Please Help - Forgot to Use SS Backup Tool to Transfer - Am I Screwed?

Rate this topic

mua

This is my first post and I am in a panic mode. I have done some research but forgive me if my post is redundant. We recorded all the audio for a documentary film using the Sony Hi-MD recorder (can't remember the model name right now). I had a problem with my hard-drive and had to replace my old hard-drive and in the process I forgot to use the backup tool to transfer my SonicStage Library. So, now I have all my SonicStage library files on an external drive and of course SonicStage will not let me import the files. Am I screwed? Any workarounds? Will Sony do a one-time decryption for me? Please help! Thanks.

Try http://www.sonymediaservices.com/

Otherwise known as the Last Chance Saloon.

It's not going to help with your current problem but, in future, forget the Backup Tool.

What you need to do is run the File Conversion Tool--part of the SonicStage program group, or under Tools in SonicStage (it runs with SonicStage closed, not open). It removes the decryption from the files so that they become playable via any SonicStage or ATRAC unit, and you can save the .omg files or convert them to mp3.

If you haven't upgraded SonicStage to at least version 4.2, you should.

Realistically what you need is the keys from your previous installation. Even then I am not sure if they are tied to the CPU (motherboard or CPU serial num?) or what....

Avrin is honestly the only one here who can reliably tell you how to revive this lot if you can get the keys of the old disk, so I'll leave it to him.

AFAIK, there's no way to use DRM'ed files on another machine. The authentication keys are linked to various hardware/software parameters of the original installation, and the protection scheme is quite serious, so there is no way to "fool" SonicStage to play DRM'ed files from another installation, even from the same PC (e.g., after a Windows reinstall w/o any hardware changes).

So, the only option is reconnecting the old hard drive the way it was connected before (to the same channel of the same controller!) and removing copy protection from all files by using the File Conversion Tool. If you still have your original recordings on Hi-MD, you may try re-uploading them.

Contacting Sony Media Services doesn't look like an option in this case, since they only recover information from damaged Sony media.

Thank you all for the advice. I fortunately found the old drive where I had exported the backup (using the Backup tool). Luckily I was able to recover everything from that (whew!). I have learned a hard lesson never to use SonicStage as a library. This is too scary. I am going to immediately export everything as uncompressed .wav and store it separately. Which software do you folks use as an audio library? Thanks!

If you have everything working, simply unprotecting the files will make them playable on any machine that runs SonicStage.

Of course if you have only live recordings, yes, WAV would be good, but of course it takes up a lot of space.

Glad you got sorted. Welcome to the forums!