven't used them yet, I keep them in a Sony 10 box so they are dust free.How long has it taken to get all those great rare blanks?

Edited by bridb

Just finished giving my bookcase a few coats of varnish - it said beech on the tin, but it has turned out looking like teak, which is nice.

I will post some pics in a day or two.

Varnish instead of Poly ? hope that the summer heat doesnt give you the stickies . Some varnishes will do that if they are poorly made .

I would at least do a Urethane with UV protectant . Just a thought

Maybe he prefers a natural solution over a synthetic one? I can understand that.

I have finished it! I chose a good quality varnish (Ronseal - DWISOTT) because I know it will give a good finish and not be tacky.

Hope you enjoy the pics.

It cost me about £20 all in. It's no chippendale, but see if you can do it for less! :D

It has 16 shelves (3 fixed for strength) and I left the bottom one off to put some other things on it for now.

It is 6 foot tall,19 1/2" wide and each shelf is 4" apart and 4" deep. It'll store well over 1,200 minidiscs at a push (stacking them horizontally and vertically on each shelf). They look good either way.

Hope you like "my MiniDisc bookcase/Tower 1200"

No comments on my messy room or my washing thanks lol

post-75419-1245166121.jpg

post-75419-1245166155.jpg

post-75419-1245168530.jpg

Edited by bridb

A Stunning Collection of Blanks! Nice rack too, I am currently building my own 6 foot tall MiniDisc Bookcase/Tower to house probably up to 1000 minidiscs, blanks & used, all in one place. It's taken me all afternoon to construct from plywood I found in a skip. I've sanded it down and put it together. Over the weekend, I will probably stain it.

When it's done, I will put my collection on it and post a few photos. There will probably be lots of left over space, as I currently have around 300 discs I think - loads of room to collect more. I intend on using minidisc as long as possible, so I am stockpiling blanks and collecting Hi-Md units as I go (usually e-bay)

Your Sign looks like it may have the blue/Teal TDK WA disc art on it (Am i Right?), I have the 5 disc pack of those, I could resist opening the pack to look at them, but I haven't used them yet, I keep them in a Sony 10 box so they are dust free.How long has it taken to get all those great rare blanks?

Yes you're right, that particular WA disc is my one of my favourite mindisc design :D - plus it suited the black. Erm i've been collecting for a few years off and on for up to 6 years....been lucky to grab some of the rare discs back in the day.

Since making this rack its motivated me to purchase more and more blanks ^_^ i think i could easily fill up another 320 rack. Starting to think i should have made a giant one like yours - great job btw and i'm sure it will look awesome once its filled up. I won't pay you out about your messy room i took my rack out to the nice clean lounge room for the snaps, the state of the room its currently in now is another matter :lol:

Below is a storage rack that i found in an asian dollar shop - in their craft section. They displayed the rack with teddy bears and dolls, i had a feeling that this particular storage rack could easily hold minidiscs. Bought one and i couldn't believe how perfect it was for minidiscs - of course i went back and purchased all that was there. You will see that this rack inspired me to make the 320 rack (basically i copied the design and vamped it up to hold more than 60 disc).

minidiscrack60.jpg

Thanks Sami, those are cheap racks for dollar!

Yes, it might be that you would need one supersize rack, based on your design, that would be interesting. It all depends on how many discs you have/want overall to display of course.

I see you have multiples of brand new discs, I myself am just collecting one or two of each design to keep shrink wrapped, keeping the lower section of my bookcase to have as an area for displaying all the different types of disc, the top half will be for all my recorded music.

I'm not sure exactly how many different designs there are of discs but I figure it's a few hundred, maybe over a 1000 if you include all the different colours of each design. I am not going to be strict on collecting all the variables when it comes to 74/80min varieties or colours, but sometimes you can only get a pack of 5 or 10, so I get the set then if I can't get them brand new & wrapped loose.

this site shows pictures of them all http://picasaweb.google.com/minidisc.channel it's great.

This week I got some brand new wrapped panasonic,tdk bit clubs,quantegy and a sony ES

Hardware I got this week:- mz-rh1 (at last!), 3 x mz-nh600's (2 I will sell on, keeping a mint blue model)

It's all very addictive :rolleyes:

Edited by bridb

• 1 month later...

Below is a storage rack that i found in an asian dollar shop - in their craft section. They displayed the rack with teddy bears and dolls, i had a feeling that this particular storage rack could easily hold minidiscs. Bought one and i couldn't believe how perfect it was for minidiscs - of course i went back and purchased all that was there. You will see that this rack inspired me to make the 320 rack (basically i copied the design and vamped it up to hold more than 60 disc).

Yeah, Daiso sells those for 1.50USD here.

I've got a grainy pic of one myself:

mdco-05.jpg

• 1 month later...

Here is my MD rack system , of course I didn't make it, but , just wanted to share

my picks.

Each of the drawer hold 40 MDs or lots of extras like the machine it self ,

chargers , spare bateries , microphones , ear buds , lables and everything related

with MDs.One of the most important thing is that everything keeps protected from

dust and organized.

Originally this organizers ar intended for any kind of crafts like holding screws,

nails , nuts etc. but mds fit perfecttly in after you take off a piece

of plastic it uses for guiding a divider .post-41608-125338634889_thumb.jpgpost-41608-125338627534_thumb.jpgpost-41608-125338624067_thumb.jpgpost-41608-125338620575_thumb.jpg