ML_SONY

otiasj

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice work on the new-(ish) update.

The playlist and download functions are on the money.

I use Vista & WinAMP 5.35.

WinAMP crashes if I try to send a playlist from the Media Library to my player, but it's all good if I create the playlist in the player itself, so I have no issues with the plugin.

Thanks a lot, Otiasj. Your hard work does not go unappreciated.

For XP-pro I still don't know what the problem is. 1.0.3 works fine, but 1.0.4 isn't even find as an plugin by winamp. Someone encountered the same problem?

I'm getting the same issue, it is frustrating cause I really like to use ml_sony 1.0.4, and it is just won't be recognized by winamp, please help me.

Edited by Arik Amitzur

Hello!

I recently got a NW-A806 player from the A-80x series, and SS must stand for "seriously sucks" - wish I had waited for NWZ-81x series with open support. (eg NWZ-816)

Anyway I have tried to use ML_SONY plugin for winamp, from a fresh database, and it works.... but not very good.

I started from new database, loaded albums etc, transfer worked fine. HOWEVER, after unplugging USB, about one third (33%) of the mp3s don't play. I get an error "music file corrupted; connect compatible software to transfer music..." But many of the mp3 files play perfectly! Even the ones that don't play show all the ID tag info and everything....

??? What could be going on ???

Thanks......

• 2 weeks later...

I have a problem with the program.

Whenever I transfer songs to the player (NW-A3000), WinAmp crashes and closes when the last song reaches 100%.

When I start the player after that, it says "No songs found" or something like that, but if I check it from My Computer, I can see that the songs are still physically on the player.

Hello Everyone,

DJ X StreAM : thank you for pointing this out, it did not occur to me but

indeed it's possible that installing .net framework might solve this problem!

Concerning the problems of crashes during transfer or at the end,

it is probably a problem of tags.

Also keep in mind that if you transfer a song with a un-supported bitrate it won't be converted!

So that's probably why some song might no play correctly.

Finally some people experience some playlist problem with the lastest version of ml_sony

I did not find a fix yet.

Thank you for your support!

buggy, Winamp 5.5 detects the Walkman and shows its contents, but I haven't tried transferring music with it yet.

otiasj, nice to hear from you again. What do you mean by unsupported bitrates? I assume you mean not supported by the Walkman. I looked it up and mine supports 32-320kbps CBR as well as VBR. However, the songs that the Walkman plays badly are all CBR and within that range, so it must be some other problem. Any ideas?

I'm unable to transfer new/modified playlists with WinAmp 5.5...

Together with following facts

1) that you can't have two tracks with identical name from the same artist (in two remixes)

2) and that you can't modify a playlist without having all the songs on PC that your DAP is connected to *

...this makes me heading back to SS.

* I consider this one being a minor issue, SS has this limitation too (and it is heavily advanced in SS)

Still I'd like to THANK to otisj for his effort!

Too bad for me I can't make use of my Java knowledgde here, so I could extend ml_sony somehow. :o)

best regards

Yaroukh

I have a problem with the program.

Whenever I transfer songs to the player (NW-A3000), WinAmp crashes and closes when the last song reaches 100%.

When I start the player after that, it says "No songs found" or something like that, but if I check it from My Computer, I can see that the songs are still physically on the player.

Same problem here. Any one found a fix to WINAMP crashing during transfer and corrupting the database on the player?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone.

I'm not the most technically minded of people, so I apologise for my 'ignorance' :)

I've got Winamp to send music to my NW-A1000, which works fine, however I can't play or see the music on the device itself. When connected to my pc, I can see all the tracks.

I get the error 'No songs. Connect sompliant software and transfer songs.'

Do I have to upgrade/change anything on the device itself? If so, how?

Sorry to be a nuisance.

Thanks.

Hello Thefury,

if you have the latest firmware for your device, you don't have to update anything.

my advice is to start from a clean device. (delete every file and directory)

then the method to use ml_sony is described in the FAQ and in this forum.

I have the same device as yours so it should work properly.

regards,

Hi otiasj,

Thanks for getting back to me :) I appriciate it.

My device is completely fresh, (used innitialise disk)

My firmware on the device is the latest, as far as I know. It's 3.00.

ml_sony is in the plugin directory for winamp, and it detects the device, so that's working, as far as I'm aware.

However I am still getting the same error.

If your device is not recognise or if the transfered music does not work you might try :

1) format the device

2) Create a new directory "OMGAUDIO"

3) Create a file named "04CNTINF.DAT" in this directory

When I installed the connect program a while ago, I think it said something about the fact that Connect does not deal with .OMG files, and you had to convert them in order to to whatever.

If I need to create a new directory, called "OMGAUDIO" and make the file "04CNTINF.DAT", how do I go about doing this?

If I have done anything wrong, please let me know.

Thanks again :)

Hello theFury :

0) close winamp!

1) format

format means remove any file on the device that might be in the way...

go to your device using windows explorer and delete every file and directory on the device

still in the explorer

2) Create a new directory "OMGAUDIO"

still in the explorer

3) Create a file named "04CNTINF.DAT" in this directory :

just create an empty txt file and rename it (be carefull to correctly change the file extension from txt to DAT)

4) open winamp

send one file to the device using ml_sony (not the winamp device plugin!)

5) apply!

6) unplug and check if you can listen to the file

note :

ml_sony does not support "real OMG files", sony dropped this format last year. so you probably don't have to worry about those if you did not buy any song on the connect store.

ml_sony just put some OMG "headers" before the mp3 headers so that the device can understand the file format.

(Connect player does the same when sending mp3 files)

Regards

Hi otiasj,

Thanks for your help.

I device has been formatted, so there's nothing on it. I have created the "OMGAUDIO" directory with the file "04CNTINF.dat" in it.

However, I can open winamp (v5.32) and send music to the device via right clicking and sent to: USB Drive E. ml_sony is in the plugins folder for winamp, but is there anything else I have to do apart from putting the ml_sony file in the plugin folder? I ask this because I can't see the "+ apply" button :\ Is it supposed to be on the device or winamp?

Thanks again for the help, I think the fact that I havn't managed to get this working yet is annoying me as much as it must be annoying you, lol.

Regards,

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

the apply button is on the bottom right corner when you select your device in winamp,

I am not sure ml_sony works with v5.32, I never tested it.

If you can't see the apply button once you have sent some music on your device,

then you are probably not using ml_sony...

You are probably using the winamp "portable device" plugin (which doesn't work with sony walkmans)

There is a picture somewhere on this thread of the media library showing the apply button.

you might want to try an older version of winamp just to check...

(see the details in previous posts)

regards

Hi Otiasj,

First of all - huge thanks for good piece of software ;).

I was wondering if you are planning to make your library more platform-independent (i'm talking about linux of course ;)).

That would be a huge help for linux community.

When I recently looked at SVN repository I found there future linux library 'OpenSonyDb' (? - dunno, haven't found any info on this project).

I think there is no need to create another library when with little effort current lib could compile (and work) on linux (and especially there is no need

for using such big libraries like QT, from my point of view it should be more low-level).

If you're interested i can help you with this task (as a matter of fact I already managed to compile and simple-test it, but I did it in very unclean way. Real work should introduce some more refactoring).

If it worked it would be very nice, as i'm thinking about writing plugin for amarok music player (amarok.kde.org).

(yep, i also wrote something-like-that plugin a long ago (it was based on previous version of mlsony), it was working but not bugless and i didn't have time for debugging it. :>)

Once again, thx for GoodCode :)

Edited by White Moustache

Need some help with ml_sony

I have A808 Walkman & being smashed by SonicStage using 100% CPU downloaded ml-sony for winamp

All looking nice

but 1/3 of music files cannot be played - there is just a masage saying 'cannot play music file damaged. connect sowtware etc.'

how to fix this problem??

Is it an issue with mp3 files or the plugin??

Hello everyone,

White_Moustache :

Some people are working on a linux version,

They mentionned amarok plugin being in the scope of this project

but I am not sure what they are doing at the moment.

You are welcome to give them a hand!

I have asked one of the developper to contact you a give you an update,

Iwo:

Anytime an mp3's format is not recognised the tranfert is aborted and it goes to the next file,

reasons might be : unrecognised mp3 format, bitrate, header etc...

Your files are probably correct, the plugin is probably at fault.

Thank you

I was trying to copy/format multiple times & sometimes these same files are played correctly & sometimes not..

On a transfer of 450 files I couldn't play 1/2 of the music, so waiting for some new release of plugin with bugs fixed...

still more usefull than SonicStage (!!!!) but only half files played is a major problem...

Cheers

Some people are working on a linux version,

They mentionned amarok plugin being in the scope of this project

but I am not sure what they are doing at the moment.

You are welcome to give them a hand!

I have asked one of the developper to contact you a give you an update,

Hi Otiasj,

thanks for the reply. So far nobody have contacted me about linux version, but I'm still waiting.

I am wondering if there is really a need for fork and distinguish "windows" and "linux" library - it could be hard to maintain

(if there is a bug, it will have to be fixed in both versions (with probably different code)). I was thinking about making slight

changes to existing library (of course firstly out of the main tree, but after some testing merge with it) to be able to cross compile

one source files on both OS.

If that "Linux version" you are talking about is that "OpenSonyDb" located in SVN then I'm thinking that guys are not doing it

the bet way it could be done. I'll try to talk with them as soon as I get in touch wit them :).

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone. Many thanks for this amazaing plug_in which managed, after one year, to make me enjoy my A1200... I have been using it, without to much problems (occasional crashes, I had to reload all database) since january.

Yesterday Winamp permanently crashed. I reinstalled it, last version. No problem. I added the plugin : same crash.

So I can't use it anymore. ANYBODY, has ANY idea of what is happening? Is the new version of winamp not compatible (please god, please, noooooooooooo.)?

Hope a solution can be found, there is no way in hell I'm going back to freaking sonicstage

thanks in advance

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I have a sony NW-HD5 and therefore wanted to install winamp with ml_sony for it!

I tried to install it on winamp 5.35 (xp pro.) when it didn't show up i tried: option, preferences, configure ml_sony v01 .

when i tried this multiple times winamp always crashed.

i tried the same thing/had the same problem with winamp 5.53.

if anybody knows how to help me...

Thank u

modre

• 1 month later...

Apologies if this problem has already been raised/addressed, but I'm having distinct issues with the plug-in.

I'm using Winamp 5.531, ml_sony 1.0.4, Sony Walkman NW-A1000. The concept is great - I like Winamp, and don't want to use the Sony software, as it tends to be very to very very rubbish. However, the following problems have arisen:

i) I can't copy music directly from a playlist - the best I can do is right-click -> Send To: -> E: Sony Walkman. If I try dragging and dropping the music itself, Winamp crashes. I can drag and drop from the Media Library (Local Media), bu that takes ages.

ii) After having sent a playy-list to my Walkman, everything's fine, until I actually go to the Walkman window to apply the changes. Then Winamp crashes.

iii) After having manually moved all my music from Media Library (Local Media) to the Walkman, I tried applying the changes. Winamp crashed.

A slight problem is the lack of support for non-mp3 files, but I'm willing to live with that sacrifice.

If any more details are required to diagnose the problem, just let me know. Thanks in advance.

Edited by johnmic76

• 1 year later...

Hi, I'm not sure if this thread is still active or looked at.

Anyways,

I have the same problem that iwo had (see above) about two years ago.

I have set everything up correctly:

formatted device

restore factory settings

reformatted

created file and folder (OMGAUDIO/04CNTINF.DAT)

added plugin to winamp/plugins

opened winamp, added media to library

right clicked desired tracks send to:->F: Sony Walkman

Apply

Music appears and all seems to work, except about half the tracks give the error message "Cannot play; file is damaged. Please connect to compliant software or device and trasnfer again".

I used mp3val and "fixed" the tenuous problems that there with the tracks I was adding.

Repeated everything to load up the music for a second time.

This time a different selection of songs had decided not to copy correctly.

Any ideas? Or solutions?

Thanks

The "Ultimate" version supports all devices the official version 4.3 does, and may work with additional devices supported by 4.4 (newer ATRAC phones), but this has to be confirmed. Some devices (ATRAC phones, SONY MD decks, SHARP MD portables, etc.) require additional drivers to work with SonicStage.