Hand Hardware-- a rig for shooting video and recording audio at the same time

Rate this topic

ratbagradio

I've been experimenting with ways to carry my shooting rig around with me so that I can also hook it up to a recorder. I also wanted to run a microphone to the MiniDV camera -- a Canon MD 120.

Since I had a HiMD recorder-- Sony MD Walkman MZ NH 700 -- with plug in power microphones to go with it I wanted to integrate the two systems.

I also had learnt that if I'm on an "assignment" I needed to record much more audio than I'd videoed. I wanted a system which would enable me to keep the audio recording running while I selectively shot video . I also wanted better audio quality than the inbuilt microphone that came with the camera.

And since I podcast audio and videoblog in effect I wanted to get the best out of two separate mediums.

I had previously hung all this rig from bags and pouches on my person and it proved very cumbersome and hard to monitor and manipulate -- such as turning either device on or off. But I had been using the Ultrapod monopod for some time and loved it. The Ultrapod is a small, lightweight, folding camera tripod with adjustable ball & socket head and Velcro securing strap.

(I've also been using small camera tripods to support my microphones.)

So with a bit of Velcro strapping, I combed the lot-- Voila!

By rights -- and I've yet to confirm this -- the audio that runs from the HiMD should also be automatically gained before it is taken in as audio on the video as I run the HiMD audio out into the microphone in for the Video camera.

VIEW Slideshow of rig here.

I like it. I still think you could find ways to clean up the presentation and still retain all its Borg-ish charm, though. :)

I luv the Borgness. And with the Velcro on the wrist its like wearing a Dick Tracey watch.

As for a clean up...black cable? The complication is that as you pivot your camera you want to have plenty of give in the connections and while I'd like shorter cables I haven't as yet found commercial ones to suit.

I'd also like a better microphone mount (on a camera such as mine that has no shoe) and I'm still experimenting with options. I used Velcro there too but found it cracked when I moved the camera and the sound was caught in the audio.

But for me I solve a lot of problems of out and about recording of both audio and video.

Just on using camera tripods/monopods fro mics -- here area coipel of shots of the way I use small camera tripods to support my microphones.

2768018830_309f39dc9f_m.jpg2768028482_f689ddfbba_m.jpg

And the way the Ultrapod can be deployed to support cameras ...and mics!

ultpod_alt1.jpg

Very useful for public meetings to set up mics without dedicated stands..