HELP!: I just erased a VERY important live recording

Rate this topic

tharmon

I just erased a long live recording (irreplacable!) on a minidisc. Years ago, I knew how to use my old Sony JB-980 to restore erased discs. But when I upgraded to HI-MD recorder (MZ-RH1), my old JB-980 won't run the new format.

Will someone please help me restore my errased recording? I live in Southern California... This is a recording of my dear and beloved deceased relative that I must have recovered...

Thank you for your help..

Tom

Sounds like this is a Hi-MD recording? All HiMD recordings are encrypted, on the disk. The only people who actually have the master encryption keys, and therefore the ability to recover those recordings, are Sony Media Services. It is reported that you can pay them $50 or so, and they will try to recover your material from the disk. No matter what else, don't try to do anything with the disk (in fact it could well be too late) except to send it to them. I suppose it might be worth copying the visible contents of the Windows directory to somewhere but at the very least make the disk write-protected (open the tab on the MD). Even if you copy it, there's a work in progress to find out how to do all this stuff (decryption) but so far no actual results that will help you at all.

On another matter entirely, yours is only the second JB-980 that I have heard of over here (my own, just received, runs on 230 V and uses a stepup transformer). I am mightily intrigued how you got it and what power source it uses. Was it a Japanese import? My deck seems to have been made in Europe, FOR Europe, and no indication on the webpage that the 980 was ever available anywhere else.

Good luck with your disk!

I just erased a long live recording (irreplacable!) on a minidisc. Years ago, I knew how to use my old Sony JB-980 to restore erased discs. But when I upgraded to HI-MD recorder (MZ-RH1), my old JB-980 won't run the new format.

Will someone please help me restore my errased recording? I live in Southern California... This is a recording of my dear and beloved deceased relative that I must have recovered...

Thank you for your help..

Tom

Describe How you erased it ? and did you finalize it ( Edit mode -> erase / format -> yes/no-> "writing system files " then disc off and removed )

or did you try to record something extra on the same discs , and then it didnt write correctly ? Describe more of what happened , then better help can be given or the situation can be better understood .