when was the mz-n707 built

Rate this topic

scarrabri

Hi after looking on Ebay for a while,i saw a mz-n707 for sale ,i had read that they were quite good ,and the guy selling it told me he had bought it years ago as a present for a friend and never sent it,and that it had lived in the original box with all the original bits and bobs that came with it for years ,but was time to sell it ,so i rushed in and bought it today lol does any one know how old it is and how good they are ,i know on amazon years ago people were raving about it just wondering if anyone still using one ,and if there is any thing i should do before i switch it on because it may not have been used for a long while,best wishes Brianscratch_one-s_head.gif

lol sorry just noticed theres enough imformation to write a book on this forum,mostly about hacking lol

That was the first and sadly, only MD unit I bought for my wife and I picked it up at a regional retailer in the area named HH Gregg. If I recall, it was October of 2002 and I paid a little over $200US for the unit which included a car kit.

I still have it, it is in like new condition. A nice little unit with a plastic body. One of the great things about this unit (and many others) is its ability to run for like 20 hours or something on one AA battery. The original came with a rechargeable nickle metal hydride which charged in the unit. MDLP/NetMD/Type-R.

You'll have to let everyone know how you like it.

Hi Azureal

thank you for your reply ,your wife must have been very pleased with the gift you gave to her ,it is wonderful that for every minidisc player there is a story,some sad ,and some happy ,so pleased you thought the md was good ,and will let folk know how i go on with it ,i have just had a email from David the minidisc repairman,who was very helpful about taking care of the md befor switching it on ,as it may not have been used for a while, he said to make sure the battery terminals are perfectly clean, and toalso be careful about charging the unit with the psu at first , thanks again best wishes Briani-m_so_happy.gif

Hi after looking on Ebay for a while,i saw a mz-n707 for sale ,i had read that they were quite good ,and the guy selling it told me he had bought it years ago as a present for a friend and never sent it,and that it had lived in the original box with all the original bits and bobs that came with it for years ,but was time to sell it ,so i rushed in and bought it today lol does any one know how old it is and how good they are ,i know on amazon years ago people were raving about it just wondering if anyone still using one ,and if there is any thing i should do before i switch it on because it may not have been used for a long while,best wishes Brianscratch_one-s_head.gif

lol sorry just noticed theres enough imformation to write a book on this forum,mostly about hacking lol

Hey scarrabri,

I find the equipment browser a good resource for info about any unit: http://www.minidisc.org/equipment_browser.html

N707 build date Looks like March 2003: http://www.minidisc.org/part_Sony_MZ-N707.html

I never really noticed this one before. When I read the topic I thought you were referring to the N710. The differences between this and it's "posh cousin" the N710 seem quite significant: Type-S, Ni-MH (vs. Ni-Cd), longer battery life, aluminium top etc.

Don't let that stop you from enjoying a fine MDLP unit though :-)

The major reported fault on the 707 seems to have been the overwrite head wires dying. So, some become play-only machines (with the ability to toast your MD in about 5 seconds).

[rant]

The other fault is the major reason IMHO Sony isn't in the MD business any more. It's the reason I refused to buy portables until the RH1 (actually I got an NE410 "by mistake" naively thinking all were alike), and it could have made MD absolutely dominant. This fault is in the DESIGN. MD portables needed optical out.

[/rant]

I got my MZ-N707 yesterday. It is pretty nice, the previous owner took pretty good care of it. It seems very similar to my (2) MZ-R700's, except that the buttons are different. It came with 24 MD's, headphones, remote, charging stand, AC power cord and of course the unit itself. All for $210 (including shipping form NY to PA). Not too bad, I don't think.

I got my MZ-N707 yesterday. It is pretty nice, the previous owner took pretty good care of it. It seems very similar to my (2) MZ-R700's, except that the buttons are different. It came with 24 MD's, headphones, remote, charging stand, AC power cord and of course the unit itself. All for $210 (including shipping form NY to PA). Not too bad, I don't think.

Hi that sounds a very good buy,i hope you have loads of enjoyment out of it ,best wishes Brian

• 1 month later...

The MZ-N707 was my very first minidisc--the one that got me hooked. The design is elegant, it runs an astonishingly long time on one AA battery and it will give you a recording as good as what you can get into it. SP eats up discs fast, but really is better than LP2, and you should only use LP4 for speech.

But don't think you can just plug a microphone into the mic jack, go to an amplified show, and get anything but distortion. You need to either get a mic and a battery module (look at Sound Professionals or Microphone Madness) to run into Line-In. Or, if you're broke, a mic and a Radio Shack Headphone Volume Control, which will lower the amount of signal going into the Mic-in jack to escape that distortion. Search the forum for Attenuator.

Mic into mic-in is for speech. Anything louder will overload, especially if it has significant bass.

But the MZ-N707 is one solid little gadget.

Edited by A440

It's a really nice model. I just got one a few months ago on Craigslist as well. It's one of 6 or 7 models that you can add some advanced features to by way of a well documented hack in minidisc.org by going into service mode...http://www.minidisc.org/mzr700_to_mzr900.html

I've preformed this hack on several of the listed models and it works like a charm and is quite easy. It seem Sony included the circuitry for these advanced features in several models but, didn't active them except on a more expensive model, the 900 if I recall correctly.

But, a very nice and elegant machine at any rate.

ja

I just another MZ-N707 off of ebay yesterday. A black & red one this time. It was a pretty good deal that i couldn't pass up. Under $100 with 41 MD's, remote, charging stand, power cords and shipping. It works pretty good, too. I love these machines. I'm starting to get a little bit of a collection going on here. It's like an addiction.

It's not like an addiction PPK, it is an addiction.

I've got four G750s, one of which I modified to do TOC cloning, three NH-900s, three RH1s, something called a MZ-DH710 that I haven't even taken out of the clam shell yet, an NH1 and others I can't even remember. Oh yea, and a JE520 deck.