Hd1 USB cable

Rate this question

darkangel9685

Question

5 answers to this question

Both the HD1 and HD3 use an industry-standard A to mini-B USB cable which are available cheaply through any computer store.

However both the HD1 and HD3 also have a proprietary connector on the unit themselves meaning you can't just plug the cable in directly.

The HD1 requires the BCA-NWHD1 dock/cradle which a standard mini-B USB cable then plugs into. The HD3 requires a silly little "mini-dock", the BCA-NWHD3, to plug the cable into.

Both of these are rather expensive from Sony as replacement parts. The HD3s connector is over $50 US and the HD1s dock is more expensive than that I believe. The HD3s mini-dock will fit the HD1, however the HD3 will not fit in the HD1s dock/cradle (without modification to the dock) as it is slightly thicker than the HD1.

Even on eBay both of these parts (BCA-NWHD1 and BCA-NWHD3) are usually bid up to high levels (usually found only from UK sellers as well).

It isn't really worth the trouble to get another one unless yours is lost/stolen or you don't have one for some reason. The cost is fairly prohibitive.

Right now, I have the cradle hooked into the laptop on my desk ( i will post a pictorial/review once i have some time), and I wanted the cable so I transfer stuff cradle free, as it has to be plugged an AC outlet when in use, so I can only transfer from that one spot.

However, with the cable/mini-dock thingie, I have freedom of movement!

Also planning on getting another cradle for the desktop PC...should I?

Guest Stuge

Can`t say much but i think you can easy carry & use the same dock that you are using at your office ..why spend o more than $70-100 on just a dock .. :blink:

The dock is like some of our body hair and wisdom teeth left over by evolution...in the dock case the MD style dock.

Consider the fist HDD from Sony, HD1 had the dock.

On the other side, the 'mini-dock' of HD3 maybe included due to the design of it, to save some space for the usb socket?

But, anyway, any accessories would cost unreasonablly, to the consumers. You want a cable, just like mentioned just use any USB cable will do.

Right now, I have the cradle hooked into the laptop on my desk ( i will post a pictorial/review once i have some time), and I wanted the cable so I transfer stuff cradle free, as it has to be plugged an AC outlet when in use, so I can only transfer from that one spot.

However, with the cable/mini-dock thingie, I have freedom of movement!

I see what you mean but consider the cost of these things, lol. Buying another dock for your HD1 and a mini-dock for it as well will probably cost you just as much as buying an HD3 with all the accessories, lol. In that case you could probably just get an HD3 and use the minidock on either. You wouldn't get another cradle but you'd have an HD3 as well...

What's absolutely retarded about the connector on both the HD1 and HD3, however, is the fact that it is nearly useless. It can't do anything other than DC input and USB connectivity. Meaning there is no audio through that connector. Had Sony actually done something smart, audio would have been in that connector as well (there are actually enough pins to carry L, R and GND but they are just unused); and they would have included docks with both players with line audio output. But Sony couldn't do something like that because that would require thinking, LOL.

Since all you get is USB and DC in, why not just put those connectors right on the unit? (I already made a thread about this, lol). They only thought about that at the HD5 and then they only thought of putting a real dock connector on a unit with the A-series only they messed that up as well because the separately available dock connector for the A-series doesn't include USB connectivity unless you use the original cable.

WHEN SONY? When will you get it right? It's quite simple. Make a connector at the bottom of the unit. It must provide three things. 1. USB; 2. LINE audio output at all times; 3. DC/charging input. On the dock include three things 1. USB mini-B STANDARD connection for USB connectivity, not some dumbass proprietary cable; 2. RCA or minijack analog and/or optical digital LINE level output jacks; 3. DC input for the AC adapter.

Is that so hard? End Rant. Sorry but the dock connectors on the HD1/3 are fairly useless, on the A-series they did better but it's still stupid. It's highly annoying they can't get this right.