NW-Exxx Volume Hack

Rate this question

7seas

Question

Hi all,

I've got a NW-E005.

I've read about volume hacks for other sony players such as NW-A or HD, but has anybody find out one for the NW-exxx series?

BTW : my player has updated firmware version v2.00

Edited by 7seas

I'm having a problem with my E-507 in which the sound is too loud. It sounds like I'm listening to the music at a volume that is just too high for the headphones to handle and it's all muddled and blurry. I was wondering if it was a software issue but the FM tuner sounds the same way. I tried turning the AVLS on but that didn't help. I tried resetting the player to the factory specifications but that didn't help either. Has anyone else had this problem? could it be a loose headphone connection or something?

I have the headphones that came with the unit, a pair of Sony wrap-around headphones (MDR-G42), and a pair of Sennheiser headphones that I can't get to at the moment. You can hear the "problem" at all volume levels and with each headphone unit. I'm so bummed about this because it worked fine last week and suddenly today it sounds like this. I thought maybe it was software related so I installed Sonicstage 4.0 on my laptop but the player still sounds like that. I tried different transfer settings and even transferring the songs as mp3's instead of atrac files but nothing has worked. According to Sony's website it'll be about $106 to get it repaired and my wife only paid $45 for the player (it was a Christmas present). :sad:

I'm watching two auctions on ebay right now and I hope I win one of them. If not, as a backup I applied for a sony card this morning to get that $150 credit they're doing and I'll get one of the 8GB units from them for $50.

Ok,So Repairing it is out of question.

8GB player is NW-1200??

Keep this in mind that NW-A1200 is a Hard disk player & not a flash based player like Exx series

You can also go with flash based player NW-S7xx series (If you can live with 1gb or 2gb space )

well, the 8GB would be after the $150 credit so it's effectively $50, not really $50. And as an alternative I was looking at getting one of the 2GB models + some snazzy headphones instead because with the $150 credit it would only be $50 total again.

I'm trying to take the e507 apart right now to look for loose wiring but I can't get the knob off. I have the service manual but it's not really helping...it just says to pull it off but I can't get to the two clips to do so.

hello! i'm new from atrac life, there isn't any news for the nw-005 service manual? i need to unlock the EU volume audio limit and I think is only a resistance that must be cutted from PCB, like olds cd-mp3 players (d-ne300) probably also the schematics only of the device could be helpful to solve the problem...

can you help me?

thank's

(sorry I'm italian and my english couldn't be perfect) :)

hav used mp3gain to get a little more 'omph' :blink: out of an mp3 before transfering.. not a hack, but perhaps a workaround at the mo http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/ ... who sets this flamin eu legislation anyways :excl: havent came accross 'restricted' mp3 players in the uk b4, 1 thing ive also noticed is that sonys fones also have had many complaints wrt volume issues hhhmmm :unsure:

This volume limit is in ALL players sold in europe.. not just sony! It is the law, sony doesn't have a choice.

Perhaps this should be but my also actual TREKSTOR cexbrax is much louder than my NW-E003.

For me the volume is okay (using i-ear) - perhaps the other have already damaged ears because of the use of non-limited volume up to now? ;o)

Is it not covered by warranty? And surely you have to pay this credit back at some point? The $150 is not a free give-away, you'll need to repay it at a later date so the new player wouldn't really be $50.

sorry for the 7 month delay. :)

the way it worked was that I bought the player for $200 and then was issued a $150 credit on the card, reducing what I had to pay back to $50. Nice deal.

as for the warranty, no the player wasn't covered. It was going to be almost $110 to fix the player. Seeing as it was possible to get the other unit for $50, there was no point in getting it fixed.

also, I'm still having this problem and have no idea what it could be. I noticed that the volume problem is even affecting the files when I play them in SonicStage so it could be a software issue except that it's happening to every computer I install the software on so it can't be software (plus no one else is having this problem).