24 Bit Atrac chip

Rate this topic

Hi to everyone!

I'm a proud owner of the Mz-Rh1....but also a Sharp Im-DR410H...this last one have and 24 bit atrac chip.

What's the diference betwen 24bit atrac chip and the normal one? it's any improvement on recording /playing feaure?

thanks!

What do your ears tell you?!

For me MZ-RH1 sounds much better than sharp....so, I asume that 24bit it's not equal to much betther sound quality, isn't it?

(probably if I use the sharp unit whit a 4 pole phones the sound would be more rich, but I'm not sure).

YES! I had a Sharp MD unit with 24-bit ATRAC and when I recorded through optical input, the music sounded crisp, clear with plenty of bass, thanks to it's X-Bass feature. It's sad that a $300 RH1 unit, doesn't have 24-bit ATRAC or X-Bass.

Edited by Chris G

Koss still makes these inline amp/equalisers for headphones (3-band only). I used to use them back in the 80s and I remember them working so-so. The main thing they helped me with was weak output from a headphone jack.

But the bottom line is wiz is correct. the RH1's reproduction is top-notch. If your source recording doesn't have deep bass, then it doesn't have deep bass. If it does and you're not hearing it, you need better cans (Sennheiser or Grado, anyone?) or you have a defective unit.

Speaking of which, I've been experimenting with recording with the little ECM-DS70P mic with my RH1, but it doesn't come with a clip or an extension. I realize I need to get an extension because it's picking up the motor on the unit quite distinctly. I think my RH1's stomach is growling :) I must feed it more.

Edited by narp

Chris-G, the RH1 maybe doesn't have what you're looking for, but for quite some, it is a godsend that Sony dropped the bloated, exaggerated MegaBass & Bass Boost sound colourings... For those looking for fidelity, i.e. true to how it was recorded, Sony high definition digital amp is a great improvement, especially when playing back linear PCM.

And if you crave boosting the bass so much, when the RH1 gives plenty of rich, tight & punchy bass, there might be something to do about the earphones or headphones you are using... or a faulty unit.

Enemy of Bass,

Nothing wrong with my RH1 and nothing wrong with my earphones. I just wanted that one extra notch of bass, or atleast make the bass 80hz instead of 100hz. I just think that a $300 unit should have all features, including Mega Bass. It's like buying an expensive sports car, without the horsepower and performance to justify the price.

Someone mentioned this 20$ gadget over in another topic: FiiO E5

Apparently it can make Kate Bush sound like Barry White. Maybe it'll work for you. :good:

Just kidding on the Barry White comment, but apparently it can boost the volume on your headphone jack and give you the bass boost you're desiring. It can be had for as low as $12.00 shipped on ebay.

Edited by narp

Speaking of which, I've been experimenting with recording with the little ECM-DS70P mic with my RH1, but it doesn't come with a clip or an extension. I realize I need to get an extension because it's picking up the motor on the unit quite distinctly. I think my RH1's stomach is growling :) I must feed it more.

Did you get the DS70P used? It comes with an extension in the original package. And yes, an extension is essential to use it with MD. I don't know how many photos I have seen with it just sitting on top of the unit--and they are all purely visual rather than practical, because anyone who tried that even once would hear motor noise.

Don't look for great bass or detail from the DS70P. Its frequency range is only 100-15000 Hz, not the full 20-20,000. Lowest note on a piano is 27.5 Hz. A better mic will really make the RH1 recordings sing.

Not "used" allegedly--bulk stock. It came in a little tiny ziploc baggie--just like.... never mind . :)

Did you get the DS70P used? It comes with an extension in the original package. And yes, an extension is essential to use it with MD. I don't know how many photos I have seen with it just sitting on top of the unit--and they are all purely visual rather than practical, because anyone who tried that even once would hear motor noise.

Don't look for great bass or detail from the DS70P. Its frequency range is only 100-15000 Hz, not the full 20-20,000. Lowest note on a piano is 27.5 Hz. A better mic will really make the RH1 recordings sing.