SonicStage 4.0 "cannot use" my NW-HD3

Rate this topic

Mr Bass Man

I upgraded my SS to 4.0CP recently, and tonight I wanted to to dump some mp3 files onto my NW-HD3 for evaluation.

(I am more of a MD user, btw ...)

Connecting up the HD3 I was greeted by the following message :-

errmsg1.png

Connecting the same unit to a different computer with SS v 3.2 is fine.

Anyone any ideas?

Surely this is not a DRM issue? :unsure:

Couple things you can try:

1. Which region of SS3.2 you have? Try getting the same SS4.0 from the same region of your SS3.2.

2. Use SS4.0 Japanese or Asia pacific version. Downside is you loose the connect store, and you probably won't be able to use tracks you purchased from the connect store previously.

It's kinda hit & miss.

I have the same problem... but see what happened

1. SonicStage 3.4 worked fine with my hd5.

2. Installed SonicStage 4.0 and it gave my that error message.

3. I didn't format the disc or anything, simply closed the program and...

4. Uninstalled Sonicstage 4.0

5. Installed Sonicstage 3.4 again

6. Now 3.4 also gives me the same error. WHAT ABOUT THAT !?

Solution:

I gave up and closed everything. Whatever! :blink:

Guest Stuge

Mr Bass Man,

Welcome to AtracLife !

Now in any case you will have to format your HD3 & you will again need to tranfer all the songs again via SonicStage or M3FM

Hey people!

I managed to get a workaround to this situation.

The OMGAUDIO files and directories that I had were somewhat different that the one that Sonicstage (SS) 4.0 generates.

What I did was to remane my existing OMGAUDIO to OMGAUDIO_ (creating a backup)

And then started SS. The device now appeared correctly and I transfered some tracks to it, in no problem.

After that I closed SS and went to the newly created OMGAUDIO and found out some new files... (That I did never seen during GYM development):

SRCIDLST.BAK

SRCIDLST.DAT

and a new directory (with nothing inside):

30GRCT

So I went back to my OMGAUDIO_ (the backed up) and copied those two files into it and created the 30GRCT directory.

I deleted OMGAUDIO (the one created by sonicstage), and renamed OMGAUDIO_ back to OMGAUDIO.

Started SS and not it works :lol::blink:

Come on... why don't they include some upgrading capabilities in the software. :mellow:

Hope this method works for other people.

EDIT: I fu**ed up all my music now, the player says SYSTEM FILE ERROR ... this doens't work :(

Thanks for all the posters, fellow contributors (I know some of you from mindisc.org already ...)

The suggestion about region may have some merit, but as I run three different computers (actually the 3.2 I referred to and the 4.0CP giving the error message are on the same physical machine but dual-booted with W98SE and WinXP Pro) and I have a mixture of downloads from the internet via links on minidisc.org and the standalone downloader from that same source, I am not too sure which region/version is what (is there a good way to tell?)

Although the HD3 is less than 5% full, I am NOT going to reformat yet, as it would seem to be unnecessary as it works fine with 3.2, although I know for sure that some of the material was ripped from my laptop, which was running 3.4.

When the laptop comes home from work I will see if it works with the HD3, and as it has since been upgraded to 4.0CP from 3.4 via the same route as my XP desktop machine, the result will be of interest.

BTW I spotted the posting on the "4.0 bugs" thread after I posted my problem, sorry about that.

I'll post here any progress I happen to make, if any.

Thanks again

[P.S. I guess there are technical people from Sony who monitor this forum for feedback on problems with their products ...]

Edited by Mr Bass Man

Ok... by deleting some files (don't ask me what) and transfering some data to the device using MP3FM i was able to put my current library in the hd5 running with sonic stage 4.0. I had to retransfer all my atrac files to the device.

Now everything working.

What a messy upgrade...

Hei all!!!

Has someone the same problem:

Nearly all of my atrac files (about 80%) cannot be played in SS 4.0 anymore. All worked fine with SS3.4.

There was no copy protection.

I think i have to rip all my cds again....

I hab the same problem with this "inizialize your HD5" at the sony notebook of my girlfriend. Also SS 4.0 installed there. Now i connected my HD5 on my Notebook also with SS 4.0 and it works except the corrupted files.

Well thats the way it is.

Tom

Guest Stuge

Hei all!!!

Has someone the same problem:

Nearly all of my atrac files (about 80%) cannot be played in SS 4.0 anymore. All worked fine with SS3.4.

There was no copy protection.

I think i have to rip all my cds again....

I hab the same problem with this "inizialize your HD5" at the sony notebook of my girlfriend. Also SS 4.0 installed there. Now i connected my HD5 on my Notebook also with SS 4.0 and it works except the corrupted files.

Well thats the way it is.

Tom

No, i didn`t face that problem but always back up your data using SOnicStage Back up tool before upgrading

Why do ATRAC/Sony enthusiasts have to suffer the software so badly?

First the unit worked fine on my laptop running WinXP Pro/SS 4.0.

Then I left it connected to my main machine for a few hours, and next thing I notice is that it cannot play the ATRAC tracks on the unit itself (DRM issue?), but only when connected to my main machinen (Win98SE/SS3.2). It can play the only MP3 album on it fine?

So I thought "what the heck" and formatted the unit and now it works fine with my main machine running WinXP Pro/SS 4.0 but refuses to work with the same machine's Win98SE (dual boot) and SS3.2, but refused to play as a standalone an MP3 file transferred under SS4.0.

This appears to be a DRM issue, but can anyone see any logic with any of this?

My younger son with his Creative Zen Micro never has any such problem with that.

Grrrrrrrrrrrr ................. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Surely for downloading and playback, DRM shouldn't be an issue, arguably only if uploading to a different machine (NetMD users have had this to deal with for years)

Guest Stuge

This appears to be a DRM issue, but can anyone see any logic with any of this?

There is no logic behind it .I haven`t faced this problem with SonicStage Asia Pacific version .

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone that has problems with reformating, what I found to work the best is to go into the files inside of omgaudio and copy out all the folders and .bak and .dat files, copy them to your local hard drive. Make sure that your device is now clean and then register it with SS and then un plug it and turn off SS. Then put all the files back while SS is off then unplug again then load up SS. When I did this correctly no more messages came up for me.

Hope this helps,

Ken

Guest Stuge

Everyone that has problems with reformating, what I found to work the best is to go into the files inside of omgaudio and copy out all the folders and .bak and .dat files, copy them to your local hard drive. Make sure that your device is now clean and then register it with SS and then un plug it and turn off SS. Then put all the files back while SS is off then unplug again then load up SS. When I did this correctly no more messages came up for me.

Hope this helps,

Ken

But were you able to playback music files from unit itself ?

Mr Bass Man,

Welcome to AtracLife !

Now in any case you will have to format your HD3 & you will again need to tranfer all the songs again via SonicStage or M3FM

...don't you love Sony ??!?!?!? :lol::D:)B)

Hope this helps,

Ken

I agree with Ken on this one. This is process can save alot of headache . . . when it works.

PS - I have made several posts about this on several problems. Do a SEARCH to find - type database to narrow the search