Windows 7 (64 Bit) and Minidisc - A solution

Rate this topic

1kyle

Hi everybody

The easiest way to get this to work on Windows 7 is to use an XP Virtual Machine. The following software is FREE - vmware server or player (the newest version allows you to CREATE VM's as well), Virtual Box and Ms'es Virtual PC 2007.

I'd go for vmware as I KNOW it works.

So do the following

1) Create and install your XP guest VM

2) install Sonic stage and Simple burner on the GUEST XP VM ONLY.

3) Now plug in your MD device - ensure its connected to the VM and not the HOST OS.

4) Install Alcohol 52% Free edition on your VM - this allows you to DYNAMICALLY mount ISO and Nero nrg image files as DVD's / CD's AND AUDIO CDs too.

5) Now when burning CD's directly to MD -- you don't need to use Sonic stage - just use Simple burner directly.

My music library is all CD's ripped to FLAC. I'm using the squeezebox system to stream audio as this plays FLAC directly. I still like to use MD's on the move so this is what I do to get FLAC to MD without needing SS or having to fiddle with my libraries in any way.

1) ensure you have NERO's mega plugin pack installed.

2) create an Audio CD from your FLAC files with Nero and use "Image Recorder" to create the NRG image file.

3) Mount this file on to your Virtual CD device with ALCOHOL 52% on your GUEST XP VM machine

4) MD simple burner will even access gracenote to tag the tracks if your compliation was ripped from a CD - otherwise tag the tracks yourself.

5) Now burn to MD just as you did under XP.

Works a treat - and no need for SS either. Works for NetMD and Hi_MD devices -- I've just been using the lovely old silver MZ-N10 device -- brings back great memories and I've actually had some jealous looks from "Ipod users" who've never seen such a "Sexy looking" device.

Works too with the RH1 HI-MD and other HI-MD devices.

So you can keep using MD's AND run Windows 7 X-64. Firing up a Virtual machine is really simple and doesn't use a host of resources either.

MD STILL LIVES on my W7 X-64 system.

pic encpost-47550-126667132404_thumb.png

Cheers

-K

Well, officially Microsoft allows you to use Windows XP mode in Windows 7 without buying an additional copy. Using Windows with other virtual machines requires buying licensed copies.

I don't have Ultimate version ,but was thinking of upgrading to it .SO,SS works fine in XP mode ??

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

pleasantry.gifpleasantry.gifpleasantry.gifpleasantry.gifpleasantry.gif Yeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh !!!! clapping.gifclapping.gifclapping.gifclapping.gifclapping.gif

Finally that it is you 1kyle who bring us the ultimate solution, how to use our Net-MD units on Windows 7 64bit.

Avrin's SonicStage Ultimate Edition, once install on my Windows XP home Edition Virtual Machine

recognize my MZ-N510 Net-MD unit with a SP minidisc inside !

but you NEED to manually connect the unit : Virtual Machine / Removable Devices / Sony Net-MD Walkman/ Disconnect (Connect to host) once "you plug in your MD device and ensure its connected to the VM and not the HOST OS".

Not so fast. You can't have the XP Virtual Machine on Home Premium. It's about another $100 to Microsoft for an upgrade to Professional. Or you have to get VMWare loaded, which is harder than many people are able to contemplate.

Note that giant_rick is (was, it's a year ago now) talking about Hi-SP, which we know is ok because no driver is needed.

Stephen

Not so fast. You can't have the XP Virtual Machine on Home Premium. It's about another $100 to Microsoft for an upgrade to Professional.

Note that giant_rick is (was, it's a year ago now) talking about Hi-SP, which we know is ok because no driver is needed.

Stephen

But I have Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

Speccy (freeware)

Syst