Comparison of different versions of ATRAC

Rate this topic

tech_guy

Hello everyone!

This is my first post.

I am trying to buy a new minidisc portable (my first one ever) from ebay. There are some minidiscs like the N510 which come with ATRAC type-R, and others like the R700 which come with an older version, the 4.5

Will I really listen to any difference?

Should I pay more and get a player/recorder that has a type-r atrac?

I'm only interested in SP recording so i'm not talking about the atrac3

What do you think?

Hello everyone!

This is my first post.

I am trying to buy a new minidisc portable (my first one ever) from ebay. There are some minidiscs like the N510 which come with ATRAC type-R, and others like the R700 which come with an older version, the 4.5

Will I really listen to any difference?

Should I pay more and get a player/recorder that has a type-r atrac?

I'm only interested in SP recording so i'm not talking about the atrac3

What do you think?

What I think - opinions vary on this subject - is that since you don't expect to use LP mode, then try to find one with TYPE R ATRAC. I think it sounds noticeably better than 4.5 and that the few $ more it may cost you is worth it. If you are inclined to think "Hmmm...maybe someday I might just want to check out LP mode," then you might even want to consider looking for a unit with Type S. I used the MZ-R500 for years (4.5 I think) and thought it sounded just fine - until I acquired the Type S MZ-DN430 which, although perhaps a bit less full-featured than the MZ-R*00 series, was a distinct upgrade in SQ for both SP and LP modes. (Type S includes Type R.)

Welcome and good luck!

I have one MZ-N510 got also from eBay for 33 euros. I like it. But you make one error, it is type S, not type R...

http://www.minidisc....ny_MZ-N510.html

I know that it is type S, but from what I've read, type S includes type R, and type R is used in SP mode, while type S in LP modes only.

Yes, I know it sounds complicated, but that's what I've read...

:-)

How speedy you are, from my "life" here on this forum, I did not got a guy answer that fast. thanks for that. Anyway this kind unit - the MZ-R510 - is good for sound AND GIVE THE BEST YOU CAN GET FROM MD SOUND FOR SP RECORDING. AND LP LISTENING.

My next step will be to come back from France where I will be this Christmas then listening my records done with this little unit.. on my got but not seen yet Sony deck JA555ES AND also my JB980 also got but not seen (for 50 euros, incredible) now from a french audiophile forum.