SI: Geohot Releasing Custom PS3 Firmware

Rate this question

Christopher

Question

otheros-450x253.jpg

Well, what I am sure nobody thought would happen or Sony wanted to happen is about to happen. Geohot aka George Hotz has found a work around for the removal of OtherOS: Custom Firmware. Geohot has dubbed his firmware “3.21OO”. Based upon his blog entry, it won’t require opening the PS3, and will be possible by restoring a custom generated pup file. Below is his video demo:

What’s really interesting is that he said it may add OtherOS functionality to to the PS3 Slim, although this hasn’t been tested as of yet but will be soon. At this time it only applies to those on firmware 3.15 or earlier. He did have this interesting thing to say to the community, which we at Sony Insider eluded to earlier:

Note to the people who removed OtherOS, you are potentially turning 100000+ legit users into “hackers.” There was a huge(20x) traffic spike to this blog after the announcement of 3.21. If I had ads on this site I guess I’d be thanking you.

Who knows what the future holds for the PS3 scene moving forward. One thing we do know is that over the course of just a few days, the game has seriously changed

View the full article

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet