Only allowed one MiniDisc in SS...

Rate this topic

Soundbox

I have never lost a MD before, but over the weekend I did. On that disc was some music that I had paid for and downloaded from the internet. I only got to hear it once before I lost the disc (on the train I think). Just a small inconvenience I thought at the time.

I will just make a new disk from my SonicStage library I assumed. Wrong. It happens that if you try to make a second copy you are told that it is not possible - one copy only is allowed. My music is 'trapped' on there now so listening can only be done on my laptop at home. When I get time I will plug my MZ-R30 into the laptop's headphone socket and 'cheat' a second copy, but really, why do Sony assume that no-one ever loses a disk? The music I purchaced had no copy protection (purchaced from Amazon) and it is Sony that has stopped me.

When I joined the MD forum I was warned about the SS headache and now I can see why!

So, look after your discs!

Ian

Most DRM on files managed in SonicStage can be removed, especially imported MP3 files by running a utility included with SS named "SonicStage File Conversion Tool", after the utility scans your library of files you'll be presented with a dialog to begin the conversion, be sure to uncheck the box next to "Add Copy Protection". The estimate for conversion time is an exaggeration as others have mentioned and the total run time should be n the order of 2 - 5 minutes max.

This utility will on ly strip copy protection from files ripped into your library in any ATRAC format from MP3 files or directly from CD. The only files I can think of which it will not convert would be those bought and paid for from the Connect store, which has been gone for over two years.

I suppose SonicStage could DRM some WMA files as well and those may also be locked.

Let us all know how you get along with this and sorry to hear about your missing disc ...

Wait a minute. You purchased an MP3, correct? You directly xferred this to listen on a second-gen HiMd, or you converted to ATRAC?

If you converted to ATRAC there's no way that SonicStage should have been able to mangle your file BEFORE conversion. So it should be safe on the HD as an MP3. I presume Windows doesn't stop you copying it first.

If so, forget about the ATRAC file. Yes, that was Sony's intention, don't let them make copies. Didn't work (as an overall strategy***), and lost them the market, so it goes. But you can generate it again, no?

Stephen

*** there at least 2 ways I know to deal with the copying issue

1. Sell it (say 1 copy) without copy protection. Of 100 illegal copiers, 10 (9 more) are generally willing to buy the product if they really like it. Whereas if you protect it successfully you lost those 9.

2. Bundle it with something (usually hardware) that people cannot get out of paying for. This is the Microsoft solution. What's annoying about this one is that it encourages the perception that software is "free". It isn't. Usually the cost in blood, sweat, toil and tears (WSC) not to mention $$$.

Thanks for the thoughts. I kept the music as pure MP3's on the MD (I used a borrowed MZ-RH1 to do the upload and played the music back with my own 710 portable as MP3).

Now reading here I think I have made a mistake as I deleted the original downloads as I thought just having them in SS was enough (I did not want to clog up my computer). I will have a look at the file conversion tool - is that in SS or do I need to download it?

Thanks both for the help.

Ian

Thanks for the help. The 710 does play native MP3 I have found (but you need to set the EQ as it is a bit muffled otherwise). http://www.sony.co.uk/product/paw-minidisc---net-md-walkman/mz-rh710 is the machine. I got it off eBay for a very fair price to use when I travel.

Sadly Amazon allows only one upload so really this is a lesson learned. I will let you know if I manage to get it sorted.

I am pretty sure if you have DRMed ATRAC files in SonicStage which were imported from MP3 or ripped from CD, the file conversion tool will remove the DRM by running it and removing the check box for "Add Copy Protection". Maybe I am just crazy, but I thought Stephen or Arvin instructed me on the method!

Any way, the tool is located in the same install folder as SonicStage for the Ultimate version, should not have to download anything extra. Start->Programs->SonicStage->Conversion Tool or some such similar path to shortcut.

You need to determine exactly the filetype and the rights info. In SonicStage, right-click a file that doesn't transfer anymore, then select Properties and check the "Rights info/Additional info" and "File Info" tabs.

And which version of SonicStage are you using? The one supplied with the RH710 is quite old (3.0, IIRC), so it still has all the DRM craziness.

Edited by Avrin

Avrin, I am using your Ultimate Edition that works with Vista - 4.3 I think. The right click brings up "track properties cannot be edited because one or more of the tracks music files are read only or editing privalages have not been granted". I tried file conversion but after de-selecting the copy protect box I was told that files don't need to be converted so that just shut down and I still have the problem. I know now not to delete the original but I only have a 64 Gb hard drive so wanted to keep downloads to a minimum.

Thanks, Ian

Even after the "Track properties cannot be edited..." message, SonicStage should display the Track Properties dialog box, with all four tabs accessible in read-only mode. So you may determine the location and format of the physical files, and check what's wrong with them (e.g., whether they are marked as read-only).

The location is in my C drive under the folder "\Music\Amazon MP3\Inna\Hot\01 - Hot (UK Radio Edit).mp3" and the rights are

"No. of times played: 0times

No. of times transferred: 1times

Copyright: © 2010 3Beat Productions Under Exclusive License To All Around The World Limited / Universal Music TV, a division of Universal Music Operations Limited"

But sadly it does not say why it is prevented from downloading to just one more MD.

If the worst comes to the worst I can just use the headphone socket of my laptop or buy it again.

Thanks, Ian

IMPORTANT EDIT: I just tried to play the music in SonicStage and it says it cannot find it and asks do I want to delete it. So, by deleting the original the SonicStage 'version' won't play it because it is not in SonicStage in the first place.

And since you still have the original .mp3 files you can just re-import them into SonicStage ...

Sadly no, due to the fact that I deleted them thinking SonicStage made an exact replica of the downloaded track. Seems SonicStage is just a sort of 'goods handling area' where music from your hard drive is routed to your MiniDisc recorder. I did not realise that.

However...

My lost disc turned up this morning - it was in the inside pocket of my jacket (which I had checked multiple times I felt sure). There it was - unaware of the hassle its hiding in there had created with me searching all over. Well, they do say that memory fades after you turn 20, so me being over 30 means I stand no chanceblush.gif . I will get them back into my computer if possible.