Small Scratch on MZ-RH1 US-Model

Rate this topic

ajk0952

This is the same off-shoot message from a previous post but thought it better to be a separate topic altogether.

Also, to everyone: Do you know of any way or manner of fixing or masking a small scratch mark on the body portion of the MZ-RH1? I didn't realize this, but on the back of the MZ-RH1, right in between the two lid compartment area, there is a small scratch mark. I understand that I might have gotten this by accidently using the small phillips screwdriver for tightening purposes. Normally, I wouldn't be so anal about something as small as this sort of problem but it just bothers me because it still looks and works like a semi-new unit and would like to keep it in excellent condition if possible. If anybody could relay any solutions to this particular problem would be greatly appreciated. Thank you once again.

You should post a picture if you can so we can get an idea of the length, width, and depth, and character of the scratch. When I was first taking pictures of my RH1 I noticed a tiny speck on the surface where the paint has come off, but I only noticed it in the pictures and only at a certain angle. I imagine yours is probably worse than that. I did take care of it in a rather unprofessional way, but it did the trick for my situation. I just barely touched the spot (I had to locate it first--since I couldn't see it hardly with the naked eye) with an extra fine Sharpie and then polished it gently immediately with a soft cloth. Do not do this :) At least wait until others have weighed in. Post a pic if you can.

I was going to suggest the sharpie trick too, with the matte finish of the RH1, you want to make sure you don't get any shine from the black ink on bare metal ... I bought my RH1 about six weeks ago and I have not even taken it out of the box yet, you are hardly anal ...

Okay, I feel somewhat like an idiot at this moment - let me explain haha. We can forget about this topic because I think the scratches came from the manufacturer...I have two distinct nanometer-ish lines (maybe like half a centimeter) across the left and right sides in between the two lid compartment area in the back of the minidisc (MZ-RH1). Another wierd aspect is that these two lines can be seen only at a particular angle in low light. In broad streaks of daylight or just a strong source of light, it's infinitismally difficult to notice. I think I'm just going to leave it alone - looks like I have a unique "watermark" so to speak. To an average John Doe, they would hardly notice the scratches. Thanks a lot for your help anyway for those who contributed opinions and whatnot. I'm amazed that a lot of people on this board own a lot of portable/standard minidisc decks/units. The MZ-RH1 is my only minidisc access and that is why I get overtly concerned about any problems that may exist on mine. Malaysia is a good manufacturer, I would assume? Does anybody want to weigh in on quality control?

Are you talking about just above the symbol (like a warped "trident") for USB connectivity? I see a couple of what I'd call manufacturing artifacts. Looking at the blow-up views in the service manual, the location of those marks appears to be on a flange attached to the lower panel and corresponds (coincidentally or not?) with a location on the main board where they describe two solder points for the overwrite head. Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it.

To Abby Normal: Hehe, let me try explaining it a little more clearer. If you look at the back of the MZ-RH1 and where the two screws are located...look in between the crevice of the two lid compartment area (there's an inner area split off from the two outer clamshell lids). The inner area is where the miniscule scratches are. And then in my previous post are the side effects or results from the scratches. I hope this answers your question.

To Abby Normal: Hehe, let me try explaining it a little more clearer. If you look at the back of the MZ-RH1 and where the two screws are located...look in between the crevice of the two lid compartment area (there's an inner area split off from the two outer clamshell lids). The inner area is where the miniscule scratches are. And then in my previous post are the side effects or results from the scratches. I hope this answers your question.

That's what I'm talking about. That little area in between is what I'm calling a "flange". The two little "marks" that I see on my unit are to the left of the USB jack, just above the symbol that identifies it as usb (the warped trident-like thing). The two marks are slightly less than one centimeter apart and don't look like scratches so much as what it might look like if someone polished off the matte coating from the black paint in just those two tiny spots.