Blanks at reasonable prices

Rate this topic

Deleted Member

Keep in mind my comments are in the context of a US buyer.

I'm not so sure. The deal looks okay until start adding in shipping. I suppose I might feel differently if I called them and found out exactly what they'd charge. For international they just say "at cost freight"--I have no idea what this means. I have found decent deals on ebay for new Sony Gold 80 Minute discs that include free priority shipping. The sweet spot for these deals appears to be "quantity 20" deals. I've also seen fair deals on HiMD on ebay. When the ebay sources dry up, minidisco appears to have the next best deal (unless they start raising their prices) for North American buyers, especially if you buy from their bulk section. In fact, their bulk section prices are better than what I paid on ebay in quantities of 100. I didn't want 100 discs yet, so I went with the ebay 20 pack instead.

When the ebay sources dry up, minidisco appears to have the next best deal (unless they start raising their prices) for North American buyers, especially if you buy from their bulk section. In fact, their bulk section prices are better than what I paid on ebay in quantities of 100. I didn't want 100 discs yet, so I went with the ebay 20 pack instead.

Them, and MDC (now pauseplaystop.com). About the same after currency conversion.

MDC had the best deal for a while (around $3 a disk).

I have been wanting to order some blanks from Pro-Tape, but can't get over high UPS shipping prices. Discs seem cheap, but shipping even within US kills the deal for me. Why can't they use USPS as it is cheap for us customers and USPS has never lost any package to me.

I came to the exact same conclusion, unfortunately. I don't think I'll be ordering from them anytime soon. The shipping starts to make sense when you order 30 or more (at least for my area). Even then it's a bit of a stretch. I know that it's more difficult for smaller operations, but "free shipping when you buy $X or more" is frequently what cinches a deal for me. That would certainly help.

Same with pauseplaystop.com. minidisco.com offers me free UPS ground on an order of 20 HiMD blanks. $99.00 USD. I'd say it's minidisco.com FTW.

I have been wanting to order some blanks from Pro-Tape, but can't get over high UPS shipping prices. Discs seem cheap, but shipping even within US kills the deal for me. Why can't they use USPS as it is cheap for us customers and USPS has never lost any package to me.

Edited by narp

The issue here is that not everyone is charging that high price or shipping. Stock isn't all that sparse yet in comparison with demand. Unless someone with a huge wad of cash and an MD fetish starts going around emptying people's stock soon, we have a fair amount of buffer for now. If stock were really dwindling that much, there wouldn't be so many places offering quantities of 50 or 100.

By the way. I quipped to Pro-Tape staff that UPS is expensive and they called USPS unreliable. I can't quibble that in some areas it is inconsistent, but I seem to have excellent results from USPS.

Edited by narp

narp,

I totally agree with you. Pro-Tape guy emailed me in response to high UPS shipping. He said that USPS is unreliable...which is odd as they rarely loose any parcels. And also mentioned that customers prefer UPS (costly) option over USPS (cheaper) option. Well, looks like those are some odd customers and I am sure I am not one of them.

sfbp: I have one of the 80 capacity Bryco racks. They are really made for DAT, and coincidentally each slot also fits two MDs in their slipcases. I've never mounted mine upright, but I'm not sure a single disc would stay in place even in its slipcase. I think it needs the second disc.

That said, I find mine useful as a tray. That way it doesn't matter if there are one or two, slipcase or not. I have seen these other places in the past, but the price is always pretty much the same. With flathead screws, I do think they would mount nicely.

sfbp: I have one of the 80 capacity Bryco racks. They are really made for DAT, and coincidentally each slot also fits two MDs in their slipcases. I've never mounted mine upright, but I'm not sure a single disc would stay in place even in its slipcase. I think it needs the second disc.

That said, I find mine useful as a tray. That way it doesn't matter if there are one or two, slipcase or not. I have seen these other places in the past, but the price is always pretty much the same. With flathead screws, I do think they would mount nicely.

Did you buy them in person from somewhere near you? If so I am sending you money and a begging letter to get me some :)

Sure. So I am back to the same problem as everyone else. You know, I think UPS pays these people a kickback.

It's that much worse to Canada because they charge $30-$50 to clear each shipment, and the whole thing is precleared ("more efficient you know") so no way to intercept it and clear yourself ie go to airport and convince customs it ain't worth their while to take $1.99 off you.

This guy apparently uses USPS--and the lowest rate is $12.95 US to Canada according to his calculator:

Bryco DRP-40 DAT rack Minidisc storage for 40 JVC tape

Are there additional customs fees that get charged even if the listing doesn't say so?

Sure. So I am back to the same problem as everyone else. You know, I think UPS pays these people a kickback.

It's that much worse to Canada because they charge $30-$50 to clear each shipment, and the whole thing is precleared ("more efficient you know") so no way to intercept it and clear yourself ie go to airport and convince customs it ain't worth their while to take $1.99 off you.

This guy apparently uses USPS--and the lowest rate is $12.95 US to Canada according to his calculator:

Bryco DRP-40 DAT rack Minidisc storage for 40 JVC tape

Are there additional customs fees that get charged even if the listing doesn't say so?

tyvm.

Flat rate shipping doesn't usually mean UPS, good stuff. If he uses USPS for the "higher cost options" then probably this is regular mail too.

Yes UPS charges are backend-ed onto me when it gets here, sigh (and that doesn't even include the relatively small amount the Govt will charge me for importing them).

$12.95 isn't too bad as long as it's mail. I just ordered 2 since the shipping is only 50% more.

Upon further search, Tape Warehouse in Atlanta has them. They're good people; I've bought from them before. I don't know who they use for shipping, but they do allow pickups. So if you can find a kind soul in Atlanta...

EDIT: Just saw that you've ordered already. Maybe next time.

Edited by bwil

Better the 悪魔 you know than the 悪魔 you don't know :P

Upon further search, Tape Warehouse in Atlanta has them. They're good people; I've bought from them before. I don't know who they use for shipping, but they do allow pickups. So if you can find a kind soul in Atlanta...

EDIT: Just saw that you've ordered already. Maybe next time.

Well my racks arrived today. Just a week, very good. I feel sorry for the vendor, who charged me $18.95 postage and actually had to pay $26. Customs cost me another $9.46 ($5.00 clearance fee to Post Office and $4.46 in GST, duty and sales tax) but that is soooo much better than UPS I didn't even complain when the postie had no change out of a $10 bill.

So far I have them filled lying down, tray-fashion. I'll think about a wall for them when I can find one.