My ECM-DS70P STEREO MICROPHONE

Rate this topic

scarrabri

Hi just a few pics of my ECM-DS70P MICROPHONE , it is described as a High quality direct connection stereo microphone with plug in power no battery required sensitividy 38dvb+3.5 db and noise level 34db spl and uni directional lol i am going to try it out latter to see how well it works and also check to see if it is a fake one ,as there are a few about best wishes Brian

002-3.jpg

004-2.jpg

009-1.jpg

well I got one from Ebay a few years ago - was cheap - I think about 7 uk pounds and was probably a fake - but it still works fine certainly for voice work. There is another possibility re these "fake" items. It is commom practice when a company orders say 20,000 item for the manufacturer to make a few more to cover quality control rejects. What happens to the rejects but more importantly the excess product? I understand from the fashion business these , hmm , disappear.... So they may not be fakes after all!

• 5 weeks later...

I've been thinking of buying one these microphones on ebay from a china seller. They sell them for $10 or less, with free shipping. They look genuine. Just wondering if anyone knows if these microphones actually work?

Hi i have heard that they are not bad ,but they might be a copy ,i know the one i bought said made in japan,but there again that means nothing

I bought one for next to nothing and it was fine; I paid three times that for one that the guy claimed he had inspected, and it was garbage. No way to be sure.

What do you mean by fine? Did it work as well as a factory Sony microphone that comes with the MZ-M200?

• 2 weeks later...

I bought this (ecm-ds70p) kind of microphone on ebay from a china seller for less than $10 with free shipping. It works great! If it's a counterfeit or knock-off, I can't tell the difference. The right and left channels pick up sound clearly. It came inside a little silver bag that looks authentic with the "SONY" letters and the model number. The back of the microphone also says made in Japan, with the model number and the "SONY" letters. It also came with a little leather bag with the sony logo on it. It all looks legit and works great! I recorded my voice and played it back on my MZ-M200 and it sounds clear with good highs and lows. It does have one minor cosmetic defect and that may be the reason why Sony discarded it, but the defect does not in no way affect the performance of the microphone.

It does have one minor cosmetic defect and that may be the reason why Sony discarded it, but the defect does not in no way affect the performance of the microphone.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. A lot of these "fakes" are in fact just surplus stock sold either because they couldn't find distribution chains, or perhaps "below standard" in ways that we don't care about.

But IMHO you are just as likely to get a good one as not. Let your ears be the judge. I ended up having a shouting match (actually via email!) with the guy who was "inspecting" them and passing on after marking them up.

One tip - many of the MD units do a lot of grinding which gets picked up when the unit is plugged directly into the recorder (the RH1 is the LEAST offender in this, meaning you might ignore for the RH1). So you might be better off using the little extension lead they always seem to provide as part of the package. This varies (different Sony facilities?) from being simple flexible rubber to a braided version.

Stephen

I think you've hit the nail on the head. A lot of these "fakes" are in fact just surplus stock sold either because they couldn't find distribution chains, or perhaps "below standard" in ways that we don't care about.

But IMHO you are just as likely to get a good one as not. Let your ears be the judge. I ended up having a shouting match (actually via email!) with the guy who was "inspecting" them and passing on after marking them up.

One tip - many of the MD units do a lot of grinding which gets picked up when the unit is plugged directly into the recorder (the RH1 is the LEAST offender in this, meaning you might ignore for the RH1). So you might be better off using the little extension lead they always seem to provide as part of the package. This varies (different Sony facilities?) from being simple flexible rubber to a braided version.

Stephen

Thanks for the info. I just remembered that the ebay seller was from Hong Kong, not sure if that is part of China or not.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the info. I just remembered that the ebay seller was from Hong Kong, not sure if that is part of China or not.

It is, but the sellers there are usually more legit as it was once a crown colony. Sweeping generalization, but that's what I've found.

I also bought the same mic from Hong Kong and it works fine.