Getting audio off discs

Rate this topic

I recently found an old Mini disc player and a stack of discs. They have interviews and music I record live at least 10 years ago. I'd like to get the audio off the discs and onto my Mac. The machine itself is a NZ-N707.

To start the only other thing I have is the charger/stand. If I recall correctly, I need a plug that goes from the headphone jack to the mic input on my laptop and I can real-time record as it plays. I don't know what connector I need to go from the player to the mic jack though.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Mic-in might be mono; line-in would be the better choice quality-wise. There are external soundcards with line-in.

Nice catch, greenmachine. I've never had a laptop with a line-in, just mono mic-in--and boy, are those inputs noisy.

The Griffin iMic is a good cheap external soundcard. It's not a mic--it's a soundcard with stereo line-in and mic-in connectors. You can find them for under $20 on eBay. The first edition (circular, silver-gray) works fine and is probably cheaper; the second edition is white, flattened at one end.

Audacity (free Windows program) is a fine recording program, if you don't already have one.