is the MZ NH1 a good choice ?

Rate this topic

cm16600

hi everybody i own a RH 910 i am quite happy with it but i find it a bit too noisy compare to the net md MZ n1 i had.I find it a bit bulky too.

I might have the chance to buy a MZ NH1 and 'i'dlike to know if it it is a nice unit or if there is major drawbacks? is this unit as good as the RH 910 ?

thanks for your help.

chris

These points come immediately to mind (tho I'm sure there are others):

Pros:

IMHO the most beautiful of all the portables - very sleek and lightweight.

From my own experience a real work-horse. I've had problems with several of the other Hi-MD machines, but not this one.

Has speed control on playback

Date-stamps recordings

Cons:

Limited functionality on unit - you need the RM-MC40 remote

No "side-car" for AA batteries. Once the internal battery has exhausted, you've had it.

Requires its own unique charging stand.

Used without the remote, the display is very limited compared to the RH910's.

If only you could transfer MP3 files to it without conversion to ATRAC, I'd use it all the time (and would have three or four stockpiled in reserve)

Thanks Hungerdunger ,you helped me a lot i won't purchase the unit i want to be able to transfer mp3 without converting to atrac .

You will not be able to tell the difference of an mp3 that has been atracted, there is no difference in sound, if you have a chance to get an NH1, get it.

I have the RH and NH, same song on both sounds the same, it is your bitrate not thing else, that determines your sound. There is no time difference in transfer.

Get the NH1

Bob

There is no time difference in transfer.

Are you sure about that bobt?

Maybe it's my ageing computer (about 6 years old, 2GHz, 1GB RAM), but I find there is a HUGE difference, which is why I now use my RH1 more than my NH1.

I've just done some tests using SonicStage 4.2.

Transferring 14 music MP3s totalling around 50 minutes to my RH1 with no conversion took 1 minute 30 seconds. Using the RH1 to convert them to ATRAC 256kbps took 4:36, and doing the same conversion on my NH1 took 7:05.

The results with one 45 minute podcast were even worse. The RH1 took 22 seconds with no conversion while the NH1 took 11:15 to convert it to ATRAC 256.

As I download and transfer around 15 - 20 podcasts per week, you can see why I've been using the RH1. What I'd like to know is whether my results are representative, or can I expect improved performance from my NH1 when I treat myself to a new PC early next year.

Are you sure about that bobt?

Maybe it's my ageing computer (about 6 years old, 2GHz, 1GB RAM), but I find there is a HUGE difference, which is why I now use my RH1 more than my NH1.

I've just done some tests using SonicStage 4.2.

Transferring 14 music MP3s totalling around 50 minutes to my RH1 with no conversion took 1 minute 30 seconds. Using the RH1 to convert them to ATRAC 256kbps took 4:36, and doing the same conversion on my NH1 took 7:05.

The results with one 45 minute podcast were even worse. The RH1 took 22 seconds with no conversion while the NH1 took 11:15 to convert it to ATRAC 256.

As I download and transfer around 15 - 20 podcasts per week, you can see why I've been using the RH1. What I'd like to know is whether my results are representative, or can I expect improved performance from my NH1 when I treat myself to a new PC early next year.

May be your computer, I have never stopwatched it, but using the NH1, 800 or 600, or the RH1 files seem to take the same time no matter which I download to, I use the series one machines for a lot of my use because if I record MP3's on the RH1, onlt the RH1 will play them back, if I use the others all the machines will play them back.

My machine is an Acer running Vista, 16 GHZ (I think) 3 GB RAM

Bob

Hi BobT can you tell me more about the operating noise when the mechanism works ?(sorry for my english )

What operating noise? (Never heard anything, other than a very small amount when finished and info is being wrote to disc)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I've recently found an attractively priced NH1 but I'm really concerned about the USB speed. There seems to be conflicting ideas here, and even the user's manual doesn't give me any info. I know for a fact the RH1 and M200 are USB 2.0, but there's no info on the NH1. What are the factual numbers on this unit? Is it old series one 1.1 speed or is it 2.0 like the new ones? It's a pretty unit and is up for a nice price, but I hate transferring thing from the Gateway Dinosaur, so I'd rather transfer my uncompressed .WAVS and go. I appreciate any responses on the matter. Thank you, James.

Hey guys, I've recently found an attractively priced NH1 but I'm really concerned about the USB speed. There seems to be conflicting ideas here, and even the user's manual doesn't give me any info. I know for a fact the RH1 and M200 are USB 2.0, but there's no info on the NH1. What are the factual numbers on this unit? Is it old series one 1.1 speed or is it 2.0 like the new ones? It's a pretty unit and is up for a nice price, but I hate transferring thing from the Gateway Dinosaur, so I'd rather transfer my uncompressed .WAVS and go. I appreciate any responses on the matter. Thank you, James.

Unless you are going to use it as mass storage you have to use Sonic Stage, get 4.2 or 4.3 or Arvin's ultimate. Speed is not a factor, music goes in fast.

Bob

I plan to put in uncompressed .WAVs mate, they take forever to go from my dinosaur (other pc) Gateway to my flash drive, so I don't want to be sitting there till the next coming of Jesus waiting for my music to go in. So does anyone know what the USB speed of this thing is? Because if it's slower than the RH1/M200, I'll just buy one of those. I also do plan to use it for mass storage. Save the 1 gig discs and buy a bunch of old regular MDs and use those for things too big to keep on the PC but too small to bother with putting on a cd. Thanks guys, James.

AFAIK - no MD unit is USB 2.0 - the optical drive cannot handle that speed (EDIT - my understanding is that the later units "support" USB 2.0 but don't really transfer any faster than USB 1.1 speeds because of the limitations imposed by the optical drive).

Regarding the other discussion about transcoding MP3 to ATRAC - of course it takes longer the first time you transcode the file, and of course you lose quality. You may not be able to tell, depending on an almost infinite number of factors. However, once the file has been transcoded, it remains on your hard drive (unless you set the options to be deleted after transfer) so it doesn't take any longer the next time you transfer the file.

• 4 weeks later...

So, basically, whether I get the more expensive rh1/m200 or the cheaper nh1/rh10/rh910 putting data and music on the disc are going to be the same? That doesn't seem right since external cd/dvd burners work just fine at their advertised write speeds. Well, if the former is true then I simply must suffer for my listening pleasure, but I might try to get the 2.0 models since I'd likely be copying stuff from discs used for data. I still reckon it would be silly to make a more expensive unit that doesn't have a faster writing speed, if even by a a factor of two or four since other optical media go that way. Though I am aware that MO is accurate because it's pretty much obsessive compulsive, but being 2.0 should count for something, if even a slight improvement in speed. There anyone out there who have one of each who would be kind enough to take a fairly large sized file and put it on a disc using one of the earlier then the newer units to have a fairly good representation? I'd do it myself but I don't have that sort of cash on me. However I must admit to being quite attracted to the Sony PCM-M10, it's just not as cool as MD. On a side note, if anyone has info of that unit too it would be greatly appreciated. If I had the money I'd get both, especially since the PCM-M10 looks like a Walkman, big plus for me. I just hope it can play directly from a flash drive or external hard drive plugged into the USB port like those car stereos, now THAT would be awesome. Thanks for the info folks, James.

There anyone out there who have one of each who would be kind enough to take a fairly large sized file and put it on a disc using one of the earlier then the newer units to have a fairly good representation?

I've just transferred an 11.5MB, 25 minute, 64kbps mp3 podcast, converting it to 256kbps, using a 1Gb disc. On my NH900 it took 5 minutes, 35 seconds; on my RH1 it took 4 minutes, 29 seconds. If you were happy to transfer it in its native mp3 format, it would take something like 20 seconds, but then of course it would only be playable on the RH1 and RH10.

Thanks a lot Hungerdunger, I appreciate your time and effort. Looks like I will get the more expensive one after all, probably acquire a cheaper older type for running around with. Thanks a lot guys, James. BTW, Hungerdunger, is there any chance you'll sell one of your RH1s since your profile things lists you having 3? Everyone on Ebay wants to charge me 340 or so, and the lightly used ones with a bunch of accessories are gone, at least for now. Just a thought. Never mind though if they're all your babies, I'd completely understand. Again, thanks.

BTW, Hungerdunger, is there any chance you'll sell one of your RH1s since your profile things lists you having 3?

Sorry; my oldest one has started misbehaving recently, so I'll probably change my profile down to 2, and I really need to keep both of them for future-proofing. But keep checking ebay regularly. On the UK ebay, you find they tend to go for around 170 - 200 UKP, but then one slips through at a much lower price for no apparent reason. Maybe you'll get lucky.

Hey guys, you can still get an RH1..... in silver, from Audio Cubes II, here is the link:

http://www.audiocubes2.com/category/MiniDisc/product/Sony_MZ-RH1_Hi-MD_Recorder.html

You can also find them on eBay from eBay seller "buyfromjapan". I have dealt with them for the majority of my remotes and short-corded headphones and IEM's, and they have always made me glad to have chosen them compared to other sellers.

Forget the cost, it is because it is being shipped from Japan, and they ship via EMS express mail service from Japan in conjunction with your local postal service where you live. I have dealt with Audio Cubes before and they make sure that you are not only get your order fast, but also that you are happy with it.

If you ask me, the silver units from Japan are more high-tech looking, very sleek and oh, how sexy compared to classic black. BTW, they both operate the same, the only differences I can think of between a JP version of the RH1 and the ones for the rest of the world maybe just simply be a language barrier as well as that they come with the Japan-market version of SonicStage, and maybe a japanese user manual. But other than that, that's about it.

Hey guys, you can still get an RH1..... in silver, from Audio Cubes II, here is the link:

http://www.audiocubes2.com/category/MiniDisc/product/Sony_MZ-RH1_Hi-MD_Recorder.html

You can also find them on eBay from eBay seller "buyfromjapan". I have dealt with them for the majority of my remotes and short-corded headphones and IEM's, and they have always made me glad to have chosen them compared to other sellers.

Forget the cost, it is because it is being shipped from Japan, and they ship via EMS express mail service from Japan in conjunction with your local postal service where you live. I have dealt with Audio Cubes before and they make sure that you are not only get your order fast, but also that you are happy with it.

If you ask me, the silver units from Japan are more high-tech looking, very sleek and oh, how sexy compared to classic black. BTW, they both operate the same, the only differences I can think of between a JP version of the RH1 and the ones for the rest of the world maybe just simply be a language barrier as well as that they come with the Japan-market version of SonicStage, and maybe a japanese user manual. But other than that, that's about it.

I still prefer the black myself, looks more business like and professional, but whatever floats your boat I say.

Hey guys, anyone know of a reliable source of these things for under 350 bucks? Ebay seems a bit dry right now, and although beachcamera has MZ-M200s for 340 with free shipping, their recent feedback has me running for the hills, has anyone come across if not a great deal, something that won't leave a very bad taste in my mouth? Amazon is out, and for now all the lightly used Ebay ones with a bunch of extras that people like to throw in have all been nabbed up. I hate that now I finally have the money for one of the blasted things there are none to be bought. The universe hates and is out to get me it seems. I appreciate any and all feedback. Thank you, James.