Help, my NW-A3000 is on a go-slow!

Rate this question

greatbigkev

Question

Hi all,

First post after lots of reading so please be gentle!

I've had an NW-A3000 since Christmas and, Connect problems excepted, I'm really pleased with it - or at least I was until this time last week!

Last Wednesday I went to use my player on the train for my commute home but instead of getting the usual welcome screen I was greeted with 'rebuilding library'. This took ages and, ever since, I've had a nightmare with the player. When I go to use the player it takes at least three minutes (with the 'spinning disc' icon) before I can play anything. All menus take forever to call up and some of the facilities (time machine shuffle, for instance) have gone awol.

What's the best thing for me to do? It's driving me round the bend!

On a completely separate note, I've only ever used Connect for my player. Is Sonicstage much better? I need to upgrade to the latest version of Connect, which I've read is a big improvement on the previous ones, but I wonder if it's worth it. To those who have used both, what do you say? Shall I go for the latest version of Connect or ditch it and plough straight into the SonicStage CP? What are the pros and cons of the two programs?

Thanks for any help or advice,

Kev

17 answers to this question

Hey Kev, I experienced a similar problem with mine.

Yesterday I played my bookmark list and after pressing "BACK" to choose another song, the spinning disc came on and stayed on for over 5 hours! the bookmark list carried on playing as normal and I could change the volume, but I couldn't get rid of the spinning disc!

I only ever get this problem when I first turn it on after connecting to the PC and try to cycle through all the lists quickly, so maybe the unit needs to "warm up" first.

Any ideas, anyone?

Guest Stuge

Hey Kev, I experienced a similar problem with mine.

Yesterday I played my bookmark list and after pressing "BACK" to choose another song, the spinning disc came on and stayed on for over 5 hours! the bookmark list carried on playing as normal and I could change the volume, but I couldn't get rid of the spinning disc!

I only ever get this problem when I first turn it on after connecting to the PC and try to cycle through all the lists quickly, so maybe the unit needs to "warm up" first.

Any ideas, anyone?

read this ---> http://www.atraclife.com/2006/05/09/sonics...p-40-announced/

I have the same problem as both 'greatbigkev' and 'Digital Pimp'. My player only has 665 songs on it yet it is a lot slower than my mates which has over 2500 on it. Its really annoying. I don't think the computer software will make any difference. I'm gonna try defragging my player, and if that fails I will initialise it and put all of the songs on it again.

I say the above even after upgrading to firmware version 3.00, which I have to say is pretty dam amazing. Its so sweet. All of the things I wanted...screensaver select, clock, canlendar, little sqaure loading icon (cool), etc etc. Its slightly faster at accessing menus and songs, but not much of an improvement.

Over the weekend, I finally got round to trying to sort the problem out.

I updated the firmware and Connect version, initialized the NW-A3000 (I had to because Connect wouldn't recognise the player otherwise - very annoying!), defragmented the unit and retransferred all my music. With 4,000+ tracks and only USB1 ports available, this took a LONG time!

Anyway, the eventual outcome is that my DAP works better than it's ever done (thank goodness - I was close to giving up!). Start-up now takes 10 seconds instead of more than a minute and everything else is pretty instantaneous instead of waiting for the spinning disc to do its thing!

Very, very happy (or should that be 'relieved'?). It was a hassle getting the player working well again (and one that shouldn't have been necessary) but well worth it in the end.

EXACTLY!!!

My 3000 was going SO SLOW when i updated to firmware 3.0 and the new SS4.0CP. It was taking ages to start up, and took at least 2 or 3 seconds the scroll between each screen (such as when scrolling through the a-z of artists)

I reconnected, defragmented, and its now working BETTER THAN EVER.

Its so fast now, a real improvement :)

-x-x-x-

defragged My player and what a difference. Was taking up to 10 seconds to go from a to b now instintanious.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm using sonicstage 4.0cp and it works great, but i'm not sure if it updates changes to songs when i reconnect, like if i changed the genre or something?