Advice needed about seond-hand RH1

Rate this topic

Adjustments may help, though addresses will obviously be different (you need to check the service manual, and the service mode itself). AFAIK, the G755 even has a variable resistor next to the laser, which can also be used for power adjustments. But, as always, you need to know what you are doing, otherwise it is more than easy to damage the unit.

Adjustments may help, though addresses will obviously be different (you need to check the service manual, and the service mode itself). AFAIK, the G755 even has a variable resistor next to the laser, which can also be used for power adjustments. But, as always, you need to know what you are doing, otherwise it is more than easy to damage the unit.

Thank you, Since it is one of three 755's I have, I may just do some research and experiment. If anyone has knowledge of and usefull tips on the G755 please pass them along to me if you're so inclined.

-J

Anything that makes the disk blank, suspect a busted overwrite head. The one machine I have fixed for this complaint did indeed do a lot of crashing and bumping before I fixed it. It played ok, sort of, but the broken ribbon cable impeded free motion. Best to get it apart and see if you can see mechanical faults before suspecting anything with the electronics adjustments, IMHO.

Good luck.

Stephen

• 1 year later...

Service mode on the RH1 is NOT for the faint of heart! I would like to take the opportunity to re-iterate that I have observed ALL the reported behaviour above and that it went away without any adjustment whatsoever to the laser. The only things I have ever adjusted on the RH1 are the two screws (on the bottom) that hold the cabinet in place.

Getting to the service manual is very tricky. You have to set hold on (standard), hold Tmark, and press FF FF RW RW FF RW FF RW || ||

I wore out the jog lever on my RH1 learning how to get into service mode. Bad idea :(

I now have a laser power meter to hand, so I can actually check the laser output. But checking the HiMD3 parameters (for recording on 1GB disks) seems a lot more difficult as the disk you need costs upwards of $100.

I will report my findings (if I can actually GET into Service mode), just to see if Avrin's observations are correct.

Happy New Year

Stephen

Update: I cannot get into service mode on either of my RH1's, lol.

• 2 months later...

Service mode on the RH1 is NOT for the faint of heart! I would like to take the opportunity to re-iterate that I have observed ALL the reported behaviour above and that it went away without any adjustment whatsoever to the laser. The only things I have ever adjusted on the RH1 are the two screws (on the bottom) that hold the cabinet in place.

Getting to the service manual is very tricky. You have to set hold on (standard), hold Tmark, and press FF FF RW RW FF RW FF RW || ||

I wore out the jog lever on my RH1 learning how to get into service mode. Bad idea :(

I now have a laser power meter to hand, so I can actually check the laser output. But checking the HiMD3 parameters (for recording on 1GB disks) seems a lot more difficult as the disk you need costs upwards of $100.

I will report my findings (if I can actually GET into Service mode), just to see if Avrin's observations are correct.

Happy New Year

Stephen

Update: I cannot get into service mode on either of my RH1's, lol.

Theres two ways to get into test mode on this and more finicky players, one is soldering a jumper on SL802 or with a key combo.

I do it on my MD units like this.

Put a Disc into your machine, play it.

Put your unit on HOLD.

Hold one of GROUP, T-Mark or sometimes END SEARCH then For Units with buttons (F = >>|, R = |<<): F,F,R,R,F,R,F,R and then press Pause, pause, it should give you something like 008 V1.600 and flash every single display element. (you probably know this part already).

In Theory, Jog Units especially the RH-1/M200, you have to be VERY careful with the jog, dont press it down! otherwise it will register a play instead and mess up the code, so touch it gently, almost grasp it and make sure it doesn't press and do F,F,B,B,F,B,F,B, Pause Pause. Try one of GROUP, T-Mark or sometimes END SEARCH, I don't have an RH1 YET, so I cant tell which button it is for the master button, but it should be, T-Mark or volume(-), try all of them :D

TRY THEM ALL! AND DO IT FAST!