NetMD for Windows 7 64bit

Rate this topic

McGaggs

Suggest you download the 64-bit driver (which will be fine for your machine) from

And unpack it BEFORE you start Sonic Stage install. Once Sonic Stage install is complete, now you should plug in the MZ-DN430 (with a disk in it, please) and you will have fun getting Windows to recognize that driver you just downloaded, by pointing the Windows USB installer at the new files (the file it will point at is netmd760.inf but it will need .cat and .sys in the same director when you do that).

Now you can start Sonic Stage. Do NOT let it convince you to look for and import music. You can do that "later".

With any luck at all you should now see the DN430 in Sonic Stage. Good luck!

Since the above has happened, I have not tried to install the software again. I ave completely removed SS and drivers for the MD and awaiting further help.

One thing that was different is when I removed the software and the openMG software, I got no error this time and I have thoroughly gone through my system and files to remove any reminence of the software that I could find, including all drivers relating to it and the MD player.

Since the above has happened, I have not tried to install the software again. I ave completely removed SS and drivers for the MD and awaiting further help.

One thing that was different is when I removed the software and the openMG software, I got no error this time and I have thoroughly gone through my system and files to remove any reminence of the software that I could find, including all drivers relating to it and the MD player.

Not sure what help you need, it should work.

I suppose it might be worth following the steps in this post to be absolutely clear that all traces of drivers are gone.

Where do I find the .cat and .sys files? In under the sony audio drivers folder?

They should be in exactly the same place to which you unzipped the downloaded netmd760.inf

It may well be that the installer in W7 sees the zip file as just another folder. If so, pointing the installer at the .inf will do just fine. In previous versions of Windows you had to unpack (unzip) the file and then point at the unpacked .inf

Well, good news and bad news. I will start with the good news first. I installed SS 4.3 from the forums with no problems. I had unpacked both the drivers and SS in their own folders. Once SS was installed, I rebooted. I then took the drivers and placed them in the personal audio file under sony. I then cut and pasted the new drivers into that folder, connected the md player, updated drivers, got a warning telling me that the drivers could not be verified, but installed anyway, and got it to recognize the MD player.

Now, the bad news. Once i got the drivers or md player to recognize the drivers etc., I started SS and it got a portion of the way booted, then it shut down. There was an error or something that cause it to shut down. Then I tried to reboot SS again and i get the following error again:

The selected music file cannot be played back because the system information has been changed.

Click OK to automatically close sonic stage and open SonicStage System Information Restore Tool

(Error Code: 00004e2e)

Now, I did not allow it nor did SS give me an option to import music from the HDD at anytime. Where do I go from here. I did follow some advice about adding "devmgr_show_devices" etc and found my system to be free and clear of all netMD software with the exception of what I did this morning.

Where did I go wrong?

I then took the drivers and placed them in the personal audio file under sony.

Seems we have a terminology disconnect, because I don't quite understand what you mean.

I then cut and pasted the new drivers into that folder,

ditto

connected the md player, updated drivers,

Still don't understand what you have done. What do you mean "updated drivers"? There should be nothing to update if you did the install as I tried to explain.

got a warning telling me that the drivers could not be verified, but installed anyway, and got it to recognize the MD player.

What is your evidence that it recognized the player? (I don't doubt it, just trying to understand what you are seeing).

Here are the steps you should follow (start with a freshly booted system and no MD plugged into USB):

1. do the "show_hidden_devices" thingy and delete all NetMD drivers you can see. For good measure you might get rid of any driver that currently shows the yellow exclamation mark, too.

2. unpack/extract the NetMD760.zip download into a place you recognize (suggest making a new folder of your own)

3. plug in the NetMD/USB cable. When prompted, tell the installer that you want to specify the files and that you have a disk. Point at the file NetMD760.inf. This should give you exactly ONE choice of file to install from. Choose it. You should be in business.

Sorry if this isn't clear but I don't have W7 and NetMD to try this. Someone who did it can probably help.

I think you managed to install some old drivers (that override you did sounds suspicious to me).

Hope this helps.

For those without a PhD in computer science I fear that SS shall remain an impossibly confusing and frustrating piece of software.

My advice - ditch the PC and buy a deck and portable units to record in real time (of 4x speed if you have the CD-MD decks). That was the original way MD was intended.

Ok,

Success!!!!!!

Turns out that I had to go into the registry and remove any and all remnants of OMG and SS. Once this was done, I rebooted, even though it was not necessary. Once I rebooted, I reinstalled SS 4.3. I left the Drivers alone completely. Once SS was installed and pc rebooted, I started up SS and it loaded completely, then I plugged in the md player and the right side of SS opened up with the md player and the disc in it. Only problem is, I cannot transfer music from the disc back into SS, which is one of the reason I got the MD.

Thank you all for trying to help. I know you did the best you could with limited info.

Ok,

Success!!!!!!

Turns out that I had to go into the registry and remove any and all remnants of OMG and SS.

It's great that you know how to do this. If someone has no idea, trying to give detailed explanation ain't gonna work.

Once this was done, I rebooted, even though it was not necessary. Once I rebooted, I reinstalled SS 4.3. I left the Drivers alone completely. Once SS was installed and pc rebooted, I started up SS and it loaded completely, then I plugged in the md player and the right side of SS opened up with the md player and the disc in it.

I think the key is probably to install that driver BEFORE you try installing Sonic Stage, so that the driver doesn't get overwritten. Not sure, this sentiment could easily be backwards, ie it must be done AFTER to make sure the old one gets zapped. I have no clue, to be honest. I think your reboot was extremely wise.

Only problem is, I cannot transfer music from the disc back into SS, which is one of the reason I got the MD.

That's perfectly true and I would have told you that should you have asked. You need an RH1, sorry.

Thank you all for trying to help. I know you did the best you could with limited info.

Well perhaps someone out there suffered the same pain (or will do) and it helped them. I dunno.

Congrats!

I just got this working after some perseverance;

Sony MDS-JB980

WIndows 64-bit Home Premium

Put the download into the same file as the SonicStage software, remove your MD player from the Device Manager, Reboot computer, find MD player on device manager and update driver, note that the downloaded file was not visible for some reason but I had the update driver wizard automatically search the Sony file and it did it, now working seemingly perfectly!

Thanks a lot :)

Steve

THANK YOU guys!!!!

My N1 and NH1 working fine with Win 7-64bit!

SO glad, right after I found new batteries for the two units hehe

My only issue is that SB doesn't boot but it's OK I can download/upload which is a BIG improvement hehe :) and try to fix it later.

This issue may have been addressed above, but I'm not tech-savvy enough to follow a lot of the discussion. If the answer was addressed, please direct me back to the appropriate post.

I have an MZ-M200. My laptop is running Windows 7 Professional. Like the others, it will not recognize the device, indicates the driver is missing, does a search for drivers and comes up empty.

I tried downloading & installing 4.3 Ultimate, but get the same problem.

I didn't see the MZ-M200 driver among the specific ones listed on the download section. Is it hopeless getting the device to run on this computer, or is there a fix out there? If there is a driver available, please let me know where I can download it. I think I saw a comment in the thread that this model might be a problem.

When I got the computer, I was concerned because I had an old copy of Filemaker that I knew wouldn't run on System 7. When I asked the salesperson what to do, she had me upgrade to 7 Professional, saying that it would allow my version of Filemaker to run, which it does. I was hoping this might work the same with my MD, but no dice.

I got it specifically to transfer my MD files to a backup hard drive, since MD appears to be going away. It was recommended that I get this device (by Minidisc Access) to do this. It never occurred to me that it might not run on Windows 7. When I couldn't get it to recognize the product, I wrote Sony & they said it wasn't compatible with Windows 7. I use the device on my old laptop, running XP,where it works just fine, but would prefer to use my new one if possible. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Joel Cee

See the first download in the drivers topic (in our downloads area).

Specifically see post #81 in this thread.

Make sure you get rid of the existing Sonic Stage before you start, and use Avrin's from the download section (also prominently in view).

I downloaded the driver as indicated. I tried following the instructions shown in #81, but don't understand the part involving the Windows USB Installer. Nothing seemed to happen. I may have made a mistake in that I turned on Sonic Stage before I plugged the player in. When I did, on the view window, I got "ACCESS" with the white dots moving back and forth. But the device wasn't showing up in Sonic Stage and was unrecognized, indicating a missing driver, same problem I had before. I unplugged it, then plugged it back in, and then got nothing in the window. Neither MD option shows up in the Transfer window.

Also, do I need to do more than "Uninstall" to get rid of Sonic Stage? Some earlier posts indicated that some parts have to be removed manually, which I have no idea how to do. Actually, before I posted the first time, I'd downloaded Avrin's program. When I installed it, it automatically uninstalled the version of 4.3 and replaced it with Avrin's program. Let me know if there's more I need to do to get rid of the original 4.3.

I guess I need more explanation about how to install the drivers, and how to be sure I've totally remolved 4.3.

Thanks!

Joel Cee

I might let someone else who has actually done this comment now.

But one thing you might try is to put a SP (or LP2 or LP4) disk in the RH1.

The fact it says "Access" is extremely encouraging.

I feel sure you are nearly there. You're probably right that you need to install the driver BEFORE you start using SonicStage.

I went back through the process as directed, but the device still isn't recognized, and the troubleshooter says the driver is "missing". I assume the "ACCESS" process means the device is trying to find the driver, but it obviously isn't.

There are 3 files in the driver file:

netmd60 Security catalog

NETMD60 Setup information

NETMD60.sys System File

Does "unpacking" the file nedessarily install it? Or is there something more I need to do, since it apparently isn't recognized as installed?

"and you will have fun getting Windows to recognize that driver you just downloaded, by pointing the Windows USB installer at the new files (the file it will point at is netmd760.inf but it will need .cat and .sys in the same director when you do that)."

Do I need to get into Windows USB Installer to actually install the file? If so, how do I do that? Perhaps this is the key. Sorry if this seems ignorant, but I just don't know what it means to "point" the installer at the new files? I'm encouraged to know it sounds like I'm nearly there-sounds like I need help in actually installing these files.

And I'd appreciate anyone else can weigh in regarding what to do the be sure if old SS 4.3 is off the computer. I have done "Uninstall", but is there more I need to do?

Thanks!

Joel

Success! I hadn't been able to find the device in my Device Manager because I was looking at USB ports. When I checked again, it had the device listed under "Other Devices". I was able to "Update Driver" from there, and it works. Sows up in SS and I've been able to transfer files. Thanks so much! I'd really given up on this device ever working through my Windows 7 laptop. Now I don't have to drag out my old XP laptop to transfer files.

Joel Cee

In the same boat as you Joel, have tried to uninstall as many bits as possible to clear traces of previous drivers etc. but not tech savvy here. Cna get sonicstage to recognise player in hi-md mode but as soon as i chose net-md drop down, the bing-bong sounds of windows unmounting and remounting, comes up with the "device not connected" message. Have tried all the stuff am competent with as mentioned on here, but to no avail.

Current dilemma:

MZ-RH1

PC set up -running Windows Vista Home Premium 64 Bit -Sonicstage 4.3 (version from here), Drivers NETMD760 (From here)

This set-up allows access in Hi-MD mode but will not recognise in NetMD mode (pointed the drivers to correct folder), in device manager, the NET MD is shown in "Universal Serial Bus controllers" as NEt MD with yellow triangle/exclamation, with following message in properties, "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available."

when i attempt to point it at the NETMD760 folder it states that correct driver is already installed.

Also (more confusing)

running soncstage 4.3 , windows XP SP2 in Parallels on a Macbook pro, this recognises MZ-RH1 as a NETMD and allows transfer of music in NETMD.

However if i format disc in Hi-MD on unit, the message appear that the disc wasn't formatted via snicstage and can't be used for audio. If i try to format disc in sonicstage i get error messages.

So currently switching between 2 machines and a bit frustrated, am totally crappy at understanding the technical side of drivers and registry tomfoolery, and attempted to do this on PC only, as yet no joy.

Really wishing there was just one package of software that would instantly do it's job, although I know Sony software ids a minefield.

Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I downloaded the driver as indicated. I tried following the instructions shown in #81, but don't understand the part involving the Windows USB Installer. Nothing seemed to happen. I may have made a mistake in that I turned on Sonic Stage before I plugged the player in. When I did, on the view window, I got "ACCESS" with the white dots moving back and forth. But the device wasn't showing up in Sonic Stage and was unrecognized, indicating a missing driver, same problem I had before. I unplugged it, then plugged it back in, and then got nothing in the window. Neither MD option shows up in the Transfer window.

Also, do I need to do more than "Uninstall" to get rid of Sonic Stage? Some earlier posts indicated that some parts have to be removed manually, which I have no idea how to do. Actually, before I posted the first time, I'd downloaded Avrin's program. When I installed it, it automatically uninstalled the version of 4.3 and replaced it with Avrin's program. Let me know if there's more I need to do to get rid of the original 4.3.

I guess I need more explanation about how to install the drivers, and how to be sure I've totally remolved 4.3.

Thanks!

Joel Cee

It's almost time to edit and freeze the original thread, and ask people to start (or add to) a new one with questions like this. They all come down to the same few problems. Welcome to the Wild and Wacky World of Windows (i've sometimes wondered if there ought to be a site at www.wwwww.com).

Alancee, you are trying to solve two problems at once. They have a common origin, essentially.

As you have noticed you can get HiMD working on one setup but not NetMD, and vice versa.

This is because all HiMD units present as TWO DIFFERENT MACHINES, to the USB bus. With no disk in the unit, how it connects will depend on the "Disc Mode" (you will have to change the settings in the unit, my preference is NetMD because I do a lot of SP uploading - when I am doing live recording, it gets changed to HiMD, because that affects fresh disks). With a formatted disk in the RH1 (and this goes for other units too), the device mode will depend on whether that disk is HiMD or NetMD (including SP, a better name might be LoMD).

Attempts to switch mode from within SonicStage are (almost) bound to fail especially running a hybrid system like Windows-on-Mac or 32-hosted-on-64. So stick to one for the moment, and solve that (the Divide-and-Conquer philosophy!).

Your first problem (with W64 not working) has been solved for you neatly by Joel Cee. If that doesn't work for you, please come back here, and we will talk about that one problem. This is probably your best point of attack.

Your second problem (with Parallels failing to switch modes) is most likely because you have to decide what DISC MODE the drive is in before connecting to the PC's USB. I don't think you will ever get Mac to switch from one to the other while a disk is in the drive. It's bad enough even with Windows. USB is a minefield ("de facto" standards) and Sony and Microsoft did as well as they could without orphaning a whole lot of equipment that doesn't meet proper specifications of any kind.

At least you have both NetMD and HiMD working (albeit on different 'puters). Be happy!

Stephen

Cheers for the reply again

gonna have a few more cracks at sorting the Windows PC out, maybe even dual boot with XP. Have had MD recorders for a while now, 13 or more years and Sony's software has always been problematic.

It's almost time to edit and freeze the original thread, and ask people to start (or add to) a new one with questions like this. They all come down to the same few problems. Welcome to the Wild and Wacky World of Windows (i've sometimes wondered if there ought to be a site at www.wwwww.com).

Alancee, you are trying to solve two problems at once. They have a common origin, essentially.

As you have noticed you can get HiMD working on one setup but not NetMD, and vice versa.

This is because all HiMD units present as TWO DIFFERENT MACHINES, to the USB bus. With no disk in the unit, how it connects will depend on the "Disc Mode" (you will have to change the settings in the unit, my preference is NetMD because I do a lot of SP uploading - when I am doing live recording, it gets changed to HiMD, because that affects fresh disks). With a formatted disk in the RH1 (and this goes for other units too), the device mode will depend on whether that disk is HiMD or NetMD (including SP, a better name might be LoMD).

Attempts to switch mode from within SonicStage are (almost) bound to fail especially running a hybrid system like Windows-on-Mac or 32-hosted-on-64. So stick to one for the moment, and solve that (the Divide-and-Conquer philosophy!).

Your first problem (with W64 not working) has been solved for you neatly by Joel Cee. If that doesn't work for you, please come back here, and we will talk about that one problem. This is probably your best point of attack.

Your second problem (with Parallels failing to switch modes) is most likely because you have to decide what DISC MODE the drive is in before connecting to the PC's USB. I don't think you will ever get Mac to switch from one to the other while a disk is in the drive. It's bad enough even with Windows. USB is a minefield ("de facto" standards) and Sony and Microsoft did as well as they could without orphaning a whole lot of equipment that doesn't meet proper specifications of any kind.

At least you have both NetMD and HiMD working (albeit on different 'puters). Be happy!

Stephen

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, I'm not sure if anyone is still having trouble with this issue but I created a quick video tutorial on installing the driver that works with Windows 7 64-bit. The NETMD760.inf file was updated with Azureal's updated file listed in the second page of this topic.

Also just wanted to note that my version of Sonic Stage was just the normal version you get from esupport.sony.com, not the Ultimate modified version featured on minidisc.org or these forums.

Hope it somewhat helps.

The NETMD760.inf file was updated with Azureal's updated file listed in the second page of this topic.

No need, the updated file is available as a download in the downloads section.

But I will probably add another link to your video in the download section.

Thanks

No need, the updated file is available as a download in the downloads section.

But I will probably add another link to your video in the download section.

Thanks

I wasn't quite sure if someone had already posted it or not, but I'm assuming there's another thread for this. Thanks for letting me know, just trying to help.

• 2 months later...

ok these drivers are from the new x-app application it works for me

running netmd on windows 7 x64

hope it helps u

http://www.mediafire...xy48g0qwp05u59d

Hi

found this when I was searching in despair for a way to use my Net MD Walkman NZ510 on my new Notebook with Windows7 home 64bit. I've downloaded the driver and unpacked it, but what then? In my device manager the player is recognized but need a driver so I put in the folder where the downloaded driver is but wouldn't recognized. I've seen just that others have modified the inf file but I don't know what lines to modify and where to save after. Is it going into the Windows/system32/driverstore folder? Sorry that I'm just a user with no much knowledge of these driver things.

Hope you can help me, many thanks in advance!

• 2 months later...

Hi

I watch this tutorial, and unfortunatly when i plug my Net MD nothing happen...it's like if i plug nothing. Therefore i haven't an unknow device usb on device manager, so i can't used the drivers for windows 7 64bits ( ).

My OS: 7 ultimate 64bits with Sonic Stage ultimate 4.3

MD : MZ-N910

Many thanks

Did you actually install the driver file from the downloads, first? If you already put Sony's version for W64 (with no N910 mentioned) you will be out of luck.

Note that this is a driver for Native 64 bits, NOT the setup for the virtual XP which you can install on Ultimate edition of Windows..

PS. "Ultimate" referring to SonicStage has NOTHING whatsoever to do with Windows "Ultimate".

The only thing i install is sonic stage 4.3. Like i said i can't install drivers because my computer won't detect the MD, and i haven't install virtual machine.

At 43 seconds of tutorial movies you can see an unspecified device (net md). My computer NEVER show this so i can't install the correct driver, can i ?

I can launch sonic stage, and my MD display PC-->MD when i plug usb cable

So my only real problem is how can i have this unspecified device for intall the correct driver like in the tutorial.

I hope it's more clear now and you understand my problem

Many thanks for your quickly answer

All I can suggest is prove that it's not the hardware that's wrong, and go back to XP. If that works, you did something wrong - this stuff WORKS.

But you probably need to install the 64-bit driver before SonicStage. SonicStage does install a bunch of drivers, or at least sets things up so that they will install automatically. The ones it installed (or placed on the hard disk, at least) will lead you down a false path.

It may be as simple as finding the NetMD driver installed and causing a "driver update" from Device Manager. Essentially, it looks as if you may have to REMOVE something put there by SonicStage.

I want to try install the drivers but i don't understand how, if a do a rightclick-> intall i have a message error ( the inf file are you selected doesn't support this method ) and there are no .exe so how can i do this ? on device manager i never see my MD so i can't undate my driver

You have to turn on "hidden" devices in Device Manager.

Look for instructions. Then see if there are some "rogue" NetMD drivers installed (in the USB section) that you cannot see. They all need to be removed.

If that doesn't work, you have some kind of weird hardware problem like a bad cable, or a mismatch of USB speed.

I removed all "rogue" drivers usb and i reboot my computer. I plug my MD and nothing happen again no rogue device add on device manager. I begin to be short of option everything i try failled :(

And my cable is okay, it's work with my md on another computer maybe like you said it's a mismatch of USB speed.

You have a solution for that ?