NW-A608 live photos and observations

Rate this question

asadasad22

Question

Hi! This player seems very good, but I need observations before i buy it.

It looks like in some pictures very good, but in other pictures seems the violet color a little foolish, and I'm concerned, how does it looks like in real photos. (And in some pictures like this looks principally blue, not violet, and on this picture i supremely love it - is it so in real?) And the MP3 Manager works with it? Just because I don't like to use always SonicStage or Connect Player software, as I heard, MP3 Manager is simply, and good.

And me interest also the other experiments, for example the 50 hours playback time in real, the display (in sunlight or lightly environment), errors of player (if there are), the radio, the headphones (according to D-NF611 discman - I have it now) , it's an others, etc....

And is it real, that it plays only the Atrac3 format? For example if i want to transfer to the player some MP3 files, the software always convert it to Atrac3 before? I've read on the Sony's official site, that this player is able to directly MP3 playback, so can it play MP3 files, or just Atrac3 files? It would be queer, if it couldn't able to play MP3 files, because as I heard, it can play WMA files with the firmware 2.0... And if it's real, how can I transfer WMA files to the player without convert? Is there a setting in SonicStage, that it let the WMA files in the primary format? And is it with MP3 files, or it must man to convert? How goes it? Please help!

25 answers to this question

Guest Stuge

Some people have reprted that Mp3 file manager ver2 works with A600(series).you can use either SonicStage ver3.4(but features such as intelligent shuffle will be diasbled or Connect.

50 Hours playtime only when you use Atrac3 Plus 48kpbs but in reall use you will never get 50 hours ..you might get around 35-40hours .(with Higher bitrate of file used ).

The earphones supplied with A608 is MDR-E931..

It can play Atrac,Mp3 & WMA (only after you update your player with Firmware 2)

Hello ATRACLife,

I just got my NW-A608 yesterday, cool player.

It already came with version 2.00 firmware in the player.

There's an option in Connect to keep the file as such while transferring or to transcode it.

For the first day, I think Connect isn't that bad a software as I made it out to be. It takes over 20 seconds to start up, and transferring songs can be a bit slow, but I dont mind it.

Definitely not upto the iTunes mark, but still it's relatively ok, and not as horrible as they make it out in the reviews.

The battery charges in around 2-2.5 hours from 0 - full charge in the 500mA High drain mode. I haven't tried the low drain mode yet(coz I'll have to discharge it first which itself is a difficult feat).

The screen is simply brilliant, although you don't get the surface effect that you see in the photos ie, you know that the display is behind. But when it's off there's no trace of the screen, it looks just like a silver mirror.

But the screensaver look awesome when it's worn on the neck with the (NOT INCLUDED) neck strap.

The jogdial is comfortable but I cant comment as I haven't used it much. The interface is pretty much slick with the sliding menus like the Sony Ericsson Walkman phones. Sound seems to be clear with the bundled headphones but it still feels lacking(I'm no audiophile over here, so don't start shooting me down).

The FM radio is what I feel has been done best in this model, like it picks up 6-7 radio stations in the Auto mode, while my cell (Nokia 3200) can at the most pick up 2 in Auto scan mode. The quality of audio is good in FM also.

Asad, what you saw in the picture is the Sports Mode shuffle which does something which I haven't found out yet :-), (I just got it yesterday you know). Yes the screen looks actually better in real life. The MP3 Managr does not work for me as I have already installed Sony Connect, which isn't all THAT bad. My player natively plays ATRAC3, ATRAC3plus (duh), MP3 and WMA. I haven't tried MP3 for the simple reason that I'm going to use A3+ to fit more songs and enhance battery life. I'm using currently A3+ @64kbps which sounds decent, all transcoded from Mp3 @ 128, 192 & 320 kbps.

P.S. This aint no review in anyway just my thoughts and opinions about my new player

How do you switch this off?

And does the battery life get diminished if it is kept plugged the the USB even after battery full?

Edited by SimKill

one think i wil comment E507 and A608 FM is petty good for a small ultra slim size mp3 player cum FM

i am a FM freak and fussy on FM reception and quality

sinec FM quality u cant adjust its EQ too

i came from oldsch sony walkman wiht FM that why i demands alot from FM tuners

i have test alot of DAP with FM

only sony irivers gimme good receptions

but reception and quality for FM will still vote for SONY

Guest Stuge

but reception and quality for FM will still vote for SONY

One more Vote ..Reception OF FM is really good on my E505 or any Sony walkman that i own :) .

I tried to download the operations manual from "downloads"... however, it gave me an error.... can anyone be so kind and send me via email an english version??... thanks!

bsandovalb@yahoo.com :D

ps--- i just received one, however, it came without the CD -bought it from ebay- I am familiar with it, but wanted to make sure i didn´t miss anything....

are the new features,inteligent shuffle, sport xxx,etc so important to worth trying to use CP... ir shoudl I better use Sonic 3.4 -which I already have (HD5) Thanks!

Guest Stuge

I tried to download the operations manual from "downloads"... however, it gave me an error.... can anyone be so kind and send me via email an english version??... thanks!

bsandovalb@yahoo.com :D

ps--- i just received one, however, it came without the CD -bought it from ebay- I am familiar with it, but wanted to make sure i didn´t miss anything....

are the new features,inteligent shuffle, sport xxx,etc so important to worth trying to use CP... ir shoudl I better use Sonic 3.4 -which I already have (HD5) Thanks!

Contact Admin Ishiyoshi or Kurisu regadong this isssue ..

If you ask me you should first Try Connect ..if your also having problems then go with Sonic Stage .

Guest Stuge

And one more: I see in the photos, that this player has not only one color, it has gradients. So how many color has this player?

What do you mean by that ?Colour you see depends upon the colour of the Lid or cover used .

A608 uses OELD for Display .

Have you seen the photo, that I've linked? On this it has blue display, not green, so how is it? It's variant by countries? Probably the photo was a little washed, that is the cause of this, what I've seen the display gradiently.

The OLED itself is not gradiented.. it was just that the photo was taken in the middle of a frame transition of the running man animation. The colour of the unit itself, however, is gradiented. It changes depending on the angle you look at it. That photo is not a good indicator of the unit's colour... the violet NW-A608 looks a lot more lighter purple in real life.

oh that...

well i dont even know the colour of my 608 (dad gifted me).

I asked for a black one, but this one is more like a silver mirror type. But it isn't the A608/SI, coz in that you've got brushed aluminium back and holographic W logo, but mine's normal, so i guess it must be a cross between gray and a mirror. :-)

than, is it a better photo: this?

Or this and the previous photo are not from a violet A608? I hope, it doesn't seems too purple in real...

It really really DOESN'T look that blue... when it is exposed to light, it is very light candy purple or light baby blue, and when it's dark it's slightly darker purple... but it doesn't look that blue at all in real life unless it's really dark, I don't know how they got it to look like that, Maybe it is a different version or something, or maybe it just looks like that in the photographs.

Here are some photos/videos where it's a bit closer to real life:

http://www.vaiomania.jp/blog/archives/000250.html

http://www.vaiomania.jp/blog/archives/2005_11_19.html

http://blog.so-net.ne.jp/vaiomania/2005-11-19

Edited by imagine