SI: Sony Gives The Walkman A Series Another Generation

Rate this question

Christopher

Question

PIA0001003104-450x336.png

I don’t blame Sony for using the gorgeous design found in the popular Walkman A Series a second time around. In some ways, this Walkman is probably up there amongst the best product designs the company has made in the last 64 years. Is that really so much of a bold claim? There is still something special about this Walkman even in its second generation. Meet the new Sony Walkman A850 series. Despite the fact the competition is so insanely fierce, Sony has added a few things here and there to make this still an incredible audio player for the high-end enthusiast.

Sadly, this is not the Android Walkman you’ve been looking for.

I always read about how slim audio players are getting and the NW-A850 series is no exception, as it maintains the same shape as the previous models at only 7.2mm thin. That is really slim. It’s the perfect fusion of analog greatness and digital innovation. It has buttons. Buttons to go Back, or Home, Options, and the usual Play/Pause and directional pad.

This Walkman is very hard to perfect for Sony because in some ways; this type of design will soon become obsolete as music players mostly have big screens, few buttons and will soon have unconventional form factors. Look at the iPod for example, the device that destroyed Sony’s portable audio dominance – the most popular music player of all time with its navigation wheel has transitioned to nearly all touchscreen models. The iPod Classic is still available, but faces extinction soon. And when Apple goes all touchscreen, the majority of the portable music player industry will too.

PIA0001003107.jpg?imgmax=200
PIA0001003106.jpg?imgmax=200
PIA0001003105.jpg?imgmax=200

Nonetheless, I believe the Walkman A series has the pinnacle of what one would consider a good multimedia experience. It’s a worthy device to carry along with your phone. It’s drag and drop, meaning you can transfer music to it by dragging from your library to the drive. Capacity is no issue, as there are 16GB (NW-A855), 32GB (NW-A856), and 64GB (NW-A857) versions. Battery life is up to 29 hours, while video playback clocks in at 11 hours. The display is a crisp and goregous 2.8 inch OLED screen and is available in Black, Rose and White colors. Audiophiles will bask in the glory of the integrated Digital Noise Cancelling feature/earphones (13.5mm), which in my experiences at CES earlier this year, was able to completely drain out noise around me when I tried the earphones on. That’s pretty impressive considering there was hundreds of people around me. There are three sound modes: Transit, Airplane, and Office modes adjust the settings for the best noise cancelling possible.

sony2_06.jpg?imgmax=200
sony2_05.jpg?imgmax=200
sony2_03.jpg?imgmax=200

The Walkman A Series has a S-Master digital amplifier, DSEE, and Clear Stereo for incredible sound. These options have been a staple feature in the highest end Walkmans and allow you to color the audio to your liking. Support is pretty robust with MP3/WMA (DRM not supported) / ATRAC / ATRAC Advanced Lossless / Linear PCM / AAC (DRM not supported) / HE-AAC. Can you believe they are still supporting my beloved (ha ha) ATRAC in Japan after removing it everywhere else in the world?

Video playback is great with the ability to do MPEG-4 AVC/H.264, MPEG-4, WMV (DRM supported), up to 720

18 answers to this question

My patience is waning, this is nothing new or interesting. How does this really differ for the current A840 that i can get.

The only unique player was the American X Series that included Slacker. Give me DAB+ or FM Transmitter or something to sweeten the deal.

MP3 players are a dying bread when you consider phones with OLED screens last a long time and offer a lot of music features. Nokia makes noise cancelling earphones also which can be used with an device.

I used to love Walkmans, but they have lost there wow factor and the X-Series might be my last walkman if things dont improve, that is the sad truth

You can add my name to the "very disappointed with Sony Walkmans" list. I have been a loyal walkman fan for a while now - but got so fed up I took the plunge and bought a Cowon J3. I still want sony to succeed but rehashing/reissuing the latest A series is a joke.

Sony seems to have gone from an innovator to a follower.

How are they following, to follow you actually have to bring innovations of your competitors

They are just like a dead horse, staggering along cant even be bothered copying features except for the useless coverflow which i would have prefered they didnt do as it makes the device slower(album art display is slow).

May i ask why you sold the X-Series?

What does the A-Series offer that the X-Series didnt (WIFI, Slacker, Web & Podcasts)

The new A Series offers capacity - which is what most of us have been asking for all along. Plus I'm not a fan of Sony's implementation of the "pause" on the X series, as the screen would always go on every time I pressed a control - made the battery life not too spectacular. And I also prefer tactile controls, and the upcoming A Series is TACTILE.

As for slacker, I have that on my Android phone, totally useless without wifi on the X Series IMO - just filler.

Besides, if you'd read my first post in this thread, you'd know why I want the new A Series.

its not useless for me, sometimes it takes 5 min sometimes 5 hrs.

But always has lots of music and stuff they i have never heard.

I never thought about the pause on the X-Series.

But if there was a 64GB X-Series would you get that above the A-Series, or is the battery life not good enough for you. I use the tactile keys at the top

I'd go with the 64gb A Series over a 64gb X Series any day.

If Sony released a 64gb S63X Series player it would be perfect tho, as my S639 is the perfect Sony IMO. :new_russian:

The S639 is one of my all time favs. :imsohappy: My oldest son is using it ATM, and he better give it back in the same condition.

Again, I wait and wait for Sony to release a 64gb Walkman in the USA - I bought an iPod classic instead. Really, WTH is Sony thinking??? There's so many in the USA that would buy a HC Walkman and make Sony #1 again.

Sony is doing the same stupid thing they always do, shooting themselves in the foot.

I can order this from Amazon.co.jp now (Nov 14th 2010) - does anyone know if there is an option to change the device's Japanese menus to English, or is it Japanese only?

Also, do I HAVE to use Japanese software to handle files for the player or can I just use iTunes or equivalent (or even just drag and drop in Windows Explorer)?

Many thanks