Assessing the durability of the NHF800

Rate this topic

vsherry

I write to ask your opinions on the durability of the NHF800. I find it a bit fragile. Also, mine developed a problem with the button in the center of the jog dial out of nowhere. And the USB port has a problem. I have to push the cord in hard and hold it a certain way, or otherwise it won't recognize that it's connected. The device still plays well, though.

I also have an NH1, and it's held up much better.

I think you might be able to fix the jog dial - I would recommend getting it apart and (once the face is separated from the rest) spraying some contact cleaner in and around. Make sure it all dries off or the unit will smell forever.

USB sounds like a case of heating up the solder joints that the USB is connected to. Should be easy enough, except for one small problem, they used lead-free solder so it's possible it might take more heat than you've got. I'd give it a whirl.

The durability of my NHF800 has been excellent. I have been using my unit since the fall of 2004 for about 8 to 10 hours weekly. This is the unit that use on my commute to work daily, Monday thru Thursday. I use the remote that came with the unit extensively and not so much the controls on the unit itself. A few years ago, it rain so much that the remote was soaked with water and required a WD-40 cleaning for it operate besides that minor issue the unit has performed excellent.

The radio remote on my NHF800 stopped working, but otherwise, I've also had my (original) NHF800 for over 5 years, and it still works perfectly. I've replaced the remote, and bought a backup NHF800 (and picked up a couple of a NH700's which can also use the radio), but so far haven't had to use them. Again, I don't tend to use the jog dial much, preferring to use the remote, but generally speaking I wouldn't say the NHF800 is particularly fragile, quite the opposite in fact. It's my main 'war unit' getting almost daily use, and had quite a few knocks into the bargain.