trying to do some catch-up - your help please

Rate this topic

MusicBringer

Good to see you again. 4.3 is pretty much the most stable and latest version of SS for Hi-MD. There was a 4.4 but this was Japanese language only and 5.x again Japanese only and not compatible with MD.

Avrin extracted the more stable OpenMG module from these later versions and retro-applied it to SS4.3 to come up with an "Ultimate Version" you might want to check out - see here for details: http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showt...mp;#entry141995

* Topic Moved to Software Discussion Section

* Topic Moved to Software Discussion Section
Thanks -_-

Hello Rich, good to hear from you. Long time no see. I hope you are well.

Thanks for the link I will give it a try.

[late edit] having looked at the comments on that thread, I think I might as well stay with SS4.2 and XP Pro. I have never used Vista. Unless you recommend otherwise B)

btw what do folk think of Win 7 with SS3.4. Anybody tried it yet...

Edited by MusicBringer

the major attraction of Avrin's version is that the slow upload from RH1 seems to be (mostly) gone. I had one case where after plugging in a non-RH1 the problem still happened, and I haven't diagnosed it yet. But if you don't have an RH1 from which you do SP uploads, you may not care.

I will say that I have used 4.3 from the moment it came out, and with the exception of this feature it was always reliable for me under XP pro. But all earlier versions did that too.

It's possible they improved support for AAL which I have discovered in my dotage recently, as a fantastic alternative to ripping PCM from CD's (the latter absolutely fails on all my CD drives). I recall trying to get that to work in 4.2 and it failing.

But again I bow to Avrin who really knows these details.

But not supported on MD.

If only the Linux Hi-MD project could make that possible...

It's supported to the extent that burning an MD from this always works well. It seems to be a good intermediate for every kind of ATRAC all the way from (at least) 66kbps to 292. I haven't tried 48 or 352 but according to what my ears tell me, I wouldn't want the first and don't need the second.

I see no reason why the conversions should not be possible (sorry, double negative) but am not currently concerned with the codec side of the project. Cannot be, in fact, until they have got all the encryption going, which is a fiendish mathemagical feat.

....(sorry, double negative)

Don't you not worry about that my friend. I am not unfamiliar to the occasional double negative.

In fact only the other day, talking to the girl at the bar, we were talking about doubles. And she asked me for a Double entendre. So I gave her one. ;)

It sure works, but it remains lossy; full support would be compression without loosing SQ, like it supposedly is the case on Sony's most recent flash Walkmans.

But likely MD will never support it because of firmware limitation; correct me if I'm wrong...

Apparently not as lossy as ripping CD's into SonicStage at PCM :) I sure hope that's not what you do, Oz.