upgrading from Sony MZ-R50 minidisc

Rate this topic

asdf29

I have an old Sony MZ-R50. I want a 2nd minidisc recorder, for recording live concerts.

I got totally confused and lost when looking at ALL the available options. I am not going high-end.

I am a simple man.

I am HAPPY with my level of technology (an older model MD).

My question is: is there a better performing model for the same price? Which one(s)?

I see MZ-R50's for around $40-50 at ebay (though not lately).

I appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks for the suggestions. Believe me, I am googling each tip.

I am kind of embarrasssed by my lack of info....

MZ-R70...sounds 20 better than MZ-R50. Check.

NH-700...I can digitally upload? Wow.

As it is now, I have to manually play-back my tapes and capture them as WAV.

Thanks!

Edited by asdf29

Thanks for the suggestions. Believe me, I am googling each tip.

I am kind of embarrasssed by my lack of info....

MZ-R70...sounds 20 better than MZ-R50. Check.

NH-700...I can digitally upload? Wow.

As it is now, I have to manually play-back my tapes and capture them as WAV.

Thanks!

With the 700 only the discs you record you can upload, with the RH1 (newer and more money) you can digitally upload everything you have recorded,

Have fun

Bob

• 3 months later...

Id keep my mzr 50 as it is to me the best sounding SP recorder.

Other than that I would recommend any HiMD recorder with a mic input such as the still available new Sony HiMD minidisc player/recorder MZ-RH1. This allows you to fit one average concert onto a 80m disc in high quality and upload it to your computer, along with any old discs you recorded in SP mode in the past. This is the only model that can do this.

Hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...

Id keep my mzr 50 as it is to me the best sounding SP recorder.

Other than that I would recommend any HiMD recorder with a mic input such as the still available new Sony HiMD minidisc player/recorder MZ-RH1. This allows you to fit one average concert onto a 80m disc in high quality and upload it to your computer, along with any old discs you recorded in SP mode in the past. This is the only model that can do this.

Hope this helps

You Might want to let him know, that the RH1's on eBay or even from other sites are running at over-inflated prices, and that for less he could get an MZ-M200, which both does and is the exact same thing as the RH1 only without the big $$$ tag. It even comes with the ECM-DS70P one-point stereo microphone included in the deal.

You can get the M200 at either MiniDisco.com, the former MiniDisc Canada, Musician's Friend.com, Guitar Center.com, or even the very same place I bought my current MZ-RH1, B & H Photo-Video, but I recommend buying new MD/Hi-MD blanks on eBay, as many of the afore-mentioned stores are completely sold out of blanks, there are plenty of merchants I deal with on eBay that still have TONS of blank legacy MD's and Hi-MD's

You Might want to let him know, that the RH1's on eBay or even from other sites are running at over-inflated prices, and that for less he could get an MZ-M200, which both does and is the exact same thing as the RH1 only without the big $$$ tag.

I woulnt buy an RH1 on ebay only from a store or online store like Amazon-which is cheaper than the local Sony centre

Let's make it clear.

The MZ-RH1 and M200 are the same thing. Find whatever is cheapest. They are the only ones that will upload recordings made on the MZ-R50.

If you are making new recordings, the MZ-NH700 will upload its own recordings made in new uploadable formats: HiLP (passable), HiSP (like your R50) or PCM (CD-quality). But it will not upload recordings made on the MZ-R50.

• 2 months later...

I have for sale SONY MZ R50. New. In his box original and his bill.

Contact with pilarmmf@gmail.com

post-120334-126626294813_thumb.jpg post-120334-12662630281_thumb.jpg post-120334-126626300626_thumb.jpg post-120334-126626315414_thumb.jpg

I have an old Sony MZ-R50. I want a 2nd minidisc recorder, for recording live concerts.

I got totally confused and lost when looking at ALL the available options. I am not going high-end.

I am a simple man.

I am HAPPY with my level of technology (an older model MD).

My question is: is there a better performing model for the same price? Which one(s)?

I see MZ-R50's for around $40-50 at ebay (though not lately).

I appreciate any recommendations.