online social interaction is often less than ideal

Rate this topic

Abby Normal

If you'll humor me here, I'm going to go waaaaay off topic (the "etc" part of this forum's guidelines).

Much has been made of the fact that electronic communication can magnify differences because it lacks the subtle body language and other cues that usually mediate a live discussion. There have even been scholarly articles written on the topic (e.g. The positive and negative implications of anonymity in Internet social interactions: “On the Internet, Nobody Knows You’re a Dog”--abstract only, full text requires subscription). I myself have had experiences in which I had an online feud with someone, but after I met them in person I became great friends with them (I was even best man at their wedding). Anyone else have similar experiences?

Online interaction is just as good as in person ie. social gatherings, remember it's so easy to communicate with each other online after a hard days work - sharing common interests and ideas, whereas in person it wouldn't be feasible. My friends here (only cause I think we share the same 'jive here) are sfbp, Chris G and you too Abby - even though they wouldn't even know it.

Mind you, I'm not sure I'd want to meet you in person :)

Edited by netmduser