FS: Sony MZ-M200

Rate this topic

Sony_Fan

I think I'm pretty much done with minidisc. I've got an MZ-M200 unit in great condition. Works just like new. Here's what's included:

1.) MZ-M200 unit with rechargeable battery

2.) Sony factory remote control

3.) Sony factory earphones

4.) Sony factory USB cable

5.) Sony factory AC charger

6.) 14 brand new and sealed 1GB Hi-MD discs

What is NOT included:

1.) Original box and owners manual

2.) Cloth pouch

3.) Sony factory stereo microphone

4.) Sony factory microphone extension cable

5.) SonicStage CD software

In case you don't know, the MZ-M200 is identical to the MZ-RH1. Obviously you can download a newer version of SonicStage from the Sony website, as well as the owners manual. I'm including all the new Hi-MD discs because, there's no point to keeping them if I sell my Hi-MD unit. I'll try to get pics up later or tomorrow. Asking for $400 shipped, to the U.S. only. Paypal is accepted, but I would gladly take cash or personal check (assuming it's legit). This is a high value item, and can not take the risk of it getting lost to international shipping. Thanks.

Yes, and even though the pauseplaystop listing wizard mentions has "out of stock" listed for the M200, the RH1 is identical and you can pick up the missing microphone on ebay for practically a song.

I should note, though, that the topic starter isn't necessarily trying to deceive. People do overvalue things all the time quite quite innocently.

The following appraisal is assuming the pictures are decent and show a "great condition" specimen:

So, going from pauseplaystop's price of $300. I would subtract 100 for it being used and another 25 for the missing items, but then I would add 70 back in for the included HiMD blanks, and then another $30 for extra nice packing and overnight delivery: $275

Oh, I realize it was probably a fluke, but you should take note of what's in my signature. Mine is mint and everything included nearly so: the unit itself, manual, factory buds, charger/usb cables, and remote, all for $109 and change. If I didn't manage this coup I probably wouldn't have gotten into MD.

Edited by narp

I know the price may be too high, but figuring that these units are no longer being made and are almost out of stock on most online stores, it didn't hurt to try. I may hold on to the unit, until ALL MZ-M200/MZ-RH1 units are sold out and completely out of stock.

I suggest you hold onto it and USE it. It still has the best sound of any portable out there. Get some nice headphones and you'll be singing the praises of MiniDisc again--guaranteed!

That's the thing, I don't really use it at home because I just listen to music on my home stereo system. I don't want to take it outdoors either, because it's a $300 unit without warranty and don't want to take the risk of dropping it. I take my $25 NetMD unit instead, which has great bass and Type-S playback.

That's the thing, I don't really use it at home because I just listen to music on my home stereo system. I don't want to take it outdoors either, because it's a $300 unit without warranty and don't want to take the risk of dropping it. I take my $25 NetMD unit instead, which has great bass and Type-S playback.

Right. So why would someone pay you $400 for a unit with no warranty when they can get everything for $299 from pauseplaystop/MDC with a year's warranty? I know I wouldn't as I have been considering getting a backup for the precious RH1 anyway.

Cheers

Stephen

(OK I now noticed the 14 1GB disks, but that's more than many first time buyers would need)

Right. So why would someone pay you $400 for a unit with no warranty when they can get everything for $299 from pauseplaystop/MDC with a year's warranty? I know I wouldn't as I have been considering getting a backup for the precious RH1 anyway.

Cheers

Stephen

(OK I now noticed the 14 1GB disks, but that's more than many first time buyers would need)

It's $299 plus shipping plus cost of warranty. Here a few MZ-M200s on ebay selling for over $300.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksi...-All-Categories

I apologise. I misread the price. So really it's close to $250 if you count the 1GB's at $3 and less than that if they are market price.

$250 is the lowballer price. It is worth more than that, I will wait til all of them are sold out and out of stock. Then my $400 price will be deal.

Pictures of everything included:

Mz-M200.jpg

Hi-MDstuff.jpg

HiMDdiscs.jpg

opticalcable.jpg

I recieved a PM from another member encouraging me to sell my MZ-M200. Price drop to $375 shipped. Minidisc Canada WILL NOT give you 14 brand new Hi-MD discs with an RH1. So please, do not compare my sale to theirs.

I suggest you hold onto it and USE it. It still has the best sound of any portable out there. Get some nice headphones and you'll be singing the praises of MiniDisc again--guaranteed!

I was listening to Michael Jackson's BAD album on Minidisc (LP2). I listened to it on my MZ-M200 and on my NetMD unit. I could not believe that the music sounded better on the NetMD unit, and I used the same factory earphones on both units. The earphones are not the problem, it's the unit.

Edited by Chris G

I was listening to Michael Jackson's BAD album on Minidisc (LP2). I listened to it on my MZ-M200 and on my NetMD unit. I could not believe that the music sounded better on the NetMD unit, and I used the same factory earphones on both units. The earphones are not the problem, it's the unit.

goodluck with the sale, the hi-md discs are worth it for 375

NetMD unit lp2 sounds better than hi-md, are you sure?

No, the HiMD discs are worth $70 maximum and his unit is used, out-of-warranty. See my appraisal a few responses back. Chris thinks anything sounds better with bass boost on--a feature his M200 doesn't have.

goodluck with the sale, the hi-md discs are worth it for 375

NetMD unit lp2 sounds better than hi-md, are you sure?

Chris thinks anything sounds better with bass boost on--a feature his M200 doesn't have.

Thought you could adjust the equalizer via remote for more bassiness?

My RH1/M200 is out of warranty as well.. but I've kept it (or maybe tried) in pristine condition. More MDs on the way though and I've reached a point where I'm still scrambling on what music I should stick on there. :)

btw - there was a discussion MDLP and Hi-LP somewhere around here. If you transferred music from SS - doesn't matter which LP encoding you use - they're essentially the same. It's just the format that's different (the way HiMD uses new techniques in writing to a physical disc).

Edited by Levanel

Absolutely--but it's not that conveniently accessed as the bass boost switch. I've got a RM-MC40ELK on the way and I'm looking forward to seeing if accessing stuff gets more convenient as a result.

Thought you could adjust the equalizer via remote for more bassiness?

Absolutely--but it's not that conveniently accessed as the bass boost switch. I've got a RM-MC40ELK on the way and I'm looking forward to seeing if accessing stuff gets more convenient as a result.

If I may go off on just a bit of a tangent...I have lately had some interesting experiences with LP2. Basically, I don't see how it can sound as good as it does. I am hearing stuff I didn't notice before (not artifacts). This goes for both portable and deck. What they have in common is Type S. Noticeable drop off (still not bad, though) in SQ from Type S to Type R when it comes to LP2. Since I have never heard any Hi-MD, I cannot compare the LP2 w/Type S to that.

I'm new to this, so if this is old news or is simply wrong, forgive me. Based on what you are saying--if true--it sounds like SP encoding (at least on older hardware) dropped a considerable amount of information about the signal that it should not have. Even if LP2 is compressed, it may be superior simply because the way it samples the source is superior to the old way. And you are right--this is a bit of a tangent. The moderators will take action if they think it is necessary, though.

If I may go off on just a bit of a tangent...I have lately had some interesting experiences with LP2. Basically, I don't see how it can sound as good as it does. I am hearing stuff I didn't notice before (not artifacts). This goes for both portable and deck. What they have in common is Type S. Noticeable drop off (still not bad, though) in SQ from Type S to Type R when it comes to LP2. Since I have never heard any Hi-MD, I cannot compare the LP2 w/Type S to that.
Edited by narp

The other weird thing about the RH1 that's completely unique to it, is the dynamic normalization feature. My personal recommendation is NOT to use it. I agree that especially with D-Norm turned on, the RH1 is hard on the ears. I prefer the EH70 or the N910 or NH700, and now keep the RH1 for its special purpose - uploading things, that no other unit can.

No, the HiMD discs are worth $70 maximum and his unit is used, out-of-warranty. See my appraisal a few responses back. Chris thinks anything sounds better with bass boost on--a feature his M200 doesn't have.

The lowballers think the HiMD discs are worth$70. I bought them for $6.50 each plus shipping. So easily, all 14 discs probably cost me $100.

Why are expecting the price you bought the item for? That's outdated dude.

Hi-MD 1GB discs are no longer being produced. I've noticed on ebay the price of MD or Hi-MD items are going up, because the supply is shrinking.

Need to sell this, so I can buy the new Sony Touchscreen 32GB MP3 player.

The lowballers think the HiMD discs are worth$70. I bought them for $6.50 each plus shipping. So easily, all 14 discs probably cost me $100.

Hi-MD 1GB discs are no longer being produced. I've noticed on ebay the price of MD or Hi-MD items are going up, because the supply is shrinking.

Need to sell this, so I can buy the new Sony Touchscreen 32GB MP3 player.

I am done being nice:

I can buy 20 HiMDs from minidisco right now for $99 shipped--that's $4.95 each. Get a clue.

Edited by sfbp