SI: Sony™'s Gorgeous New A-Series Walkman Features OLED, Up To 64GB Capacity

Rate this question

Christopher

Question

PIA0001001071

Sony has unveiled the latest update to the A-Series Walkman line with some serious features. The new NW-A840 series, available in black and brown, simply is the most brilliant Walkman offering from Sony to date – it has all of the features people have been asking for in previous Walkmans while shedding what it needed to. In my opinion, this is the most stylish appearance I’ve seen in a personal media player – and it has a jaw-dropping 2.8 inch WQVGA OLED screen. This is also the thinnest Walkman ever created at only 7.2mm. Sony has also finally come to the table with a better assortment of capacities – with the NW-A845 (16GB, Y24,000), NW-A846 (32GB, Y30,000), and NW-A847 (64GB, Y40,000) all due on October 31st. What’s also new for the first time is a TV-out function, that can output at 720×480 (SD) quality.

PIA0001001072

There is no Wifi or touchscreen. Let’s face it – the browser on the X-Series was a disaster. The X-Series Walkman used an old CPU and lacked the memory needed for an optimal iPhone-esque browser experience everyone has become accustomed to.

PIA0001001073

Of course, the newest A-Series is drag n’ drop, which also includes for the first time autoconverting video transfer! Additional features to round out this sweet package include a S-Master digital amplifier, FM radio, digital noise canceling (which we really think is incredible) and comes with premium MDR-EX300SL earphones. That is a really nice pair of stock buds to come with a Walkman – I am glad to see they didn’t skimp out. Other premium features to color your sound include DSEE, Clear Stereo, Clear bass, and lyric display.

I’m seeing here that the new A series has about 29 hours battery life at 128kbps, and 9 hours of video playback at 384kbps MPEG-4. Codec support looks like MP3, WMA, AAC, HE-AAC, ATRAC, ATRAC AL, PCM/wav. I assume ATRAC support will probably be limited to Japan, but we are not sure yet. For movies, the usual AVC (H2.64), MPEG-4 and WMV are allowed.

Here’s a keen introduction video courtesy of Sony Japan:

Sony also released a picture of a special SonyStyle limited edition Violet NW-A847:

PIA0001001085

This information, brought to you in English, is a Sony Insider exclusive, brought to you here first.

View the full article

This new player looks amazing, especially the screen and thinness. However, the TV-out is interesting. When will Sony integrate their Walkman players with the Playstation Network to playback videos you rent or purchase? While I can certainly watch them on my PSP, having it on the Walkman too would be great, especially with this beautiful screen - and TV-out.

How disappointing that Sony don't think anyone outside Japan needs 64GB.

Who is the brains behind all this?? Seriously! Okay, I know Japan models always have the nice features that get stripped down for release elsewhere - but capacity?

Who decided only the Japanes need 64GB? It reminds me of when the A829 was released, and 16GB was available in some countries, with only 8GB available in others. What's the logic behind all this? No one outside of Japan could fill a 64GB model??

Gawd, get me a 64gb Sony A Series SOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I sold my Cowon S9, and I use a Cowon O2 for videos. My S639 is strictly for my music, and the capacity is a bit tight. I NEED the 64gb sexiness to hit the US!!!!! ARRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Sony SQ has me hooked,....................................:new_russian:

Are they even bringing it out outside of Japan? The other topic mentioned that in the replies O-o

I really want the 64GB, I has moneies burning a hole in my pocket and my aging A808 is starting to get a little cramped and rusty it seems O_o

(But still pumping out the ATRAC ;) *hinthint sony*)

Are they even bringing it out outside of Japan? The other topic mentioned that in the replies O-o

I really want the 64GB, I has moneies burning a hole in my pocket and my aging A808 is starting to get a little cramped and rusty it seems O_o

(But still pumping out the ATRAC ;) *hinthint sony*)

no, it doesn't seem so ,as suggested by Cnet .

Have a look at sony.co.nz . They have just redone their web site and have updated promotion pictures in the mp3 walkman area. You will see that there are pictures of the new OLED A-series in a couple of places in the "Walkman Advantage" tab. They aren't listed in the actual devices for sale but they must be coming soon - surely!

More news!!!

Sony Australia hides NWZ-A84x info in plain sight

How to confirm the portable player is recognized by the computer as a Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) device?

Applicable Models:

...NWZ-A845,NWZ-A846...

http://www.sony.com.au/support/faq/299049/productcategory/pa+mp3+walkman/nomodel

More news!!!

Sony Australia hides NWZ-A84x info in plain sight

http://www.sony.com.au/support/faq/299049/productcategory/pa+mp3+walkman/nomodel

Hmm...Interesting this is.

Think they're just trying to eek out the X series for as long as possible before releasing the A84x?

As thats what everyone will buy once it appears :P