Suggestion on Hi-MD player for car

Rate this topic

gujarati

I have been using MZ-S1 for car for a long time. Recently, I upgraded my computer to Vista x64 and found out that there are no drivers available for NETMD. So, the only choice I have is now Hi-MD.

I would continue making SP recording, but to try out music in car I used LP2. But with vista x64 I would have to use Hi-SP or any other Hi-MD mode. So, I need a good player for car that would run on DC power input. MZ-S1 I have currently runs fine on DC input without any need for changing batteries.

Some choices I have in mind are MZ-NH600D or MZ-NH600. I currently have MZ-RH910 and RH1. RH1 I would not want to use in car and RH-910 has white sides which are already getting dirty. For car I need something that could take heat.

First of all, you do not have to use "Hi-SP or any other Hi-MD mode"... Assuming you got Sonic Stage to work in Vista 64 (I use Vista 32), you should be able to still use "MDLP mode" in Sonic Stage to make SP or LP2 mode MDs with a HiMD as the downloader, I do this all the time. I use the NH900 to make such discs. So don't feel you HAVE to use HiMD players or modes in your CAR. You'll just need a HiMD unit to make discs with, and then you can continue using your MZ-S1 if you like for playback.

Edited by theblueraja

I didn't realize that. With sonicstage, I get driver issues when I try to initialize disc in NetMD mode. Everything works fine when I initialize disc in Hi-MD mode in SonicStage.

So, what you are saying is I should initialize discs in Hi-MD mode and then put LP2 tracks on it?

I think you guys may be talking at cross purposes. Yes you can transfer LP2 to HiMD. But if you want to play on NetMD player, you still need the drivers, which there is some rumour to be a problem with, in 64-bit.

However there should be 32-bit compatibility mode even in Vista. I haven't tried this and YMMV. It's even possible it works in the NEWEST windows (version 7) but not Vista. 1kyle, thoughts?

Yesterday, I installed Virtual PC 2007 w/ Win XP. Got sonicstage and everything to work realizing that there is no USB support. What a bummer. And, I don't think I have an extra WinXP license. Someone mentioned in some other post about using a virtualization software which I looked up and costs money. So again a bummer.

On my vista x64, I had vista version of sonic stage that I downloaded which did not work for NetMD. Later I uninstalled it and installed WinXP version of SonicStage on vista x64. This works exactly the same without any NetMD drivers. The problem happens when I insert NEtMD recorder in usb. Vista starts looking for a driver automatically and cannot find it. Then I point it to a location of 32-bit drivers which it does not like. How do I do tell stupid vista that install drivers in x32 mode.

Please make some suggestions.

PS: I am a software programmer by profession. If someone has some leads, maybe I can program something to get it to work on x64 systems.

I think you guys may be talking at cross purposes. Yes you can transfer LP2 to HiMD. But if you want to play on NetMD player, you still need the drivers...

"transfer LP2 to HiMD"? This makes no sense to me... LP2 is not a format in the computer itself, but rather on a DISC. So I'm not sure what you mean by LP2 to HiMD. I rip my music into sonic stage at 132k ATRAC, then transfer in MDLP mode "LP2" onto a standard 80min minidisc, that happens to be in a HiMD UNIT. I can play these discs on standard MDLP units OR HiMD units.

TBR,

Problem is that sonicstage cannot recognize a disc that is in NETMD mode. IF the recorder is Hi-MD and disc is classic/NETMD then vista x64 asks drivers for NEtMD. And if recorder is NETMD, then vista always asks for NetMD drivers. Now, if recorder is Hi-MD and disc is intialized as Hi-MD then everything works fine on vista x64 as they were installed fine with sonicstage.

In short, a disc initialized as NetMD needs NETMD drivers which are non-existent for 64-bit OS's.

"transfer LP2 to HiMD"? This makes no sense to me... LP2 is not a format in the computer itself, but rather on a DISC. So I'm not sure what you mean by LP2 to HiMD. I rip my music into sonic stage at 132k ATRAC, then transfer in MDLP mode "LP2" onto a standard 80min minidisc, that happens to be in a HiMD UNIT. I can play these discs on standard MDLP units OR HiMD units.

I mean you can store LP2 under HiMD. If you don't believe me, read the back page of the manual.

You actually get much more on the same 80M disc in HiMD mode.... 4hr 50m instead of 2hr 20m, for LP2.

I mean you can store LP2 under HiMD. If you don't believe me, read the back page of the manual.

I think your choice of words is what adds to the confusion here... "store under"? What does THAT mean? Are you saying LP2 formatted music being "stored" on a HiMD-formated DISC or something else? Nothing about believing or disbelieving you, I'm just trying to understand what you are trying to say.

You actually get much more on the same 80M disc in HiMD mode.... 4hr 50m instead of 2hr 20m, for LP2.

This I am very much aware of and have done it for years :P

Edited by theblueraja

Hi-MD mode doesn't actually require any drivers, thus it works even with 64-bit Windows versions.

For NetMD I would recomment the free VMware server to install a virtual 32-bit Windows version, since the server has USB support. IIRC, you can even migrate a Microsoft Virtual PC Windows installation to VMware server.

I think your choice of words is what adds to the confusion here... "store under"? What does THAT mean? Are you saying LP2 formatted music being "stored" on a HiMD-formated DISC or something else? Nothing about believing or disbelieving you, I'm just trying to understand what you are trying to say.

That is what I am saying.

HiMD is acting as a container for the LP2 format. The file is downloaded unchanged in bits from whatever form it is in on the PC's hard disc, created however (Sonicstage, or LP2 recording followed by MZ-RH1 upload).

Of course on a 1GB disc you get a whopping 16 1/2 hrs LP2.

Of course on a 1GB disc you get a whopping 16 1/2 hrs LP2.

I don't have access to any Hi-MD units right now, but is it possible to record in SP mode 292kps (as the NH1 for example can do) using a 1gb Hi-MD disc? If so what is the maximum recording time? Is it half of 16.5 hours, the latter which is the time available for LP2?

I don't have access to any Hi-MD units right now, but is it possible to record in SP mode 292kps (as the NH1 for example can do) using a 1gb Hi-MD disc? If so what is the maximum recording time? Is it half of 16.5 hours, the latter which is the time available for LP2?

Don't think so. I recall someone stuck tape over the relevant hole just to see, and..... (remember "Adventure") Nothing Happens.