SI: Sony NWZ-A845 OLED Walkman Launches In Europe, Asia Pacific

Rate this question

Christopher

Question

PIA0001001072-450x578.png

Sony Europe has stated that the latest A-Series Walkman, the NWZ-A845, will be coming to the continent in February. The new A845 is part of a larger NW-A840 series, which initially had a Japan-only debut in late 2009 and has been available there in black and brown and up to 64GB. Unfortunately, it seems that Sony Europe is going to offer only the 16GB model in black, which is odd because I thought they would surely hit the market with a large capacity player – at least 32GB.

UPDATE: It appears that the Asia Pacific region is going to get the 16GB and 32GB Sony A840 series Walkman in February as well.

We have some doubt that the A-Series will show up at CES 2010, but then again the S745 is selling unannounced by Sony Canada so anything is possible.

The reason why I say this is according to one of my contacts, Sony had this set for a CES reveal but I think that the American MP3 player market is too volatile and Sony may not have wanted to make the gamble. This is why we might be seeing region-specific launches. The latest A-Series Walkman is absent from some more recent Sony CES documents I’ve witnessed. So my contact and I are literally betting a beer as to if it is going to launch at CES or not.

If you have forgotten, this simply is the most brilliant Walkman offering from Sony to date – it has all of the features people have been asking for in previous Walkmans while shedding what it needed to. In my opinion, this is the most stylish appearance I’ve seen in a personal media player – and it has a jaw-dropping 2.8 inch WQVGA OLED screen. This is also the thinnest Walkman ever created at only 7.2mm. Sony has also finally come to the table with a better assortment of capacities – with the NW-A845 (16GB, Y24,000), NW-A846 (32GB, Y30,000), and NW-A847 (64GB, Y40,000) all due on October 31st. What’s also new for the first time is a TV-out function, that can output at 720

16 answers to this question

Sorry to say this, but if Sony doesn't release a 64gb model in the US, they've lost me as a customer. I even convinced my oldest son, a 64gb iPod Touch owner, to sell his player and get this if it's released in the USA. But we BOTH require a 64gb model. I have an Archos 5 for vids, and my Sony S639 for audio - I've waited long enough for a sufficient capacity upgrade from Sony.

Give us the 64gb of Sony goodness - or say farewell!!!

To borrow an Internet Meme:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU......

Seriously, what reasoning is there in not bring over the higher capacity models? They went to the trouble to translate the 16GB Walkman software for Europe, surely the software can just be copied over to the larger memory and sold?

Seems like Sony goes out of there way sometimes to annoy its consumer base

*holds self back from ranting about their Vaio's and lack of support for Windows 7 on older models*

Sorry to say this, but if Sony doesn't release a 64gb model in the US, they've lost me as a customer. I even convinced my oldest son, a 64gb iPod Touch owner, to sell his player and get this if it's released in the USA. But we BOTH require a 64gb model. I have an Archos 5 for vids, and my Sony S639 for audio - I've waited long enough for a sufficient capacity upgrade from Sony.

Give us the 64gb of Sony goodness - or say farewell!!!

I'm with you Darkside. I cannot figure out why they go to so much trouble to annoy their customer base. Especially in hard times like these when a person is not going to spend his/her cash on something that's "nearly" good enough. SONY have been "nearly" good enough for too long in my opinion which is an absloute shame given that they are well positioned to give the customer exactly what they want. 64GB in Europe Sony or I'm gone. BTW I have also shifted my loyalty from Sony Ericsson phones because of complete lack of innovation or anything that even comes close to the competition. I'm a Palm Pre owner now.

On a lighter note isn't great that such trivial things are all we have to complain about.

That link has nothing to do w/the 64gb model being released in Europe or the US, so it's useless.

It was useful for me. Not everyone is looking for the same thing in the same place.

I hope to get a 32GB A846 when it goes on sale here in Singapore next month. 64gigs would be nice, but it's not an absolute necessity for me right now and knowing Sony, would probably be eye-wateringly priced anyway. Scary thing is, I have a feeling the 32gig model will be too. If the price of $499 in the scanned pic above is in AUD it'll be no joke... but I've waited too long for something worthy of replacing my trusty A806.

Here is a meaty review for your enjoyment :)

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mobile-review.com%2Fmp3%2Freview%2Fsony-a845.shtml&sl=auto&tl=en

Thanks LG1. The translation makes for some interesting reading. I am most interested in the difference in sound quality between the X walkman and the a845. In the review the reviewer says: "Another point - we need to understand who in the Walkman line of the most important.. Theoretically, a series of X as a featured. In my opinion, this model is closer to the PMP, than the traditional players, and is a separate branch. It is possible that stillborn, let's see whether the company is to develop multifunctional players in the 2010th year. If we talk about thoroughbred portable audio, the Sony Walkman A845 can safely be called a flagship. I had the opportunity to compare the hero of today's review of Walkman X, listening to the same composition. Initially I thought that X is better because more detail, not as obtrusive bass, plus a variety of equalizer settings do not spoil the music. We A845 is just such a situation, as it seemed to me, the best result is achieved, if not use "uluchshayzery" in general. To put it figuratively, "Mister X" seems to handle the music more thoroughly.. But the A845 is another advantage - it is more cheerful. How to explain it to listen to the electronics, then the clarity and accuracy of Walkman X legs not being asked to dance, while the 845th is really "lights". Moreover, his equalizer just have to get used to, or use the manual installation. As a result, I can safely say that X and A845 are very similar to music and do it much better than most regular players for consumers. Huge stock volume, clear bass, great handling the full range of frequencies and a warm, tube sound. In all that relates to sound, Sony Walkman A845 better-known models from Apple, Samsung - this is my subjective impression. Is a real "Summoner chills", since the A-808 is a wonderful quality not gone anywhere."

I'm not sure what device they are saying is better. Sounds like they are saying the sound of the X walkman is more thorough whereas the a845 is brighter or something. Anyone know what this guy/girl is saying????

He is saying that the x-series technically has better sound but the A-series is warmer and might have a better feel to it. Maybe he means for upbeat music or something the A-Series is better.

But the main point of the whole review is get your head out sony, lower your prices! Bring new features that people want, nobody wants an mp3 player that has features like its from 2005

Just got my NWZ-A845 to replace my old but sturdy NW-HD5. The player does have better sound quality and the display rocks and all, but the slight set back in capacity is a tiny downer. I can see why you would want to get at least a 32g or 64g version of this especially if you are planning to watch a lot of video on it; which just looks amazing on it. 16g is enough for me tho and more would only be nice but isn't really needed. What I do miss is a decent way to manage my music on the player itself, to exclude or remove music mainly.

Since I tend to get a regular amount of new music every so often I find myself skipping the same track repeatedly and an option to just remove the track or to place it on a blacklist or something would actually be really handy or rather a must in my opinion, seeing that there is a wish-list option I would think that putting up a blacklist option would be possible to. Even more so because of the somewhat limited amount of space on the device.

Some sort of easy access rating system could be nice as well; given that it doesn't give to much fuss in applying it.

Just as a hint in-case some programmer reads this stuff; I would split the first options-menu that you enter from the playback screen in two separate once, where the second part can be accessed the same way as you access the (quick) search now in which you place the more specific information about playing/access while the original holds the options that would normally be used more.