MD Artistry '09

Rate this topic

zahne

What is MD Artistry '09?:

It starts out with a blank MD. Then someone records 1-3 mins of audio expression albeit: a joke, a song, a poem, a thought whatever! They then contact the next person in line, the next person receives the MD and adds their track. This continues in a chain and viola you have a community MD album! It's a joining of artists and others through MiniDisc!

How it works:

1) Post on the announcement thread and whenever you post, determines your place in line.

2) The person before you contacts you when it comes time for you turn. If you don't respond within 3 business days then the person before moves to next individual on the list.

3) You pay for your own shipping. Meaning you pay for the MD to arrive to you.

4) Once you receive the MD then it's yours to record whatever you want for 1-3 mins. Please refrain from racial slurrs, sexist or offensive content. This is for fun not a vessel for hate! 1-3 mins allows for 20+ participants.

5) Once you've made your recording (you have let's say a week to make your recording?) then we move on to the next person. Look for whoever is next in line, contact them and send them the MD! And so the line continues.

6) When the MD reaches it's end, it will then be re-sent to the event starter who will make copies of the MD for everyone to listen to and enjoy!

This is merely a proposal, the rules and details can be worked out through forum discussion. What do you all think? I'm in! I already know what I'm recording for my 3 mins!

P.S. All tracks should be labeled!

I think its a bad idea to pay for shipping to you. Not many people will agree with payment methods.

How about: PAY IT FORWARD

Means just ship to the next person and that's it. Now, a problem here - what if the next person is in different country? Then who foots the higher bill to ship.

Hey, how about just uploading your wav's/ flac's to be recorded by everyone. Back to square one.

I think its a bad idea to pay for shipping to you. Not many people will agree with payment methods.

How about: PAY IT FORWARD

Means just ship to the next person and that's it. Now, a problem here - what if the next person is in different country? Then who foots the higher bill to ship.

Hey, how about just uploading your wav's/ flac's to be recorded by everyone. Back to square one.

I think it's a different effort when you do that. There's more control and more assurance but this little blank MD won't travel the world and fall into the hands of other MDers as it passes by. I think there's a lot of symbolism in it. I agree there needs to be a concrete method of shipping. Although considering the weight of a MD, it won't be costly. If I started this chain and the next person on the list was across the Atlantic then I wouldn't mind paying their shipping. Perhaps it can be a case by case situation? I'm not opposed to the upload idea, but I don't want to give up on the MD chain just yet, I'd like to see if we could make it work. After all it's worked with other formats and art projects. I didn't make this up, the other format to do this was Super-8 film. Passing a cart and filming different cities in at least 5 continents.

I think it's a different effort when you do that. There's more control and more assurance but this little blank MD won't travel the world and fall into the hands of other MDers as it passes by. I think there's a lot of symbolism in it. I agree there needs to be a concrete method of shipping. Although considering the weight of a MD, it won't be costly. If I started this chain and the next person on the list was across the Atlantic then I wouldn't mind paying their shipping. Perhaps it can be a case by case situation? I'm not opposed to the upload idea, but I don't want to give up on the MD chain just yet, I'd like to see if we could make it work. After all it's worked with other formats and art projects. I didn't make this up, the other format to do this was Super-8 film. Passing a cart and filming different cities in at least 5 continents.
I have to agree with this one , The whole idea in the first place is the Traveling of the ideas OUTSIdE the realm of the digital bitstream we know as the Web , and placing the ideas firmly in a tangible moment where there must be some Personal involvement not just keystrokes . Also The tangible ----> as the package travels , the containers become peices of the process , As Wiz alluded the Stamps , The Writing , The Postage marks ......... A piece of the World around us . The risk of Customs confiscation , the general challenge of just Doing it and making it happen . There is a Video on the web no about a guy who traveled the world , recording different musicians , and Splicing it all together for just one song . " When the Night......... Has come ............. and the Laaaand is Dark ......... and the moon , is the Onnly Light you seee . " Stand By Me ......... Some really cool stuff in that video , and the journey taken to make it all happen . I completely understand where zahne wants to go with this . Edited by Guitarfxr

...There is a Video on the web no about a guy who traveled the world , recording different musicians , and Splicing it all together for just one song .

" When the Night......... Has come ............. and the Laaaand is Dark ......... and the moon , is the Onnly Light you seee . "

Stand By Me ......... Some really cool stuff in that video , and the journey taken to make it all happen .

I completely understand where zahne wants to go with this .

==================

Very moving and affecting vid. For me the content transcended the artistry involved in putting it together (although I truly appreciate that as well). Thanks for posting this.

• 2 weeks later...

Wouldn't it be easier if everybody just sign up for free Skydrive account (25GB), upload whatever they have, and share it? Then anybody can download them, mix them, with no degradation in quality, no waiting for shipping nor worrying about cost, no compatibility issue, no risk in the media lost in the mail, etc. :rolleyes: The content remains the same, and actually becomes more accessible, instead of being caged in the cliques of MD users only.

Point to the video, that's why the author uploaded it to youtube instead of recording it on beta tapes and mailing it to individuals, so it can be enjoyed by a lot of people. :D

Wouldn't it be easier if everybody just sign up for free Skydrive account (25GB), upload whatever they have, and share it? Then anybody can download them, mix them, with no degradation in quality, no waiting for shipping nor worrying about cost, no compatibility issue, no risk in the media lost in the mail, etc. :rolleyes: The content remains the same, and actually becomes more accessible, instead of being caged in the cliques of MD users only.

Point to the video, that's why the author uploaded it to youtube instead of recording it on beta tapes and mailing it to individuals, so it can be enjoyed by a lot of people. :D

I'm pretty sure part of the draw for some is receiving it on MD. In fact some would rightly, I think, disagree that the content remains the same. In the immortal words of Marshall McLuhan, the medium is the message.