Anyone still have the in_atrac.dll Winamp plugin?

Rate this topic

A440

I've simply re-uploaded the decoder to MediaFire: http://www.mediafire.com/?jahzvgfgzow

Just download and run the EXE (it's a self-extracting RAR archive with an installation script) - it unpacks two files, ATXDEC.AX and ATXPARSER.AX, to the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 folder, and then registers them in the system. Then you may use any standard Windows player to play non-DRM ATRAC3[plus] files, without installing SonicStage. The decoder doesn't support gapless playback though.

Edited by Avrin

Guest Talisin

Hi guys! I have read the post, and asking myself some question my girlfriend made me a few days ago. Is there anyway to get oma files appears in windows media center or media player? I mean, with Avrin plugin you can play them in WMP, for example, but having to do it manually, but she'd like to get them organized in WMC or WMP library,with covers and the more, as she did when she used mp3s (luckily she's in love with the minidisc player I gift her :D ).

Any ideas? Thanks!

Avrin, many thanks. Got 'em!

I've found foobar to be kind of ugly and clunky, and boy does it take a long time to rip anything, but I see it is finally calling itself a 1.0 version, so I'll give it another try.

Oh yeh, foobar is definitely not good looking.. but it does its work, and uses few MBs of RAM.

It also encode to mp3 fast.

I have never tried to rip with it, I usually use EAC or Trader's Little Helper for FLACs..

I have the v1.0 beta5, I am satisfied.

I think you're probably correct, sfbp. Do you know how to do that? :S

working on it... got as far as being allowed to add the files to library but not sure what to put in

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Multimedia\MPlayer2\EXtensions\.oma

There's a bunch of values there that I haven't yet figured out how to fill in (look at the other extensions).

I bet Avrin knows :)

Stephen

Guest Talisin

Mmmm, that's interesting. I don't know to much about touching Windows Register, but I think I'm going to use the fantastic restore options in Windows 7 and makes some tries in that register key.

And hope Avrin can help us ;)

PD: If we got this, guys, I know of a girlfriend which is going to have a big thanks to this Forums :)

working on it... got as far as being allowed to add the files to library but not sure what to put in

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Multimedia\MPlayer2\EXtensions\.oma

There's a bunch of values there that I haven't yet figured out how to fill in (look at the other extensions).

I bet Avrin knows :)

Stephen

There is a wealth of information on required registry settings here: http://www.sonymatom.../index.php?Tips

I've prepared a REG file to automatically enter all these settings into the registry, and attached it in a ZIP-file to this message. After importing it to the registry, start Windows Media Player, go to Tools>Options...>File Types, and you'll see an "ATRAC file (oma)" line there. Check its box and click OK, then OMA files will play in Windows Media Player similarly to MP3 and WMA.

Note. Please use an updated file from Post #18 below to avoid entering unneded settings into the registry.

Edited by Avrin

Guest Talisin

Downloading just now.

Avrin. In which bank account do you prefer the money, that from Swiss or the Seychelles one? :P

There is a wealth of information on required registry settings here: http://www.sonymatome.com/sonicstage/index.php?Tips

I've prepared a REG file to automatically enter all these settings into the registry, and attached it in a ZIP-file to this message. After importing it to the registry, start Windows Media Player, go to Tools>Options...>File Types, and you'll see an "ATRAC file (oma)" line there. Check its box and click OK, then OMA files will play in Windows Media Player similarly to MP3 and WMA.

There is a wealth of information on required registry settings here: http://www.sonymatome.com/sonicstage/index.php?Tips

Very amusing. I guess it's time to get out babelfish again.

That was fast! I knew you could do it!

Cheers

Stephen

Guest Talisin

Well, I have installed it and...of course, it works fanstastic!!!! Thanks tooooo much Avrin, you have save me a lot of time and research (and I don't think I could get it anyway :P). Now my girlfriend is very happy cause she can have all multimedia in only one place, and using sonicstage only to transfer to MD. :D

And as I promised, here is my girlfriend:

Ljossalfar: thanks a lot for your help. I'm not too much into computers guts, but you have help me a lot :)

PD: I think this must be a pinned thread, doesn't it?

It looks like the first two blocks in the REG file (that write to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer) are not needed. An updated REG file is attached to this message. The blocks won't do any harm, they are simply useless.

Note. After entering all required OMA settings into the registry and enabling ATRAC in Windows Media Player, there is no way to fully remove this, since Windows Media Player creates a lot of additional registry settings for the new format. An OMA line is even added to the WIN.INI file.

atrac.zip

It looks like the first two blocks in the REG file (that write to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer) are not needed. An updated REG file is attached to this message. The blocks won't do any harm, they are simply useless.

Agreed.

What IS missing is

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Player\Extensions\Descriptions

which doesn't seem to have been updated (need to add ";*.oma" without the quotes, on the end).

This makes sure that when you do Open a file that the oma files show up in the list.

It's not as easy as it may seem. The HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Player\Extensions group contaings several slots (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, and 9) that have some functional meaning for the program (audio files, video files, streams, etc.). I.e., you can not arbitrarily add new slots or add extensions to existing ones. E.g., you can add OMA to slot 1, and it will work, but you'll need to do this through manual registry editing, since the slot may contain additional extensions added for various codecs (e.g., FLAC, APE, etc.), and if you use a REG file based on default formats + OMA, it will remove possible previously added extensions.

Guest Talisin

Hi guys. Sorry, I can't help with registry cause I don't know almost anything about it, but if you need someone to try something, please, ask me.

Another thing. I have discovered that WMP 12 under W7 doesn't let you do rewind/fastforward in atrac files. You must hear the entire song. I have seen this behaviour in my pc and my girlfriend's one, both with W7. Does it happen the same to you?.

Guest Talisin

Ok , guys, thanks. Then I have to suppose that the problem is MP12 or W7. When I found any freetime I will try a virtual machine with Wxp and MP12, in order to see where the problem is. I will let you know when I discovered something :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Note. After entering all required OMA settings into the registry and enabling ATRAC in Windows Media Player, there is no way to fully remove this, since Windows Media Player creates a lot of additional registry settings for the new format. An OMA line is even added to the WIN.INI file.

Hi Avrin,

I am confused-do I install this instead of the one on mediafire, or both , to let me play oma files?

I am using Vista and Media player V11.06

Thanks

The entire thing contains two parts.

1. The SONY ATRAC3[plus] decoder that allows playing ATRAC3[plus] files in Windows Media Player (and some other programs). This one is posted to MediaFire.

2. Additional registry settings that simply make it more convenient to play such files in Windows Media Player. These are in the attachment to Post #18 here. The settings are not required if you are happy with manuallly adding files to Windows Media Player.

The entire thing contains two parts.

1. The SONY ATRAC3[plus] decoder that allows playing ATRAC3[plus] files in Windows Media Player (and some other programs). This one is posted to MediaFire.

2. Additional registry settings that simply make it more convenient to play such files in Windows Media Player. These are in the attachment to Post #18 here. The settings are not required if you are happy with manuallly adding files to Windows Media Player.

Thanks Avrin, youre the best!

How does all this registry manipulation differ from just using the "open with" wizard and then choose media player ( to always play it ? If you then double click an atrac file, media player attempts to open it, but you get a pop up that says it may or may not be able to play the file as it doesnt recognise its type.

If you then choose not to show this pop up again, double clicking an atrac file or even dragging onto media player does the job you expect?

Using the "Open With..." Wizard and then disabling the pop-up also works, and is definitely safer. But the registry file adds a bit more information, so Windows Media Player treats OMA files more like any other media files it supports. But the playback quality should be the same in both cases.

Guest Talisin

Hi Guys. I have tried a virtual machine with xp and wmp 12, and the problem is the same, so maybe is something about wmp. I have to test it more deeply. Also, testing this a new question arise.

When connecting a HI-MD to windows, wmp recognizes it as a music device, and even tells you how much free space are in it (if the disc is in MD mode, there's always a "no space" message). But of course, if you try to drag n drop songs to MD, it doesn't work.

This drives me to think if maybe there is a way to get this done in WMP. I know the linux project about this, and it makes me happy cause I don't know if I'll use windows forever in all my devices (watching at the new devices appearing in all fields, I doubt it), but anyway the mathematician in me doesn't like to leave a problem without solution :)

• 7 months later...

How does all this registry manipulation differ from just using the "open with" wizard and then choose media player ( to always play it ? If you then double click an atrac file, media player attempts to open it, but you get a pop up that says it may or may not be able to play the file as it doesnt recognise its type.

If you then choose not to show this pop up again, double clicking an atrac file or even dragging onto media player does the job you expect?

See post #20 in this thread.

To get Media Player to be the default player for OMA or oma, AND this extension show up in the list of files it offers to open for you, you HAVE to alter slot 1 as Avrin describes in

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Player\Extensions\Descriptions

and in

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Player\Extensions\Types

Nothing else will actually do it. This has been bothering me for weeks, and I finally woke up in the middle of the night and re-read everything and solved it.

Note, on W64 the same stuff is all under the "backwards-compatible" section of the registry that is at HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft <blah blah>

Stephen