HiMD

Rate this topic

gabgar

Hello, Just wanted to say that I just purchased the Sony MDR-NC60's and will be getting those this Friday but in the meantime has anyone had any good experiences using a particular model of headphones.

I have heard really good reviews on the NC-60s but hope not to be disappointing...

Hi,

I don't know these headphones you speak of or what they cost but, I recently got a pair of Grado SR60i @ $69.00 even.

These are hands down, (no room for debate, discussion, argument, matter of personal preference, etc.), the best hedphones I have ever heard. I use mine with all my minidiscs Hi, low and in between, CDs and vinil. I am experiencing what I can only refer to as 3D listening. The music often sounds like its coming not only coming from outside the headphones but, from out side my head. At times I can even identify the direction from which a particulaar insturment seems to coming. A few times I was startled thinking I had left my speakers hot because I swore the sound was somewhee else in the room.

The sound is pretty flat which I really like. They aren't over loaded with bass or high end which I think is done to mask overall substandard performance.

I highly recommend these Grado headphones...SR60i and SR80i. I got mine from a place in Washington state called www.jazzloft.com. He does not charge shipping. I ordered mine on line an a Saturday...they were shipped Monday and I received them on Wednesday in New York City.

You're lucky you haven't heard the more expensive Grados. Because the SR80 sound way better than the 60, the SR125 (which I have) make the 80s sound fuzzy, etc....I don't even want to think about how good the ultra top of the line Grados sound.

I got my SR125 on Ebay for around $100, and they still show up around that point. A great investment.

I've said before: for relatively inexpensive and completely comfortable phones, I think the Sennheiser PX100 sound a lot better than the Koss Portapros I used to use, but the Portapros aren't half bad either.

As for IEM's like the Etymotic, I much prefer the Shure IEMs--more bass, sturdier design. Do the Etymotics still have that stupid twisted cord that makes all sorts of noise, or did they fix that?

But the same thing with Shure as with Grado. First I had Shure E3, which sounded good until I heard the E4--much more spatial detail, and if you're a little patient you can find them for around $125 on eBay. But then I was bottom-fishing on eBay and nabbed a pair of Shure E500 for under $150 (usually at least $250) and now my E4 just don't sound so good....Shure has changed and renumbered its phones, so the E4 equivalent is the SE310.

As they say over at http://www.head-fi.org ...sorry about your wallet.

I picked up a pair of Sennheiser PX100's for about $70 and I love them. I don't have much experience with other headphones, but I really like the sound quality these put out.

Hey Brian , I also had the PX100 's like em as well , but I went to Akihabara one day , and found a shop that just did Headphones and Amps ........ Never saw so much ear candy

anyway , I sat down with the intent of 100 dollars limit ........ The AKG 's won out , I use all the different Cans they had with my RH1 , they had to work with the RH1 .......

when I put on the AKG's a smile immediately drew across my face .

http://www.akg.com/personal/K_420,pcatid,6...,_psmand,1.html

Find a Head shop and check them out .

Hello, Just wanted to say that I just purchased the Sony MDR-NC60's and will be getting those this Friday but in the meantime has anyone had any good experiences using a particular model of headphones.

I have heard really good reviews on the NC-60s but hope not to be disappointing...

A few months ago I got the MDR-EX300 earbuds... but I've never been totally satisfied with any portable phones, so I wasn't expecting much...but they are passable...I guess. I also feel dirty spending too much $ on portable easily-breakable phones. Those NC60s don't look half as fragile, though.

If any Hi-MD unit could power my Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro headphones to adequate volume (which to me means effing loud :P)... I would be in heaven.

I am currently considering the PCM-D50 for a mere $100 more than the MZ-M200 at B&H...good value considering it comes with some half-decent mics (by all accounts) and a more satisfying headphone power output. Seems like good value to step outside of the Hi-MD world in 2009, despite the bulk I could make use of that portability...not to mention recording.

• 4 weeks later...