Ni-MH Batteries.

Rate this topic

MD4ME

I had good results from the GP batteries that came with my charger. There's a guy who has some for sale here

Having said that, however, I think the newest ones are probably from Vapex, there's a dealer in Australia here. However they don't seem to have them at the moment, probably a glitch (Christmas hols?) I have seen before with Ebay stores where a merchant with thousands of items abruptly disappears or loses all stock. Check them again in a day or so.

But whether or not a given battery can get a decent charge seems to be a function of how well adjusted is the unit charging it (or how good the charger is). This is part of the "electrical adjustments" in every MD service manual, and so far every single unit I have messed with has needed to have the values increased. When I increased them to spec, proper charging took place. It's not a bad idea to figure out which unit currently (unintended pun!) does the best job and use it for charging when ever you can.

The sole exception was my MZ-R91 which has always charged (and even "woken up") batteries from when I first had it. There are reports the MZ-NH3D is similar for Li Ion, maybe something not unrelated to both units being manufactured in Japan.

Stephen

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestions, the one guy was selling used batteries so i'll try a Vapex one.

I tend to use my old MZ-R55 for charging the gumstick batteries, its noticeable that whilst a battery might register being half charged in the MZ-R55, it barely powers up the MZ-R909 that i've got !

Great. Now I don't think that any one brand is probably much different from any other, but I don't think these are absolutely the best, just probably the newest-manufactured. I think the characteristics of charging (repeating myself here) are mostly down to how the electronics is adjusted.

Happy New Year to one and all.

Stephen

• 3 weeks later...

http://cgi.ebay.com/NH-14WM-Chewing-Gum-Battery-SONY-MD-MZ-N1-N10-N510-/320612789013?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item4aa602eb15

I bought this brand Pisen, totally useless, I bought 4, 4 out of 4 does not work. The sony charger won't charge the battery or recognize the battery

I need a few NH-14WM batteries. The Pisen & the VapexTech batteries are both made in China. So as of now, I don't know what to do.

I can buy VapexTech, but the dealer told me this:

For your information, the manufacturer have the following advice or recommendation:-

If you are using the batteries within the CD Player or ipod or mp3 ..etc, the build-in charger does not charge the batteries properly. The Built-In Charger in the cd-player or ipod cannot detect the batteries properly. They does not work or charge the batteries fully.

Please charge the batteries with a regular NIMH or NiCD batteries charger.

There will be no problems to charge with AA or AAA regular batteries Charger to charge this 1450M batteries.

- vapextech_batteries

===================================

so it sounds like I need to buy a charger.

But if I buy 4 battery and a charger, I can get a new Sony CD player for $39, except that CD player is thick, my CD player, which plays fine, is very thin.

For those who bought vaportech, how many of you have to buy a separate charger? Or does it charge with the build in charger from Sony? And does the battery work 1 way or the other?

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item4aa602eb15

I bought this brand Pisen, totally useless, I bought 4, 4 out of 4 does not work. The sony charger won't charge the battery or recognize the battery

Interesting comment. I recently purchased one single Pisen brand battery for evaluation, although not from this particular seller it was through eBay and from Hong Kong:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270564954670&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:GB:1123

I was not expecting much, but was pleasantly surprised. The quoted capacity was 1350mAh. I tested the battery out over several charge/discharge cycles to 1380mAh. I also did a full charge and left the battery for several days prior to discharging, to evaluate retention. Again, pleasantly surprised as the battery still came out at 1350mAh.

I used the same MZ-E510 to charge this battery on each succesive cycle, so I have just taken it out to test again on several other units. So far an R900, N710, R55 and RH10 have all happily accepted the battery and have started charging fine. Although it would obviously take a while to see if every unit charged the battery to the same maximum capacity.

Perhaps you got a duff batch? Or, ironically, are the batteries you purchased not 'genuine' Pisen but fakes? If Sony have finally clamped down on the widespread faking of their NH-14WM batteries, perhaps the forgers have turned their attention to another manufacturer. Of course it also possible that the Pisen quality control is so bad, a batch of useless batteries can easily get through their QC department.

Jim

sometimes in the sony batteries there is some of the plastic cut away on the battery so the sony unit can only charge the sony battery. look at the plastic wrap around the old battery and compare it with the new not recognized batteries and if they are different cut away the plastic on the new ones to match the sony batteries.

Is(n't) this a case of WYPFIWYG? (note the prices of the two items!)

Stephen

No, he has two way to sell that item. He go w/ $6.99 or so w/ shipping included, or $1 +5.99 shipping, same difference.

Interesting comment. I recently purchased one single Pisen brand battery for evaluation, although not from this particular seller it was through eBay and from Hong Kong:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270564954670&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:GB:1123

I was not expecting much, but was pleasantly surprised. The quoted capacity was 1350mAh. I tested the battery out over several charge/discharge cycles to 1380mAh. I also did a full charge and left the battery for several days prior to discharging, to evaluate retention. Again, pleasantly surprised as the battery still came out at 1350mAh.

that's strange. First of all, when you click the above link, and that guy's feedback, he has 111 negative feedback just in past 30 days, and 371 negative feedbacks in past 6 mth.

I think it's the same guy. They use more than 1 login ID.

IF I see my guys' rating, in which a no. of other buyers ALSO said their batteries doesn't work, I won't even buy it from him

and the funny thing is, when the item arrives, I did give him a +ve rating, as I never expect the battery to fail.

==========

When your battery arrives, is it at least partly charge, as I don't expect the battery to be totally drained. As I connect any of the 4 battery to the CD player, totally dead

sometimes in the sony batteries there is some of the plastic cut away on the battery so the sony unit can only charge the sony battery. look at the plastic wrap around the old battery and compare it with the new not recognized batteries and if they are different cut away the plastic on the new ones to match the sony batteries.

I can't believe it. That's it. That little bit of plastic at the top is all the trick there is. Now it's charging. Thank you very much