SonicStage CP 4.0: Bugs [PLEASE REPORT WITHIN]

Rate this topic

csynt

I've just noticed something strange, none of my mp3s show any of their tag info correctly in sscp. When I look into an album the Title is the mp3 filename, the artist, length Genre, album and year are all blank.

I don't want to use that stupid gracenote rubbish all my mp3 are properly tagged. I spent ages fixing them after connect screwed them all up (I now have them on an NTFS partition with only Read access when any sony software is running)

What have we ever done to Sony to make them hate us so much that they torment us with such crappy software. Ohh well back to using the now discontinued connect

I'm still having problems with a great part of my music after updating to SS 4.0.

Before updating, my NW-HD5H was working perfectly, I could play all my music.

After updating to SS4.0 a lot of my files wont play unless the player is connected to my computer. I store all my files on the player itself as my computer doesn't have enough harddisk space. Is there any solution to this?

Guest Stuge

I'm still having problems with a great part of my music after updating to SS 4.0.

After updating to SS4.0 a lot of my files wont play unless the player is connected to my computer. I store all my files on the player itself as my computer doesn't have enough harddisk space. Is there any solution to this?

What are you saying ??? can please eloborate

So this is what has happened ...

My NW-HD5H had lots of music on it, some was ripped from CDs through SonicStage 3.3 and 3.4. Others was mp3s that was transfered using sonicstage too. All the music files were stored on my NW-HD5H (my computers harddrive is tiny!). All files were working fine.

I then upgraded to Sonicstage CP 4.0. After I had connected my NW-HD5H to the computer and SonicStage went through the whole artist link info and so on I disconnencted my player and a lot of my files will now not play when the player is disconnected from the computer. When I try to play them an error message appears on the lcd saying "track error, cannot play file" or something like that. When I just skip thorugh the files without playing them, all the files that cannot be played is missing information in the bottom left corner syaing what type of file it is (mp3, atrac, atrac3plus and so on).

So ... I connected my player to the computer again, now remember, all my files are stored on the player, not the computer. When I now try to play the files through SS CP4 everything works fine. They come up with the correct file type (Mp3 and so on).

It seems that this is only affecting files that was ripped from CDs but I'm not completely sure about this.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I get errors like this when I try to convert some MP3s to Atrac. error5wb.jpg

But it only happens for some MP3s, others convert fine, and I can transfer the MP3s without converting them too. :sad:

Make sure your not trying to convert from VARIABLE BITRATE

Similiar problem I had. When you use SS, your DAP makes a database. When you disconnect, your DAP itself makes a separate database. Your DAP database is corrupted. Access your DAP through explorer and look at the dates in your OMGAUDIO folder (if you have one or the folder where your audio is stored on your DAP). If you files that are outdated delete them then unplug from computer. Your DAP will regenerate its database. Hopefully this will solve your issue.

PS - BE SURE TO BACK UP BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING

I had to delete all the tracks from my Vaio Pocket and HD5H before SS4.0 CP would allow any transfers. Not a (huge) problem as all the tracks are in My Library, but a pain all the same.

Took a couple of overnight runs to restore all the tracks including bitrate conversions (30GB+)...

KJ, I have a VP too and I have 45GBS of tracks stored and I always delete and keep my library in SS clear. Do you have any clue as to why you were not able to get it to work? Any possible theories ? If this is something that is mandatory then I would not be upgrading from 4.0 and would stay with 3.4.

Edited by JSP62

Similiar problem I had. When you use SS, your DAP makes a database. When you disconnect, your DAP itself makes a separate database. Your DAP database is corrupted. Access your DAP through explorer and look at the dates in your OMGAUDIO folder (if you have one or the folder where your audio is stored on your DAP). If you files that are outdated delete them then unplug from computer. Your DAP will regenerate its database. Hopefully this will solve your issue.

PS - BE SURE TO BACK UP BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING

So what files is it that could be corrupted? is it the acctual OMA files or is there some files controlling the databases? I don't have my player here with me as I am in work and it is at home.

used verion 4 on A3000 a few times no problem then it locked up after trying to connect for 7 mins with an error on the PC ” cannot use intelligent facilities becaus the connected antrac device does not have the updated database. Disconnect and connect device again to update datbase. Did just that and go same error again and again. disconnected and started A3000 up and al the music files had disappeared 2200 of them. . reconnect - same error. Came with error on a3000 - no music files. but on connectiong to pc and search for them they were there!

Had to initialize disk again and reload files and all works again. but 5 days on the same problem.

Also finding music files on A3000 is much slower after upgrade.

i get lots of problems trying to transfer tracks (both 320kbps mp3s off my own CDs ripped in early sonicstage and assorted bitrate mp3s from downloads) to my HD5H

either 'transfer not allowed' on certain tracks, which subsequently will sometimes transfer ok and others iget a complete crash of sonicstage and it will continue to crash when trying to transfer. didn't have either of these problems with 3.4 and i have tried uninstalling and reinstalling 4.0 and reinitialising my HD5H and even reimporting my entire database.

so now i have a blank HD5H which i can't transfer my entire collection with unless i do it in bits and pieces sat watching it very carefully for crashes because when it crashes it leaves on the player the files but no database (can i force it to build a database when none exists?)

don't understand why i have these problems and others don't...

trying to convert and transfer into a fairly low atrac bitrate, 66, 105, something like that

Edited by spoon

So what files is it that could be corrupted? is it the acctual OMA files or is there some files controlling the databases? I don't have my player here with me as I am in work and it is at home.

sorry for the delay epidot.

when you look at your device root folder in explorer, open your OMGAUDIO folder (I think all Sony device have this folder) There will be folders that hold your OMG file, but also there will be other files that are not in the folders. Those are the ones you should be checking.

REF:

http://www.atraclife.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1534

http://www.atraclife.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1564

http://www.atraclife.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1587

Some info that will help and is related to your problem

Yea!

Like I am really gonna upgrade to 4.0 after hearing all these problems....its a cruel joke

Edited by JSP62

Damned thing won't even start for me!, i keep getting the message

''Cannot locate files related to windows media format exiting SonicStage''

Anyone know how i can fix this?

EDIT - Reinstalled Windows media player, then reinstalled SS 4.0. It now works :D

Edited by Richard_p

used verion 4 on A3000 a few times no problem then it locked up after trying to connect for 7 mins with an error on the PC ” cannot use intelligent facilities becaus the connected antrac device does not have the updated database. Disconnect and connect device again to update datbase. Did just that and go same error again and again. disconnected and started A3000 up and al the music files had disappeared 2200 of them. . reconnect - same error. Came with error on a3000 - no music files. but on connectiong to pc and search for them they were there!

Had to initialize disk again and reload files and all works again. but 5 days on the same problem.

Also finding music files on A3000 is much slower after upgrade.

SAME ERROR TO ME.

I HAD LOST MY FILES ALMOST 2 TIMES.

HAD TO INITIALIZE DISK TOO, IT ALSO HANGS UP WHEN TRANSFERING FILES.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a little late, but hopefully someone might read this still. Sonicstage 3.4 worked flawlessly for me. I've always just upgraded on top of the old versions and it's been great. But now, with 4.0CP, seemingly random MP3 files won't play of their own accord - instead, you have to click on the status bar to get any sound. No problem with wma's or ATRAC files. I reinstalled WMP10 to reinstall the codecs but the same problems exist. Anyone know of some possible solutions, other than re-ripping my whole music collection into ATRAC?

Thanks,

Nav

P.S. Otherwise, 4.0 is amazing - I've just finally run up against the wall of bugs everyone keeps talking about in Sony software...

• 2 weeks later...

I have been working with Sony Techs for the last two weekends trying to get SS working. You have to run the installer three or four times to get it to complete - when i finally got it installed it doesn't recognize my NW-E005F device. The device is recognized by the computer as a SONY NWWM MEM AAD2 USB Device - but SonicStage doesn't see it. I'm running Win XP Pro at home.

I loaded the software on two other PCs (at work) - same results. These last two are networked (also Win XP Pro), of course - so maybe that's the problem there?

The next stop is the store where I bought it - they can keep the D$#@@& thing.

Has anyone come across this? I'd appreciate any help - I'm just about to give up.

It keeps hanging while "Updating Rating Information" (when I say hanging, I mean it gets to 74% and gives up but won't do anything else though the program is still responding). Then, when I shut the program, it wipes the unit. So I have to re-transfer all 4000 tracks (a bit at a time as the program crashes when asked to transfer all) EVERYTIME I want to add something new or delete duplicate tracks.

ETA: Turns out I just need to be a lot more patient. It eventually catches up with itself.

Edited by dizzle

• 2 weeks later...

I've had the same problem where it goes onto updating database, but even when i left it for ages, stayed on 74, and came up with an error message regarding the intelligent features. when i unplugged the unit, my music was gone. i rang the sony helpline and they said i would have to clear my hard drive which i did, but even after this, iv got the same problem. HELP!!!

aS x

I now notice that, since connecting the NW-A608 to SS 4.0, the albums on the player no longer appear in the display of the player itself in alphabetical order, nor does there seem to be any logic to the order in which they appear - for example, they do not appear in the order they were imported into the player.

The player has previously been used with a PC that had SS 3.4 installed on it - I have never used the old Connect Player software.

I experienced the exact same problem. Sony Support tell me to transfer all files back onto the Walkman using SonicStage CP to correct the sort order but my original files are no longer in My Library on my PC so this isn't an option. Can anyone advise on another solution?

Syncing some tracks using SonicStage 4.0CP, and it simply exited, with no error, for no reason. It took me about 10 attempts to copy music. It may have been caused by the WiFi network (where the music library is located), as it worked as soon as I moved the PC and connected it to a wired LAN connection.

Still very strange, as if it was crashing, I would have expected a XP error report to pop up. All I got was noting, bang, SS4.0CP was gone.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had the same problem where it goes onto updating database, but even when i left it for ages, stayed on 74, and came up with an error message regarding the intelligent features.

I had been having the same problem, hanging at 73% every time. I had to format my player every time I updated my music.

Then today, while it was hanging yet again, I just happened to click the "Transfer mode settings" button (the one that looks like a toolbox - in the center of your screen when you're in "Transfer" mode). Then I hit the "Advanced..." button. On the "Intelligent Features" tab, it had been set to "Transfer without getting release year...". I changed it to the first option ("Transfer after getting release year..."). Also, on the "Transfer Settings" tab, I unclicked "Transfer automatically..." at the bottom. After I OK'ed out of that, my player loaded right up.

I'm not sure what exactly made it work, but try it if you're having this problem!

used verion 4 on A3000 a few times no problem then it locked up after trying to connect for 7 mins with an error on the PC ” cannot use intelligent facilities becaus the connected antrac device does not have the updated database. Disconnect and connect device again to update datbase.

Im having exactly the same problem with my A1000, IT IS REALLY ANNOYING!!!!

Somebody please help so i can use my player again, every time this message comes up i lose about 100 tracks from my player!!

HELP!!!

[EDIT] Anyone expereincing this problem, i belive i have worked it out, turn off the intelligent features (it should then load up a list of the tunes you have on your player), delete one track from your player, then turn intelligent features back on and it updates the database!!!

Well it seems to work for me anyway!!

Edited by like no other

• 2 weeks later...

It keeps hanging while "Updating Rating Information" (when I say hanging, I mean it gets to 74% and gives up but won't do anything else though the program is still responding). Then, when I shut the program, it wipes the unit. So I have to re-transfer all 4000 tracks (a bit at a time as the program crashes when asked to transfer all) EVERYTIME I want to add something new or delete duplicate tracks.

ETA: Turns out I just need to be a lot more patient. It eventually catches up with itself.

I bought my 20gig purple player back in february from Amazon. I took a chance after reviews slated its ironically named connect player. The player itself is nice, but they said the software kills/ed it.

How wrong was I?! I experienced EVERYTHING negative about the Sony Software. It crashes/hangs for no apparent reason. I thought it was my pc, but after upgrading the specs, it was the same!

If I want to put music on the damn thing, I have to initialise the disk. Then after about ..i dunno...12 all 2400 tracks are on.

I listen to the music on the player for a bit. A few days later, I decide to connect the player so it would update played information (why the player can't do it by itself I don't know) and I could add some more tracks, delete some duplicates etc.

It does the whole "Updating Rating Information" crap and then gets stuck at 74%! Then it locks up. I can't click anything within SS4 so I'm forced to exit it from WTM and start again, only to get the "Can't use intelligent feature" story and starts to update database. That also freezes at 40%. So restart again...when it finally works there's nothing on the player. Where the hell did it put 2400 tracks? It says there are now 0.0kb of memory left on it!

Why is it, that to add one new track, I have to delete everything and put back all 2400!

Oh yeah, the stupid gracenote intelligent feature gathering thing doesn't work either. It will either crash, or I will have to find info for a few tracks at a time, and when it finds information it will stick in the wrong one! Wrong artists, incomplete date releases. I resorted to editing manually seeveral music files.

Sony's music transfer softwares are frustrating to use! Its the least userfriendly, intuitive music transfer software ever! Everytime I find a thread about it on the internet its to complain about it. Disgusting Sony.

• 3 weeks later...

cant bloody make atrac/audio cds, bloody hell, sony shitty software, bloody hell!! Sonicstage 4.0 CP is rubbish. Why cant it be like itunes, have your music on up to 5 machines instead of 1, bloody redownload 6 gig of music everytime i get a new pc, bloody hell!!

I feel a bit screwed by Sony really as i cant switch over to apple/ipod as i cant burn my 120 albums to individual discs so i can use them on itunes/ipod etc. I feel like im being forced to stay with sonicstage/sony walkman. Very unhappy as i got a sony atrac car stereo and cant use it!! man how long have they been trying to sort this software out? I can only stay loyal so long, maybe microsoft will rebuy all my songs for the zune player....

Edited by JKRashid