Any help gratefully received: hiMd / win7 / Mac

Rate this topic

badkat

Hi there,

Well, after using the forums for many years....and spending hours getting side-tracked while sourcing information... I wondered if I could check the information I have gleaned ( I think!!) before going ahead with a very long overdue new lap top purchase. Everyone's always been really helpful in the past - especially as my computer literacy is a bit limited.

I'm using an MZ RH-1 (also have a working NH-900) to mainly record live gigs in hiMD mode (mostly hi-SP, occasionally hi-LP) but have got masses of archive recordings on MDs in SP mode.

My debate is over whether to buy:

1) a new PC lap top running Windows 7 professional 64 bit(which I'm assuming then gives me the option of running sonic stage 4.3 in the XP compatability mode((does this automatically kick in when the RH-1 is connected??!))) with the ability then to upload my archive recordings via the RH-1 (when I can invent some more hours in the day) and continue editing them with Audacity or CD-Wav editor as I do currently before saving to cd.

OR:

2) a Macbook Pro - to upload any hiMD recordings I have already / make in the future (with hiMD music transfer version 2.0)and then edit with Audacity etc, (and get to utilise the benefits of a Mac for photographs/video editing which I also do a lot of) but have no way to USB / hi-speed up-load my archive recordings - although, if I was to run XP in Parallels could I upload by archive SP recordings via Sonic Stage 4.3, save as WAV and then edit them either still with the XP software or move over to the Mac OS editing software?

Hope this makes sense - and I apologise if I'm repeating previous posts...just struggling to get my basic knowledge around all this info before paying out

Hi There

Just caught your thread and all i can say is xp compatability mode is not as straightforward to run as it seems to appear. i had a similar problem that i experienced with my new laptop and wanted to operate net md etc. Here is a link that might help to shed more light

#http://windows7news.com/2009/04/25/windows-xp-compatibility-mode/

i dont consider myself a total novice in the IT dept but I have struggled with this! I hit my brick wall when I discovered that my brand new laptop(win7 pro compaq presario) wouldn't support a virtual pc. There are ways of getting round this I believe but haven't been able to spend the time on it yet. If I were to think again about the situation and take hindsight into account, and running your mini disc set up is a necessity, I would be sorely tempted to get a machine that has full xp op system on it already and then everything would be a doddle! Or the other option is to stick with windows vista(32 bit) it runs net md and hi md beautifully, but as an operating system it is horribly slow to boot etc. For more detailed advice please read my thread as some experts have included their advice also. good luck !

I would go with the Mac and XP in Virtual Box (open source) with SonicStage 4.2. This is my setup for the RH1/M200 and has been flawless for 8 months. I use Sony's Hi-MD Music Transfer for Hi-MD recordings to upload to Mac, and SonicStage for other recording formats.

• 2 weeks later...

I would go with the Mac and XP in Virtual Box (open source) with SonicStage 4.2. This is my setup for the RH1/M200 and has been flawless for 8 months. I use Sony's Hi-MD Music Transfer for Hi-MD recordings to upload to Mac, and SonicStage for other recording formats.

really baturjan? can you tell me how to achieve that? I have an RH1 and am trying to get it to connect to a Mac G5 to do HI MD transfer but with no results. I tried the "HI MD music Transfer" software (admittedly version 1.0) that came with the RH 1 and nothing; you can see the gear connected and LOOK AT the track listing on the media within the machine but not do ANYTHING with it- not even play it.

Is "Virtual Box" a PC emulator for Macs? Does the Sony HI MD Music transfer thing just not work on Macs?

really baturjan? can you tell me how to achieve that? I have an RH1 and am trying to get it to connect to a Mac G5 to do HI MD transfer but with no results. I tried the "HI MD music Transfer" software (admittedly version 1.0) that came with the RH 1 and nothing; you can see the gear connected and LOOK AT the track listing on the media within the machine but not do ANYTHING with it- not even play it.

You should remove version 1.0 and install version 2.0. Do a google search for the link. Hi-MD Music Transfer will enable you to transfer:

Mac to RH1: WAV and MP3 (there is a stipulation on the type of MP3, you can read the pdf for Hi-MD Music Transfer 2.0 for that. I no longer have the file)

RH1 to Mac: PCM, HiSP, HiLP recordings, and WAV/MP3 files that you put there from the Mac.

Hi-MD Music Transfer allows you to look at these files on your RH1. You can title the tracks and folders as well as rearrange them.

Is "Virtual Box" a PC emulator for Macs? Does the Sony HI MD Music transfer thing just not work on Macs?

Virtual Box is Sun Systems virtualization software for the Mac, that enables you to run Windows on your Mac. It's freeware and can be downloaded from their site. After you install Virtual Box, run Virtual Box to install Windows XP. Then install SonicStage 4.2 in Windows and you can do everything that SonicStage can do, and now on your Mac.