OpenMG is killing me!

Rate this topic

i.used.jell

Since yesterday, when I open SonicStage or make any command within the programme, I am inundated with error/install messages.

The error : Error 1706 - and something about being unable to find the module.

Using SonicStage is near impossible with these boxes coming up, which slow and eventually stop transfers.

I have uninstalled OpenMG and SonicStage and then reinstalled - this fixed it for about an hour, but low and behold it's back.

I can't think of any way I have changed my PC lately.

PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP ME, BEFORE I DITCH MY BELOVED MINI DISC?

Since you never came back to us and told us the results of what we suggested to you, it's hard for us to diagnose your shouting at the world.

Please go back, re-explain what ever it was you did to get things working and we will try and help. You need to tell us your setup (PC, version and sub-version of Windows, bits 32 or 64, including whether its a virtual version, cabling, MD being used, kind of disk), what MD software you used, etc etc.

It sounds like you followed some of our advice, got it working, then it stopped. That usually arises from installing something else on top of a piece of software which then messed up a previous install of something else. It's often referred to as "DLL Hell". As a first step I would strongly recommend turning off Automatic Update. But you need to tell us what all the "some"s are.

Of course if you just wanted to come on here and yell at us, then we can take appropriate avoidance action.

I have Vista (home-premium)on my Hi-Grade latptop PC

I use SonicStage 4.3

I have installed OpenMG + patch

(all from Sony UK)

My Hi-MD unit is MZ-NH900 and I use Hi-MD's and originals MD's

I did install SonicStage 4.3 after uninstalling the one a user made on here (i kept having problems with it). Therefore this DLL hell sounds possible, but I don't know how to remedy this situation. I would be grateful for any assistance please.

I have now turned off automatic updates, but this has not done anything thus far.

The message that comes up is 'The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable' then it comes up with the error code I mentioned in my last message. It then continually tries to install the OpenMG Secure Module.

In response to your comments: there's really no need to be so touchy and condescending... I meant no animosity or blame in my original message; I may have emphasised parts for frustration, but please chilax' - these were aimed at the inanimate object we speak of. Additionally, I don't remember discussing this issue with anyone on the board before, so I am not sure what time before you were referring to (this only happened yesterday). Frankly, I am stumped at your highly-sensitive over-reaction. All I want is to use my MD and I thought the folks here would know best :)

Since you never came back to us and told us the results of what we suggested to you, it's hard for us to diagnose your shouting at the world.

Please go back, re-explain what ever it was you did to get things working and we will try and help. You need to tell us your setup (PC, version and sub-version of Windows, bits 32 or 64, including whether its a virtual version, cabling, MD being used, kind of disk), what MD software you used, etc etc.

It sounds like you followed some of our advice, got it working, then it stopped. That usually arises from installing something else on top of a piece of software which then messed up a previous install of something else. It's often referred to as "DLL Hell". As a first step I would strongly recommend turning off Automatic Update. But you need to tell us what all the "some"s are.

Of course if you just wanted to come on here and yell at us, then we can take appropriate avoidance action.

'The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable'

There's the (well, a) clue right there.

Try deleting the following key from your registry - it most likely points to something that doesn't exist.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Sony Corporation\SonicStage\EMD\HomeURL

If that's not the case then you may have set SS to have its music data somewhere not on your main hard drive, and the connection went down frequently. Try reconfiguring it, and make sure your USB is properly powered. Sharing the USB between HiMD and an external USB may have significant problems.

I wasn't meaning to be touchy, but you really shouldn't shout.

Additionally, I don't remember discussing this issue with anyone on the board before, so I am not sure what time before you were referring to (this only happened yesterday).

See the post here.

http://forums.sonyinsider.com/index.php?showtopic=25008&view=findpost&p=170816

It seems that we already responded to your queries on how to get going. It's hard to know what your problem is in light of the fact you never came back and told us what you did - we can't guess.

See the post here.

http://forums.sonyinsider.com/index.php?showtopic=25008&view=findpost&p=170816

It seems that we already responded to your queries on how to get going. It's hard to know what your problem is in light of the fact you never came back and told us what you did - we can't guess.

That was a different issue entirely and I didn't get an email informing me there had been a reply.

Thank you very much for your help resolving this issue - changing the library to my main drive seems to have done the trick. Although there is still the flicker of an error message on some commands, I can use SS. My heart is safely with MD again :)

That was a different issue entirely and I didn't get an email informing me there had been a reply.

Thank you very much for your help resolving this issue - changing the library to my main drive seems to have done the trick. Although there is still the flicker of an error message on some commands, I can use SS. My heart is safely with MD again :)

Actually, the now flashing scripts are killing me. Would you know how to get rid of them? As I say, they are the same as before, but they flash and don't need me to keep pressing cancel. However, they are really annoying. Thanks.

If it's Vista, my first thought would be to wonder if they (assuming they don't come from a browser pop-up) are coming somehow from the infamous UAC (User Account Control) restrictions in Vista. In which case there are some things you can do. I'm not the best person to ask, as I managed to avoid Vista in favour of W7.

Here's the one for the Sony UK version 4.3 : http://sonicstage.update.sony.net/v4301/AE/download/installer/openmgsetup.zip

After that you'll probably need to re-apply the patch: http://sonicstage.update.sony.net/v4301/AE/download/installer/omglp.zip

But I'm still not sure whether it will work after removing the "Ultimate" 4.3 version, since you are actually downgrading OpenMG Secure Module from 5.0 to 4.7, and such downgrades almost always cause trouble.

Edited by Avrin

Thank you again, but the first file won't install :/

Here's the one for the Sony UK version 4.3 : http://sonicstage.update.sony.net/v4301/AE/download/installer/openmgsetup.zip

After that you'll probably need to re-apply the patch: http://sonicstage.update.sony.net/v4301/AE/download/installer/omglp.zip

But I'm still not sure whether it will work after removing the "Ultimate" 4.3 version, since you are actually downgrading OpenMG Secure Module from 5.0 to 4.7, and such downgrades almost always cause trouble.

Most probably, your system still has traces of OpenMG 5.0 (if I understand correctly, you had SonicStage "Ultimate" before). Cleaning up the system is not an easy task, and requires manual file and registry cleanup. And, if the "Ultimate" version, that is known to be less glitchy than any previous one, was giving you trouble, than no other version will probably be any better.

There is a tool to remove SonicStage and related files. The tool is included with the Japanese version 4.4, so it is in Japanese. So, on the first screen you need to press the left button (to accept the License Agreement), and on the second screen you need to select the lower radio button (to remove everything), and press the left button again. But the tool still leaves some SonicStage traces.

You may download the tool here: http://www.mediafire.com/?vnm5mdzyjd0

Then you may try installing whatever version you want.

• 1 month later...

I'm experiencing a similar problem...

I run Windows 7 and until today, I was able to use SonicStage without any difficulty. Unfortunately, whenever I try to launch the program, here's what happens:

1) Windows Installer...Preparing to install

2) OpenMG Secure Module pops up (Please wait while Windows configures OpenMG Secure Module). Nothing happens.

3) Another OpenMG Secure Module pops up (The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'OpenMG Secure Module.msi' in the box below).

I tried doing a search for the file but I can't locate it anywhere on my computer. I'm also worried because I get the same message when I try to backup all of the CDs/sound files I uploaded to SonicStage.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

James

I probably should mention that the help offered above does not work and I'm 99% certain I never have version 5.0 installed; only 4.3.

Okay, I did several things to resolve this b**ch of an issue. I went by all the advice people in this thread gave. Therefore, I'm not sure what did the trick. I think changing where the temp. music files are saved to the same drive the software is on did it. My pc is weird and uses two different drives in a symbiotic way. Therefore, it's all on D now. Hope this helps.

I'm experiencing a similar problem...

I run Windows 7 and until today, I was able to use SonicStage without any difficulty. Unfortunately, whenever I try to launch the program, here's what happens:

1) Windows Installer...Preparing to install

2) OpenMG Secure Module pops up (Please wait while Windows configures OpenMG Secure Module). Nothing happens.

3) Another OpenMG Secure Module pops up (The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'OpenMG Secure Module.msi' in the box below).

I tried doing a search for the file but I can't locate it anywhere on my computer. I'm also worried because I get the same message when I try to backup all of the CDs/sound files I uploaded to SonicStage.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

James

I probably should mention that the help offered above does not work and I'm 99% certain I never have version 5.0 installed; only 4.3.