NW-Exxx Volume Hack

Rate this question

7seas

Question

Hi all,

I've got a NW-E005.

I've read about volume hacks for other sony players such as NW-A or HD, but has anybody find out one for the NW-exxx series?

BTW : my player has updated firmware version v2.00

Edited by 7seas

A volume hack would probably only be useful for European units, which are restricted due to a European Union legislation.

So, does anyone know what the output of the European NW-E005 etc is, there's no indication in the manual's specification section...?

Guest Stuge

So, does anyone know what the output of the European NW-E005 etc is, there's no indication in the manual's specification section...?

Output of European Network walkmans is 2.5mw(Max)(for Left & Right ears) Instead of 5mW(Max)

you forgot to mention that HOLD should be ON

I did find the FR region code in test mode. If somehow we can manage to change this to another available regioncode through firmware hacking or whatever, maybe the volume limitation will be deactivated.

Edited by Kobazz

I also once get in test mode using those keys , but now can't get in again. Is there an exactly sequence of buttons u should use and how did u get to this combination? Just luck or something by trying?I think were close to the final unlock.

hold PLAY+MODE while in HOLD than press reset while holding the other two buttons. Release reset button and voila

Please note that you can shift options. When HOLD is ON, every button stands for an option and when HOLD is OFF you have another set of options.

Nevertheless I can't find any Volume option.

thank you for the combination, however, how do i exit the test mode? simply by reset or another combination??

Simply by reset.... that's how i did it :D

Does someone inside of this forum know something new about the service manual ?? Did someone get it ??

-I can't wait to find out about the volume crack :blink:

-please excuse me, my english isn't perfect because i'm from germany :sad:

OSI

Hi all. I bought the NW-E005 just recently. Since 1 GB isn't enough I replace that way my NW-E99. Well... the sound of the NW-E99 is much mor better (thanks to the bass function). I also try to access the test mode by using HOLD ON, then pressing play, mode and RESET. Also if I do that for seconds (all three + HOLD simultaneously) the device doesn't enter the test mode. On the other side I'm happy with the volume level... it's loud enough...

Now to my point of interest. How can I change the customer settings for the equalizer? When I enter the EQ and select custom the

- Play - brings me back to the current song

- mode - brings me one menu levell up, means to Equalizer

- Volume Control - adjust the volume

- Switch left/right - toggle between EQ presettings

Well reset does a reset...is there any specific button combination required????

Would be great to have help on that.

Brgds,

KeenKnight

Hi all. I bought the NW-E005 just recently. Since 1 GB isn't enough I replace that way my NW-E99. Well... the sound of the NW-E99 is much mor better (thanks to the bass function). I also try to access the test mode by using HOLD ON, then pressing play, mode and RESET. Also if I do that for seconds (all three + HOLD simultaneously) the device doesn't enter the test mode. On the other side I'm happy with the volume level... it's loud enough...

Now to my point of interest. How can I change the customer settings for the equalizer? When I enter the EQ and select custom the

- Play - brings me back to the current song

- mode - brings me one menu levell up, means to Equalizer

- Volume Control - adjust the volume

- Switch left/right - toggle between EQ presettings

Well reset does a reset...is there any specific button combination required????

Would be great to have help on that.

Brgds,

KeenKnight

The steps are: Menu --> advanced menu --> sound --> custom EQ (trying to remember out of my head, but i think that's the one, and if there isn't a custom EQ option, then scroll around the different soundoptions, one of em is the one you need ;) ) The option you where in is the choice of the build-in equalizers: bass, jazz, ... and offcourse the custom one).

First of all... thanks to the description regarding the equalizer!

Now another question to the NW-E005:

In Sonic Stage I can create Playlists, means I can put in songs of different bands. :D

So i created a playlist for Metal, Chillout and Gothic..... :D

But on my NW-E005 I can only sort by albums, artist or artist/Album.... :sad: but no playlist! My old NW-E99 is having a group selection where you can exactly select groups (in my case this would be Metal, Chillout or Gothic)

Has someone an idea how I can sort the music regarding playlists on my NW-E005? A possibility would be to edit the MP3 tag of all files and give them all the same album and artist name... but thats a lot of work... :sad:

Would be great if someone has a suggestion! :wave:

Cheers in advance! :wave:

hi. it seems impossible to create a playlist according to pop, rock, latin etc... you can just create playlist by giving name.

for ex: my favorites

1 desde que llegaste a mi

2 ahora quien

3... etc...

it is not possible to create such like pop rock etc...

i ll ask you a question to. what about volume hack?

2: is it normal to hear a slightly hiss sound while transitions of songs? (nw-e00x)

saludos :)

and it is possible to create according to what you name your playlist. but it is very boring. becuz, when you edit mp3 tags, sonicstage automatically edit the tags of your songs in your computer.

Edited by mariposa_traicionera

Well supposing a person adept at flash memory programming and computer programming were to have a go at creating a hack for it and publishing it for a small fee, would anybody be interested? I know I would, provided it wasnt too expensive. Is this even doable?

I have noticed recently that after updating the firmware to version 2.0, when setting preset volume levels, going from mid to high (assuming high is set to be 30) makes the volume momentarily louder that what 30 would be sometimes, but then it drops back down. That tells me that the amplifier in the walkman is capable of a higher sound pressure level. I think the walkamn only needs a small volume boost to be adequate. Its fine in closed quarters but on a bus or noisy street it just doesnt cut the mustard. Its not a sit-at-home-man, its a walkman. Therefore I make the assumption that you should be able to go out and about and hear your music properly in normal conditions. Have sony lost the idea of sound quality? Cause adequate volume is an instrumental part of sound quality. Im a sound engineer, and Im complaining!! Bad call, Sony. :sad:

Hey All!

I'm new here and just got the NW-E507... so far, it's working like a charm (except for that stupid bleeping SonicStage software... doesn't like to refresh the information about what CD is in the drive if I just ripped a few tracks from one disc and then put another disc in). But, I'm stuck with the same problem that everyone else seems to have... the little bugger doesn't have the output power that I would like. I'm not expecting iPod-volume levels or to be able to put on a Pink Floyd concert using just my little NW-E507, but I would think it could power my Sony MDR-V250 studio monitor headphones. My MiniDisc player has the same problem (not much output power).

The NW-E507 was bought here in the US, so I wouldn't think it would be hard-coded with a volume limitation, but the volume only goes up to 31 (which seems kinda an odd number for a volume indicator to go up to).

So, I guess what I'm asking is if it would be hard to reverse engineer (if I can speak those words here) the firmware update (not sure how you'd accomplish such a thing, or even if the volume is being limited by the firmware, but it's possible).

Thanks for any help anyone can lend with this problem (if it is a problem).

i will never buy a sony product again, i just cannot listen to music while i m outside, sh*t so angry about this situation after spending money for nothing. please do not buy any sony mp3 players.

Maybe your volume was set to 0 silly? my sony mp3 is properly and works fine while outside, either you volume was set to 0 OR your headphones not working=D!

No need to talk crap towards sony when you know little=[ and without facts!

i will never buy a sony product again, i just cannot listen to music while i m outside, sh*t so angry about this situation after spending money for nothing. please do not buy any sony mp3 players.

uhm if you are in europe, then i believe all mp3 players have this problem with sound output, not just sony.

Firstly I've got to say that the volume on the nw exxx is only just too quiet for me. If I could only raise the volume by a few notches I'd be so happy.

By playing music at 30 tho, it seems that some songs suffer and the walkman supresses some parts eg bass, or the crowd level in live recordings. I've tried raising the EQ, but this only worsens the problem and distorts the sound into the bargain!

So is anyone the wiser to solving this ongoing puzzle about unlocking the volume limit?

Thx

Wow.. I enable AVLS so I never go above 16. That way, I get used to low volumes, and 16 sounds really loud. That is the best way: to make your ears adjust to volume level, that way you don't damage your ear drums.

Yeah, half my friends have their Ipods (I haven't seen one with a walkman) up at levels that i can hear quite a distance away.

Usually my walkman never goes above the 14 mark, which is usually when i'm outside walking.

This generation might grow up to be deaf in their early 30's if we listen to music at full blast ^^;

Lol did u read the User's Guide? In mine there it is You may turn off AVLS via menu

Menu>Advanced Menu>Sound>AVLS>On/Off

so why there is any hack needed here?

Incorrect! lol. :lol: AVLS has nothing to do with the reduced volume limit of European models which the volume hack will remedy.

Does anybody know if the service manual has been released for the Exxx model yet?

There must be a way to "decap" the volume. I've read on other pages that Sony wouldn't disclose ways of unlocking the volume even if they knew how, as they could be sued if someone damaged their hearing because of it.

As service manuals exist for other models, that show the unlock function, when will this one be available? How long does it normally take?

Thanx

Unfortunately I don't think there will ever be a volume hack for any of the flash players, going on past experience. Volume hacks only seem to apply to the hdd players like the hd-1-5 and a-1000/1200/3000 players, european models only.