MZ-NH1 vs MZ-RH1

Rate this topic

Abby Normal

Okay, I just went through the list of all the Hi-MD models. Why on earth does Sony produce so many different Hi-MD units. They should have only made 2 or 3 really good ones, and the rest trash them. I mean, there's the MZ this and MZ that.

It's not that I'm putting down the NH1, I just don't see it as being superior to the RH1. Sony did leave the best for last, even if it doesn't have megabass.

Okay, I just went through the list of all the Hi-MD models. Why on earth does Sony produce so many different Hi-MD units. They should have only made 2 or 3 really good ones, and the rest trash them. I mean, there's the MZ this and MZ that.

It's not that I'm putting down the NH1, I just don't see it as being superior to the RH1. Sony did leave the best for last, even if it doesn't have megabass.

Hombre, I don't know anything about the NH1 being superior, but that's got to be some prima mota you've got there. Sharing is caring, you know.

Seriously though, they make so many because people want options and they want to make money. They do the same thing with their new lines--only more so. There are many more flash-based Walkmans than HiMD Walkmans.

Here's a question from a member that got buried in another discussion. I wanted to make sure it got sufficient exposure so that Chris would be more likely to get his question answered.

Sony MZ-RH1:

1) No tracknames on the unit itself (requiring over-use of 1-line remote just to see track names)

2) No Group button on the unit itself (can't switch groups on-unit instantly)

3) No bookmark indicator on the unit itself. (from what I recall you need the remote to mark bookmarks, too)

4) No Group Release functionality (not available at all, quite a departure from earlier models)

5) dynamic normalizer in MZ-RH1, none in MZ-NH1

6) as I understand it, MZ-RH1 can charge from USB, MZ-NH1 cannot

7) by default, MZ-RH1 doesn't come with 3-line remote; only 1-line

8) OLED display on MZ-RH1 versus LCD on MZ-NH1 (advantages/disadvantages to each)

9) can't access all MZ-NH1 features without the 3-line remote, but as I understand it MZ-RH1 you can do it all with remote.

10) MZ-RH1 allows legacy MiniDisc digital uploads, MZ-NH1 does not

11) MZ-RH1 has controls on-unit that commonly fail with some use, MZ-NH1 does not

12) MZ-RH1 has big eject button that annoys some people, the MZ-NH1 does not.

13) MZ-RH1 has track-marking bugs that are apparently gone that were present in MZ-NH1 hardware and others.

The NH1 needs its charging cradle to charge. So you have the sleek looking unit but you have to carry around the base as well. Lose the charger, unit is useless.

That in itself is Game Over for the NH1.

But the RH1 also

1) has the best sound on playback, including native mp3. (Transcoded mp3s ...feh.)

2) is the only unit that uploads SP, LP2 and LP4,

3) is Mac-compatible

4) is years newer.

Whoever claimed the NH1 is better was uninformed. When it came out, the NH1 was supposed to be the deluxe Hi-MD. But the NH units were first-generation Hi-MDs, and the RH units followed (though the rest of the RH had various flaws). The RH1 got as much right as any Hi-MD unit ever did.

The NH1 needs its charging cradle to charge. So you have the sleek looking unit but you have to carry around the base as well. Lose the charger, unit is useless.

That in itself is Game Over for the NH1.

But the RH1 also

1) has the best sound on playback, including native mp3. (Transcoded mp3s ...feh.)

2) is the only unit that uploads SP, LP2 and LP4,

3) is Mac-compatible

4) is years newer.

Whoever claimed the NH1 is better was uninformed. When it came out, the NH1 was supposed to be the deluxe Hi-MD. But the NH units were first-generation Hi-MDs, and the RH units followed (though the rest of the RH had various flaws). The RH1 got as much right as any Hi-MD unit ever did.

I have to agree. Like I said, they did leave the best for last (even if they forgot to add Megabass). :lol:

13) MZ-RH1 has track-marking bugs that are apparently gone that were present in MZ-NH1 hardware and others.
I don't think there's any difference there.

Perhaps one of the most significant differences for those who record live to HiMD is that the RH-1 doesn't have to have its settings reset each time you do a new recording.

For recording, the RH-1 display is much better than the NH1. It's really a full size deck shrunk down to next to nothing. I have both but hardly ever use the NH1, and it's always the RH-1 that gets mentioned in nature and location recording circles.

Perhaps one of the most significant differences for those who record live to HiMD is that the RH-1 doesn't have to have its settings reset each time you do a new recording.

Yeah, that's a great feature which I totally overlooked. I like that this unit doesn't have earlier track-marking and on-disc-editing problems (or at least less of them?), to me that's a big deal. I'm reliability-focused.

But that's all outweighed by the controls that stuff up under normal use on the RH1 - that devalues it a LOT to me. NH1 I still prefer, overall. I record in sun, too, and I like seeing track names on-unit... I like the Group button and the flexibility to release a group. It all depends what's most important to you.

Best is a statement that's sometimes used but it's a statement I can't make, for both the RH1 or NH1. Both have strengths and weaknesses in different areas. I can't say one is best, only better or worse in certain areas.

It all depends what's most important to you.

Best is a statement that's sometimes used but it's a statement I can't make, for both the RH1 or NH1. Both have strengths and weaknesses in different areas. I can't say one is best, only better or worse in certain areas.

Well said. It's the usual thing - "Which is best, a hammer or a screwdriver?" Well, it depends on the task in hand.

I'd say that the NH1 is much better for a playback machine. The RH1 is definitely much better for recording, but I prefer the NH1 over it for playback.

Both are EXCELLENT machines.

I'm not a huge fan of the NH1's cradle, but this is a tiny tiny fault when the overall product is so great.

fan of both!

Guest Gray Rider

I keep thinking newer equipment sounds better because sony is able to use better electronics in them. I remember getting a sony d-ne900 and being blown away by it's cool futuristic sound. Even though it only required one battery to operate the lighter airy sound was actually better.

• 10 years later...

Folks, 10 years have passed and we, well, we have been living through such an unprecedented decade: just as we thought IT had changed the world, it transformed the world again! Who is still using her/his MiniDisc player(s)? What is the verdict now for RH1 vs. NH1? ;)

As for me:

1. I dug out my RH10 and found its OLED completely dead but it still plays well. (and all my MDs and Hi-MDs are still well)

2. I got a hold of a second-handed NH1 and i’m listening to it right now (Greatest Hits of Vivaldi)

3. Considering getting a RH1, just to remember the good old times. (Well, are there any left with working side OLED now?)

Greetings from China: Hope you all well!

DBF5E5EA-4DF7-4E2A-B0F2-F8BA81D51D85.jpeg

Hi Weiswang and other Forumlovers, I still own several Sony MD Recorders and use them on a regular base.

Recently I bought a MZ-RH1 with a working display, turned out batteries are expensive.

So I looked on eBay and found two other MZ-RH1’s, one with a small issue, both working displays and batteries.

Love my Sony MD Recorders.

Merry Christmas from Holland

Well, just as I'm so happy that I dug out my past music devices (and old memory), I started to desire more. Well, human --- you know. ^_*. Then I became frustrated --- after a few hours of working around I could have my Windows 10 recognize my Hi-MDs and capable of editing them but I just can't transfer my digital music to them with SonicStage 4.3 (English)....... It simply tells me: can't be transferred.

That's rather a complicated statement, covering many different formats. If you want to use HiMD on the RH1, then it *should* work out of the box, provided you can play the tracks from SonicStage. If you cannot play them, try deleting from database and re-adding.

If you want to make MDLP or SP disks, that's another issue entirely. You need to read about installing the NetMD driver (probably 64-bit). There are so many references here, I shan't repeat the information. The file you want is called NETMD760.zip (and of course the zip file's contents, .sys .cat .inf).

Hope this helps!

Note that if the "disc mode" on the RH1 is set to MD instead of HiMD, you WILL need the NetMD driver anyway, no matter what. You can get around this problem by changing the disc mode, but honestly you are better to bite the bullet and install NETMD760.