Rate this topic

Ok, so a few days I had to replace my internal WD 80G drive. I was running out of space. So

now I have to reinstall my Sonic stage software. Two questions:

(1) The disc I have is an older version, 2.0 I think. I believe the version I had was 4.3 or something

like. Where can I download it?

(2) Are all the dozens of cds gone? Is it possible to resurrect the My Library in all its' former

glory or is it gone?

Ok, so a few days I had to replace my internal WD 80G drive. I was running out of space. So

now I have to reinstall my Sonic stage software. Two questions:

(1) The disc I have is an older version, 2.0 I think. I believe the version I had was 4.3 or something

like. Where can I download it?

(2) Are all the dozens of cds gone? Is it possible to resurrect the My Library in all its' former

glory or is it gone?

you should be able to get the SS 4.3 from the forums, as to your CD's, try running your old hard drive as a slave and see what happens, other solution, use your new hard drive as a slave.

Good luck

Bob

Stop.

Put it back.

Do not pass go.

Do not collect $200.

First you must run (well to be honest there are some other ways) the File Conversion Tool utility made by Sony on just about everything you have imported (some formats eg AAL don't need it, some cannot be converted eg CONNECT tracks).

Once you have done this, they can be used from any Sonic Stage install.

From here on in my explanation it gets complicated. I suspect that if you want the library folders to be intact you must run the Sonic Stage backup tool. BUT... I have no idea with the history of SS versions which new ones you need to upgrade to, whether you can upgrade to them, and on and on. If you are already on SS4.3(also 4.2?) I can help. But anything earlier, I have no idea what steps you need to follow. I'm sure someone here does. I didn't start using SS as a serious tool until Version 4.2 - prior versions had way too many restrictions, not to mention being a bit flaky in certain aspects.

For example there is a utility to be used to convert real SonicStage version 2 libraries to the current format, called OMG2OMA.EXE. Reinstall and I have a baaaad feeling about your ability to do what you want.

I strongly suspect Sony didn't want you to be able to keep your music library. After all, they argue, the guy has his CD's - how hard is it to rip them again? Of course that was before the true information explosion and CD's not costing $30 a pop.

Stephen

PS something you might want to check out is drastic pruning of garbage "temporary" files on your outgoing Hard drive. eg anything ending in .tmp ("*.tmp" when searching), all IE content files (or their equivalent, the Firefox "Cache"), anything in most directories named "temp" or "tmp". This might give you enough to boot your system again and do what you need to do.

you should be able to get the SS 4.3 from the forums, as to your CD's, try running your old hard drive as a slave and see what happens, other solution, use your new hard drive as a slave.

Good luck

Bob

How in the world do I do that? I have the old drive in an Enclosure Kit. I haven't formatted it done anything else.

First, download SonicStage 4.3 "Ultimate" from http://forums.sonyin...showtopic=24405 and install it.

What follows, entirely depends on whether you have added copy protection to your files when ripping them from your CDs. Assuming that you had Windows XP on your old drive, the files are located at the "L:\Documents and Settings\All Users\SonicStage\Packages" folder, where L: is the drive letter of your old drive in the Enclosure Kit. Do not try doing anything with these files, but copy them to some folder on the new hard drive (e.g., create a folder named C:\TEST). Then import this folder to the newly installed SonicStage, and try playing the files. If all of them play nicely, then remove them from the SonicStage library without actually deleting the files, move the files to a more appropriate location (I recommend moving them to the "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\SonicStage\Packages" folder on you new drive), and import them from there. That's it, if there is no copy protection.

If, however, the files are protected, this means that they are linked to your old installation, and will not play on a new one. To unprotect them, you'll need to reconnect the old drive exactly as it had been connected before (same IDE channel, etc.). Then start the old copy of Windows, run the SonicStage File Conversion Tool, and uncheck the Add copy protection box. The tool will create unprotected copies of all protected files. Files that may have been initially unprotected will not be changed. Then reinstall the drive into the Enclosure Kit, and import the files into your new installation as described above.

Edited by Avrin

There should be two subfolders in the "L:\Documents and Settings\All Users\SonicStage" folder - "Contents" (which is usually empty) and "Packages" (which is used to store ripped music by default).

Anyway, try searching the old drive for OMA files. If you find any, look at their extensions. "OMA" (uppercase) usually denotes unprotected files, while "oma" (lowercase) does exactly the opposite. But this is not a 100% reliable rule.

There should be two subfolders in the "L:\Documents and Settings\All Users\SonicStage" folder - "Contents" (which is usually empty) and "Packages" (which is used to store ripped music by default).

Anyway, try searching the old drive for OMA files. If you find any, look at their extensions. "OMA" (uppercase) usually denotes unprotected files, while "oma" (lowercase) does exactly the opposite. But this is not a 100% reliable rule.

Ok;first, the old drive shows up as the "H" drive on My Computer...don't know why. Second, the Contents file is empty, but I don't see one called Packages. About to try the OMA search.

Ok;first, the old drive shows up as the "H" drive on My Computer...don't know why. Second, the Contents file is empty, but I don't see one called Packages. About to try the OMA search.

Alright...oddly enough I was just fooling around with 4.3 Ult and clicked on Import Music Files. The the "Packages" folder appeared subdivided into two folders: DPL and LocalCDInfo. Both Show up as empty. The really strange thing here is that this is the only place I can see them...they do not show under My Computer at all when I look at the location where they should be.

I found many OMA files related to a few cds I had imported thru WMP 11. Keep talking Arvin...

Ok, just out of desperation I clicked on the Import folders thing and went down thru the selections until I got to Application Data>Sonicstage>Export and Temp. I check of those last two and got back a few dozen cds that I had imported. I say "a few dozen" cause over the 4 years I had imported hundreds of them. I had cds that started with every letter in the alphabet except Q, X, and Y. Now I only have about 7 letters used.

Any more ideas or is it time to start re-importation?

Ok, just out of desperation I clicked on the Import folders thing and went down thru the selections until I got to Application Data>Sonicstage>Export and Temp. I check of those last two and got back a few dozen cds that I had imported. I say "a few dozen" cause over the 4 years I had imported hundreds of them. I had cds that started with every letter in the alphabet except Q, X, and Y. Now I only have about 7 letters used.

Any more ideas or is it time to start re-importation?

How about this: is there any sotware that will allow me to simply import the cds, add tracks names, etc., that can just be put on the hard drive without connecting to some remote computer somewhere? So far SS is about the simplest one for me to use (esp for cd-rs). WMP don't work well with cd-rs that are compilations.