an interesting discussion about the Sony ES serie

Rate this topic

PhilippeC

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/29255/boo-hoo-my-sony-mds-ja555es-minidisc-deck-goes-in-for-repair-tomorrow-o

Since I have the opportunity to buy a JA555ES, with TOC writing problem but I will use it only for listening,I was searching for more information about this problem and I found this old post on another forum.

I read the whole thread (all 7 long pages of it). Seems to me the two times that electronics fail are:

1. in the first month

2. 1 week after the warranty runs out.

So anything that has lasted a couple of years and works, is at least as likely as brand new equipment, to work nicely. Especially when the item is top of the line or something new.

I have had very good luck with Sony decks, though (just as in the thread) I had a Sony MDS-JE510 (my first md unit) die on me.

I also heard the comment that the JB9xx series are as good as the ES series. I am very pleased with my JB980 and there are numerous positive comments on the others in that range.

Note that in the middle of the same thread, the principal poster concludes that for Pro gear, that the MDS-E10 is a better deal than the MDS-E12 unless you actually need XLR input, especially since the E10 has optical. Combined with the fact of no SCMS, I would take the MDS-E10 (though I don't have one) over the JA555ES and JA333ES, based on this thread and the poor guy's experiences.

Stephen

I have a MDS-B5 (100€ from e-bay France). It work proprely with an amazing sound. That is why I choose to come back to SP mode for all my standard Mds (200). That take months to re-record everything in real time from my Cyrus Dad5 or from my computer with an optical out, Winamp/DFXAudioEnhancer). I don't succeed in recording from a optical source with my MDS-B5 (don't test analog source yet). Because I have a MZ-RH1, a MZ-NH900 and a MZ-N510 - all type-R (S) - I am not to sad about my recording problem with my MDS-B5. I only hope that the listening capacity will work years.

For another deck, I have two choice, one is to buy one in Nhat Tao area (Cho Lon) around 70$ but 90's one or one in the center of the town in Vietnam no far away from my home(see my list http://forums.sonyinsider.com/index.php?showtopic=24631) for more than 200$ (even found a "brand new" one type-S deck in another shop). For bookshelves or boomboxes the choice is wide, see http://forums.sonyinsider.com/index.php?showtopic=24325&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1 .

I own a JB920QS (bought used) and a JA333ES (bought new).

Yes, the JA333ES has Scale Factor Edit and LP2/LP4 modes, that are not available on the JB920. But, for my usage, the JB920QS is the clear winner. The JA333ES lacks precision for editing. I edit a lot, typically a hundred divide/move/combine/erase per disc, defragmented with the MDS-W1 when needed. I have encountered two problems with the JA333ES:

1. Hardware problem. The AMS knob of the JA333ES is fragile and fuzzy. It is difficult to control, for example it often decreases (!) the current value when operated clockwise. I works better (but not perfectly) when rotated counter-clockwise, so I tend to edit mostly backwards. It is a pain to divide and title.

2. Software problems. Firstly, each step degrades to a chunky 2/85s, instead of 1/85s on the JB920QS. Worse, the divide rehearsal mode is not reliable. When you chop the tail of recording, let us say before the first applause of a live recording, the rehearsal mode will not play the last 1/85s. After divide, when you play the edited track, the last 1/85s may still contain the clap sound you wanted to chop off. To be safe, you have to chop 3 or 4/85s before the actual noise. This is unacceptable on a deck that price !

There is another punishment inflicted by the expensive JA333ES: the record-ahead buffer holds only 12s of MONO sound, instead of 24s for the JB920QS (!!) Very bad for live recordings.

In my opinion, the relatively cheap series MDS-SD1, MDS-JE520, MDS-JB920QS, and the glorious MDS-W1, are unbeatable (again, for my usage, based on heavy editing of live MONO recordings).

• 2 weeks later...

I've found the JE780 to do very, very precise edits. I use the remote for preciseness, I forget if I can do them on the faceplate... I think I can, its the fast forward buttons at pause/divide editing. Really good. Plus as for HIGH quality sound, its a great performer. The only thing that I wish it had was ES/QS level build. Its got a metal body, but a tad thin like the mediocre but good 480 but slighly more elegant in champagne. Just my input to the discussion.