SI: Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs Still #1

Rate this topic

Christopher

cloudy003

I recently saw Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs in 3D (Sony Pictures Animation) at the theater with my girlfriend here in Roswell, Georgia. This was the first time I had actually seen a full animation in 3D as well, and my girlfriend’s first polarized 3D movie. I was not surprised that the glasses they gave us were RealD’s polarized 3D glasses, which I saw earlier in the year at CES 2009. It really seems that RealD has solidified the 3D market – I see them absolutely everywhere. I’m surprised Sony hasn’t purchased RealD by now, as they have consistently used RealD 3D glasses in every single major Sony corporate, tradeshow, and 3D theater presentation for a considerable amount of time.

cloudy004

Cloudy was a really good flick – as I reported back in 2008 it was a based on the bestselling children’s book written by Judi Barrett. The animation was outstanding, the story was amusing and charming all over. It’s no surprise that a smart comedy with a little bit of drama being told in stunning graphics can pull good numbers in. Cloudy only had a 19% drop in revenue compared to last week and made a respectable $24.6 million, while most movies will drop 50% on average. This is a great family flick – it’s also cute enough for a date (if they are lighthearted).

2009_cloudy_with_a_chance_of_meatballs_037

As for the 3D experience, I truly believe the movie was made for 3D, and I wouldn’t want to see it regularly. A kid would absolutely cherish this movie, and probably be hungry afterwards. So try and feed them before you go. Each item falling from the sky was more impressive than the next (namely because they got bigger), and the overall wide shots felt like they had incredible detail because of the dimensionality of 3D. I’m not so sure if the sense of depth was as good as live 3D, but I’ll deal with it. My girlfriend liked the movie alot, and for someone who gets headaches easily the 3D didn’t bother her. She was impressed with the 3D and would gasp at times, and even afterwards kept the glasses. How naughty.

The movie didn’t feel too long and I felt interested to keep along with the story. It seems like often when I watch things the story loses me after a while but this was fun. Cloudy will definitely be a hit in the long run, and it’s Blu-ray release could coincide with the launch of 3D at home. Highly recommended.

View the full article