NetMD for Windows 7 64bit

Rate this topic

McGaggs

I have a NetMD MZ-N510. I cannot get any of the stuff to work sadly (Windows 7).

I had a look at MP3 players this week. None of them seem to be as good as old minidisc, even after all the time they've had. They all look sleek but battery life is appalling and sound quality questionable.

What is the INF file as a matter of interest and where do we find it? I have hunudreds of .inf files on my PC

Thanks

Wilsy

Hey, I've got a slightly different problem, but since I can't find any info elsewhere after hours of searching this is my last hope. Basically I've just installed windows 7 after having xp, but I'm having some problems with my Sony CMT-M33NT hi-fi. Basically I'm not interested in the MD functions but all I want to do is to get M-Crew running on my PC so I can control volume, and other aspects of my hi-fi via the pc.

The usb audio codec works fine and everything is okay in that respect, and with changing the compatability mode i've managed to get m-crew to run. But the problem is that it does not detect the hi-fi and therefore is useless. I've never encountered a problem like this before while using XP so I can only assume it is because of Windows 7. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I've installed all the drivers that I recieved with the hi-fi too, including the PcllkDrv which, I believe, is responsible for the USB connection and M-Crew. So it should really be working:-( Its a shame there's so little support for this software online.

Thanks for your response.. Was wondering what you mean by "virtual machine" though? From what I remember i've used it before to boot up older operating systems within a different operating system. Do you mean i'll have to boot up xp on the virtual machine, install it on that, and then keep having to boot into the virtual machine to access m-crew?

Or am I way off and there is actually a way to make Windows 7 think I'm installing on XP when infact I can run it normally from Windows 7?

You have it exactly right. You have to start the virtual XP mode. And you need the advanced versions of W7 before you can do that. It's a free download but only if you got the more expensive version(s).

Okay thanks. So just to clarify, after installing M-Crew via the virtual machine, I WONT be able to access it through the normal Windows 7 environment and will have to keep booting into the virtual machine to open it?

Okay thanks. So just to clarify, after installing M-Crew via the virtual machine, I WONT be able to access it through the normal Windows 7 environment and will have to keep booting into the virtual machine to open it?

Eggzactly.

Frankly I think it's a miracle you can even do that, when you contemplate the grand mystery of 64-bit addressing :) It's definitely not W7's fault, you would be fine in W7/32, and you would be completely out of luck in Vista 64.

Just a note: it's not MCrew per se but the USB driver which is the problem here.

Eggzactly.

Frankly I think it's a miracle you can even do that, when you contemplate the grand mystery of 64-bit addressing :) It's definitely not W7's fault, you would be fine in W7/32, and you would be completely out of luck in Vista 64.

Just a note: it's not MCrew per se but the USB driver which is the problem here.

Lol its a shame really. As I really find the ability to change volume and switch to radio, cd, etc via the PC as essential.

Just to clarify though, I was trying to run it on Windows 7 Home Basic 32bit, as it was on a very very old AMD Athlon 2000+ PC, but it still didn't work. So I'm not sure this is just an issue with the 64bit version?

Am waiting for the Dell XPS 17 laptops to include a HD/3D screen and then I'll be getting one of those and, I presume, will be running a 64bit full version of Windows 7. Its a shame there's no proper way to solve this and I just wish there was an alternative way to adjust the volume, etc of the Hi-Fi rather than having to rely on an archaic, albeit useful, M-Crew :-)

er.. well... it's a bit anecdotal at the moment.

Our feeling is it should be working for ALL, and there is no evidence to the contrary. Certainly everyone who tried it got their unit working.

What almost certainly does NOT work is the PCLK part.

Hi there

Just joined this forum. It's great to know I'm not alone in this problem.

As a musician, I've had the invaluable use of a mini-disc recorder for a good 8-years now and was obviously delighted when Sony brought out the Hi-MD so I could transfer recordings (of my own practice and live performances as a musician) direct from there to my computer, and make CDs from it (to give to friends or for my own records etc).

However, my old (Windows XP) computer has just failed on me, and I

The good news is that SonicStage does work under Windows 7 64 bit - I'm living proof.

With the caveat that you download and allow Windows to install the driver from post #54 in this thread. It's in the downloads section of our site.

Stephen

This is my personal computer at home, no one else uses it, I have obviously never been logged as anything other than administrator, but I still got the message about not being logged on as administrator! Tried to google it but haven't managed to solve it that way. Ok will try your suggestions and get back to you thank you.

cheers

Tim

PS Stephen, just looked at the download files - obviously I will need the Sonic Stage ultimate 4.3, do I need to download and install all of the others too?

Please advise. Thank you for your help and patience, I really need this software!!

You will need the Sonic Stage Ultimate. You will need the netmd760, probably best to install that even before Sonic Stage, but please don't shoot me if that turns out to be wrong.

I have no idea which "others" of the 100+ files in our downloads you are meaning. No, you shouldn't need anything else.

Whether Simple Burner will work with this netmd760 driver setup is unknown. (I bet someone out there has tried it and will come rushing forward). It is known to fail completely.

As far as needing to be Admin, what you may wish to do is to get rid of UAC. Microsoft say this isn't a good idea. But it may be actually necessary for some legacy software like SS. For the moment try "run as administrator" for every time you use it (this may be a matter of making a permanent link of some kind, I don't recall how, and I still don't have W7/64 running myself, so this is the blind leading the blind to a certain extent!!!!). It is entirely possible that Avrin somehow got around this with the ultimate install (or that it's a later version of some components, which I believe to be the case), and your Administrator problem will go away.

You can actually try logging in as "administrator".

Stephen

Sorry, but once I've downloaded the Net MD 760, what do I do with the files???? I'm doing this before I try the sonic stage itself.

clueless here.

thanks

Tim

insert a netMD disk into your unit, and plug the unit into the PC via the (USB) cable provided. When the popup about drivers occurs, point Windows at the driver you have (the INF, but all three need to be in the same folder). I suspect it may have more trouble if it's the zip file, so they may need to be extracted from it first.

PS What's UAC ?

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-user-account-control-uac-the-easy-way-on-windows-vista/

You will need the Sonic Stage Ultimate.

Can you elaborate on this Stephen? I thought the Ultimate (or Pro) versions were only necessary if you wanted to run Simple Burner on virtual XP. Won't your Net MD 760 files work with any version?

Whether Simple Burner will work with this netmd760 driver setup is unknown. (I bet someone out there has tried it and will come rushing forward). It is known to fail completely.

I've just tried it (with W7 Pro 64 bit) and get the message "MD Simple Burner does not support this operating system." You can still install it if you set up a virtual machine running XP (for which you do need Ultimate or Pro), but from my own experience, by the time you've got XP up and running you might as well have used SonicStage.

Can you elaborate on this Stephen? I thought the Ultimate (or Pro) versions were only necessary if you wanted to run Simple Burner on virtual XP. Won't your Net MD 760 files work with any version?

"Ultimate" refers to the version of Sonic Stage, not the version of Windows. There are TWO Ultimates here, unfortunately.

I've just tried it (with W7 Pro 64 bit) and get the message "MD Simple Burner does not support this operating system." You can still install it if you set up a virtual machine running XP (for which you do need Ultimate or Pro), but from my own experience, by the time you've got XP up and running you might as well have used SonicStage.

There was always a problem if one set up Simple Burner after SonicStage. IIRC it was necessary to reinstall Sonic Stage over top to get the low level components working. Presumably SB, being of a previous generation was naughty about what it installed and failed to check for later versions of OMG, or something like that.

So at a guess my order would be (regardless of what was already on the machine):

1. Simple Burner

2. Drivers (760)

3. Sonic Stage Ultimate.

I know for a fact that SS Ultimate (once again, simply the last version of Sonic Stage, nothing to do with Windows version or configuration) can be installed over top of previous versions including the Sony 4.3 and no harm will come.

It may be necessary to delete some NetMD drivers and reinstall the 760 one, at the end, but I am really not sure of the exact sequence. I have given a pointer to the original thread detailing how to get rid of NetMD (indeed any other!) drivers you don't want, higher up this thread, in post #53.

Glad to say I have successfully installed and am happily using Sonic Stage ultimate in Windows 7 (64-bit)

I didn't have any previous versions installed, and I had downloaded the Net MD 760 drivers as you suggested and it seemed to find them itself.

Thanks guys!

Glad to say I have successfully installed and am happily using Sonic Stage ultimate in Windows 7 (64-bit)

I didn't have any previous versions installed, and I had downloaded the Net MD 760 drivers as you suggested and it seemed to find them itself.

Thanks guys!

You say "8 years" - implying that you may have some disks that are "legacy" disks (pre-HiMD). You can and should be able to upload HiMD-formatted 80m disks (and of course 1GB disks which are only ever HiMD formatted) without any drivers, however. The crunch may come when you try to upload the "pre-HiMD" disks to the PC. This is when you WILL need the 760 NetMD driver (and of course your RH1 since no other unit will actually perform said upload).

Good luck, and come back to us here if you have any more comments or troubles.

Stephen

I just bought a NetMD MZ-DN430 minidisc player. I have upgraded the software the software sonicstage to 4.3 with the windows 7 compatibility mode. I still cannot get sonicstage to recognize my minidisc player. I have installed the drivers that came on the CD that came with the MD Player, but windows 7 does not recognize them. When I go to device and printers and right click on the MD Player >properties>Hardware tab> properties again then the details tab and there are 2 files:

USB\VID_054C&PID_00CA&REV_0100

USB\VID_054C&PID_00CA

I have tried everything that I could think of to get the system to recognize the MD Player. My Laptop is a Sony Vaio VGN SR530. it is a 64 bit system running windows 7 preinstalled. it's processor is 2.2Ghz with 8gigs of ram.

I have used an NE430 version of the player before, but I had windows 2000 pro and no problems.

If there is anyone that can help, Please.

Suggestions:

1: read this thread from the very beginning and try to understand it

2: install Avrin's Sonic Stage Ultimate Version 2 (from our downloads section) over top of your existing Sonic Stage installation.

3. (if you did the above install in Windows XP virtual machine - obviously you have Win7 Pro or Ultimate, or you are misleading yourself and us - see the USB drop down at the top of the screen, and turn on the USB for your NetMD device)

4. If you want to run SonicStage WITHOUT the compatibility mode, install the drivers referenced in this thread as NetMD760.*, and chortle all the way home. This will be much faster and much less hassle than firing up the XP virtual machine every time.

(for the technically minded, your x00CA information listed above means that your device is considered to all intents and purposes the same as an MZ-NE410).

Welcome to the forums.

Ok, I have read all 4 pages in this section of the forum. I understand most of it, but I have no programming experience under my belt and have no idea how to modify any .inf file. Now, I know how to get to them, but I do not know how to modify them and I am afraid to make changes thinking I will mess up my OS (windows 7 Home Premium, sorry that I did not mention it in the previous post).

I have tried what you said to install SS 4.3 #2 over the original and I now cannot get SS 4.3 to load. I get an error. I have tried numerous times to uninstall and reinstall SS 4.3 and the openMG secure module and meet up with an error that I don't have time ot read before the system shuts down for reboot.

The drivers are still not loaded for the MD, even with the SS 4.3 #2. I have been working on this problem for about 12 hrs now and it is starting to frustrate me.

1. You misstated that you had loaded SonicStage in XP compatibility mode. This is simply not possible in Home Premium. This rules out item #3 as a solution since you are not running the virtual XP machine.

2. Don't forget that the removal of software doesn't really finalize until you shut down a windows machine. So it is critical to reboot after you REMOVE something. Then you may try again

3. The drivers you need for NetMD are in the download section, the very last file to be posted. This includes the files that we describe in the posts (netmd760.*).

I am sorry for your pain. Many of us had to wait a year, not 12 hours, to solve this particular problem. Not that this makes things any better for you.

You'll get it working.

When you say "over the original" do you mean on top of Sony's version from downloading from the Sony website, or do you mean the "original Ultimate" from Avrin, posted here or elsewhere at some time?

Clean off your machine of all this SonicStage stuff, reboot, and start over with the files in the download section (click "downloads" at the top of this page). SonicStage is the highlighted listing under Programs, and the NetMD760 is the highlighted listing under Drivers. Hope this helps.

I did reboot after removing the software, but something did not get removed completely because when I try to reinstall, it asks me if I want to install over existing files.

I installed over the original software that Sony provided. Now, it came with SS 3.2, should I install that in the win xp shell then install the SS 4.3 over that?

Ah, we're getting closer. Do you have music files that you generated under SonicStage 3.2?

If not, do your best to get rid of all that stuff absolutely. Delete all the files in the directories where any Sonic Stage got installed, for a start. And try to go back to a restore point before you started any of this (hopefully 2-3 days ago, and hopefully you haven't done much else to your registry except trying to install SonicStage). That at least should get rid of any idea that it has a SonicStage installation.

If you DO have music files that you care about, things are much more tricky. SonicStage 3.2 is a very old and extremely finicky piece of software, with a lot more restrictions on the content than exist now.

Anyhow, to answer your questions, and assuming you don't care about what was there before, simply let it install over the top.

I don't understand something. If you really have Home Premium, you should not have a WinXP shell. In any event, NO, don't bother to do anything with the virtual machine.

ok

I have gone through my files and removed any drivers and software related to netmd and rebooted. I have downloaded the drivers and the SS4.3 from the forums and getting ready to install.

SS 3.2 did import some music files from Itunes, but ended in an error and was not able to complete the process.

I will install the SS 4.3 Ultimate #2 from the forums and go from there.

If there is anything else, please let me know.

ok,

I have just reinstalled SS 4.3 from the forums After in went through my system files and removed all drivers and anything related to SS and rebooted. I just went to start SS and I get this error:

The selected music file cannot be played back because the system information has been changed.

Click OK to automatically close sonic stage and open SonicStage System Information Restore Tool

(Error Code: 00004e2e)

now, I close SS and let it open the tool and I get an error with a blank window, have to close out of it and uninstall and try to reinstall the software with the same results.

What can I do from here?