Cannot install SonicStage

Rate this topic

MusicBringer

This concerns Windows 7.

I cannot install SS4.3.

I have a dual boot machine with XP on the C:\drive and Win7 on the other drive.

When I try to install SS4.3 on Win 7 it says it is already installed, and goes away. Grrhh.

I suppose it is coz SS insists on installing itself on the C:\drive whereas Win7 is on my E:\drive.

How can I deal with this.

And where can I get a full version of SS4.3 or 4.2.

I only have installer stub versions.

Thanks,

SonicStage does not support Windows 7. The only way to install and run it with that operating system is by using a Virtual Machine with USB support (not the MS one).

As for full versions, you may look for them here: http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=22332 - I recommend the "ultimate" one from Post #5

Edited by Avrin

What?????

I just checked (had been meaning to turn on W7 again so I could upgrade to the Release Candidate from the Beta, since the RC is good for a whole year whereas the beta expires in a month or so).

My installation of SonicStage is perfect on there. Maybe I did it from the download, I don't recall, rather than the Avrin-ultimate (which as you know I recommend highly). But it works just fine. I'm trying to recall if I did anything special. When I have upgraded to RC I will reinstall SS and let y'all know the result.

Added: I had previously captured Atrac3+ (HiMD) tracks from a portable onto there. I just now tried Atrac3 (LP2, in fact) upload from my MZ-RH1. Worked perfectly.

I *did* see that the program was set to "XP Service Pack 2" compatibility mode. But that's the only thing unusual. I don't recall if I did that myself or whether install did it for me.

SonicStage does not support Windows 7. The only way to install and run it with that operating system is by using a Virtual Machine with USB support (not the MS one).

As for full versions, you may look for them here: http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=22332 - I recommend the "ultimate" one from Post #5

I think there are different experiences of using SS with Win7 ;)

From what I have read, I think there are a number of ways of persuading Win7 to behave with SS. Otherwise we are stuck with having to keep a pc with a legacy os just to use our minidiscs. No. :rolleyes:

Nevertheless I thank you for the link and I have followed your recommendation to get ultimate one from Post #5. Thank you for that Avrin :)

That's a good version of 4.3. Is there a recommended full version of 4.2, please - or don't I need it for XP. Will this ultimate version behave with XP Pro?

At the moment, coz I dual boot, SS installer sees the XP installation on the C:\drive and refuses to install to my E:\drive where I have Win7. Ho Hum.

Edited by MusicBringer

Really, you do NOT want 4.2 with Vista or W7. You MUST use 4.3, whether the Avrin version or the downloaded one. I think but am not sure, that I used the download from Sony.

Try renaming the SonicStage installation for now. It's more likely that what is going on is that W7 reads the XP registry to figure out stuff like this. In which case, deinstall may be your only option.

Oh, you are running 32-bit W7, I take it? If you run 64-bit W7 I could be wrong but guessing that all bets are off. I haven't tried it, but user 1kyle (here) has.

One more detail, I didn't in fact do anything special to set it in XP compatibility mode. W7 appears to be smart enough to figure that out from the executable all on its own. And it's definitely not the Avrin Ultimate on that machine, everything is 4.7.<whatever>

Is there a recommended full version of 4.2, please - or don't I need it for XP. Will this ultimate version behave with XP Pro?

The components of 4.3 "ultimate" are designed by SONY to work with 32-bit Windows 2000/XP/Vista. And its SonicStage 4.3/OpenMG 5.0 combination seems to work better than 4.2/4.6 and way better than 4.3/patched 4.7, which were released originally. Both are still available in the above-mentioned thread for those who want "official" configurations for some reason.

Glad to hear that it is really possible to use SonicStage with W7 without any virtual machines.

One final note: I just finished installing W7 RC 32 bits. When I was done, the Sonic Stage install out of the box from Sony coped with HiMD just fine, but the NetMD drivers were missing.

I needed the drivers from the file pa_driver.zip which is to be found here on MDCF forums. Then upload from the RH1 worked just great!

...and what a final note it is..!!

I wouldn't have had a clue about this.

I am not in a position to install on 7 for a while, so haven't actually tried again just yet.

But very grateful to you, sfbp, for bringing this driver requirement to my attn.

Off to grab 'em now>>>>>

The latest drivers (the ones used in official SonicStage 4.4 and all my installation packages) are here: http://sonicstage.update.sony.net/v4400/JP...r/pa_driver.zip

Alright, this is different then.

I have just seen your post Avrin.

I suppose I should use the drivers in your link, rather than the drivers in the MDCF forums link, even though the zip file name is the same. Confusing :wacko:

One more thing - the slowest step in firing up W7 is the download. Once you've made a bootable disk, it took all of 10 minutes to load install and configure itself. It seemed to get all the drivers right. Maybe if I'd had the RH1 plugged in (in NEtMD mode) it would have found that too, who knows? I think they're on a roll with this one finally.

...I think they're on a roll with this one finally.

sfbp, I agree with you. Since 7000 in Jan I have been using Win7. I love it. I never used vista. Came straight from XP.

Unfortunately my pc is playing up at the moment and I have no window of opportunity to fix things.

This means that I have to use XP. But like you I think they are getting there with win7.

Hi! Well, I know this is not a great help, but I would like to say that SonicStage 4.3 installed and worked perfectly for me under Windows 7 Beta and RC. I have no set any compatibility mode, neither W7 hass made for itself (I have taken a look just in case, but nothing is selected). And netmd were installed too without problem with sonicstage, not needed installed for me after. I remebered it well cause I have to format and reinstall from zero three days ago ;)

Maybe I have been touched by Lady Luck? :P

Musicbringer, the only way I can recall now in order you could install SS in Windows 7 being in D: partition is download the XP mode for W7 and install under it. But then you'll have two XP installations: your main one and this virtual system. Too much space wasted, I think...

The other thing I'm thinking about is... do you have SS installed in the Windows XP partition? Maybe a conflict there? You could try uninstalling it, then trying to install it in W7 and then reinstall in XP. What a job for just install the software for our minidisc... SONY, have you seen what you have messed not giving a good support to your MD customers? grrrrrrrrrr

Don't forget that even if you select a non-system partition for SonicStage installation, most of the shared components (OpenMG, drivers, etc.) are still installed to the system partition, and there's no way to change that.

Edited by Avrin