Tascam releases new MiniDisc deck MD-02/MD-02B

sharpsony

Hi folks,

while other manufacturers including Sony have omitted the MD, Tascam has just announced to release a new professional MiniDisc deck called MD-02/MD-02B.

post-62654-125534156654_thumb.jpg

Tascam U.S. press release

Tascam U.S. product page

Tascam's German product page

In Europe, Tascam offers a basic version MD-02 without XLR connectors besides the MD-02B, while the U.S. page shows only the fully equipped MD-02B. MSRP in Europe is EUR 549 for the MD-02 and EUR 599 for the MD-02B.

The decks can already be ordered at some European e-tailers.

Hi folks,

while other manufacturers including Sony have omitted the MD, Tascam has just announced to release a new professional MiniDisc deck called MD-02/MD-02B.

post-62654-125534156654_thumb.jpg

It looks nice. I don't see anywhere what version of ATRAC it uses or if the LP is Type S, though.

Very interesting, just wonder which ATRAC it has?!?

And you have some portable MiniDisc recorders I drool after, the Sharp DR470

(that I couldn't afford when it was for sale) and the sexy Kenwood DMC-L7R,

even if I have the sister model from Sharp in a delicate golden tone ;-)

• 4 weeks later...

I think it says ATRAC3. This looks pretty sweet! If I had to theorize as to why it doesn't feature Hi-MD, I'd guess that this is a release of something Tascam has had in existence for a while; perhaps has had manufactured for quite sometime and is ready to start shipping. How much would you guess it'll go for $900?

Very interesting, just wonder which ATRAC it has?!?

And you have some portable MiniDisc recorders I drool after, the Sharp DR470

(that I couldn't afford when it was for sale) and the sexy Kenwood DMC-L7R,

even if I have the sister model from Sharp in a delicate golden tone ;-)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is great news. It seems to have the same capabilities as my beloved Sony MDS-JB940, including the extremely valuable keyboard input. So if my JB940 breaks I'll be able to get an equivalent machine. I just hope the rack-mounting attachments can be removed.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll be able to get an equivalent machine. I just hope the rack-mounting attachments can be removed.

Yes, can be removed. Look the images on http:/www.tascam.com/products/md-02b;9,19,3809,18.html Just unsrew the rackmonting plates. Same solution as MD-350 which I purchased 2009 as sucessor of MDS-JB 930QS. Pretty good deck.

Regards,

Wolfgang, Germany

• 2 weeks later...

I think it says ATRAC3. This looks pretty sweet! If I had to theorize as to why it doesn't feature Hi-MD, I'd guess that this is a release of something Tascam has had in existence for a while; perhaps has had manufactured for quite sometime and is ready to start shipping. How much would you guess it'll go for $900?

I believe it is because Sony never licensed HiMD to anyone else, probably because no one cared at that point.

I could find no mention in the User's Manual about SCMS on the MD-02B. So I wonder if this deck has it or not. Pro or not, can't assume anything. And I still don't know if it's Type R or Type S. I suppose I could just ask Tascam, but in the past, when I have asked them for any sort of tech info, I received no response. (Compare to HHB, which quickly got back to me on exactly what DAC my Burn-It had.)

• 3 weeks later...

Amazon is selling it for $540 - a bit pricey, but not insane.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello from NYC,

I just acquired the Tascam MD-02B, and it sounds fantastic. The problem is WHERE is the Auto-Pause, or Auto-Stop on the Unit???

This is a huge necessity for me and the Theatrical playback I do. I have other older Tascam and Sony units and it is very clear on the

remote or the face of the unit...Am I crazy and not seeing how they are providing this function. Please Help ASAP!

I need to use this unit Tonight!

Thanks All,

Geoff

Thanks for the response sfpb.

But I can't believe this oversight, and Tascam/Teac in California has yet to answer me back from a call this morning.

This is terrible.

If true this format is dead!

Geoff

I went through every instance of "auto" in the MD-02B User Manual and there was no auto-pause or auto-ready, or auto-anything that would indicate the functionality you need. I am sorry to report this. Unless there's some undocumented way to do it, it just is not there. Seems odd, since the prior Tascam MD deck, MD-350, seems to have had that feature. Please post here if you ever do hear back from Tascam.

• 2 years later...