Can MD/Hi-MD/iPod all get along?

Rate this topic

BIGHMW

Hey guys,

I own both Sony and Apple players, and I was wondering if it is possible (through SonicStage CP 4.2) to transfer files from my collection of Hi-MDs, all cnverted to 64k ATRAC3plus, and convert them all to 64k MP3 files after uploading the Hi-MD content to SS, so I can use them with iTunes in its "drag-&-drop" style?

Or did Sony make SonicStage so proprietary that I could never get them off SonicStage for use with iTunes no matter how I convert them? I have had to go through the (pre SS 3.4/MZ-RH1) B.S. of burning CDs of all of my finished MD mixes, something my MZ-RH1 relieved me of doing, therfore cutting time in half, before uploading those for use with iTunes and I was just wondering if I can upload either MD or Hi-MD files and then use SS t convert from 64k ATRAC3plus to 64k MP3 so I can use them on iTunes to then upload onto my nano 6G?

It would save me the wasted time of having to rip CDs (in real time) of all of my finished MD mix discs, just like I had when I used my NW-HD5 or my arsenal of Hi-MD Walkmen (I still own them).

tch.... you definitely don't want 64kbps MP3 from Atrac3+, the codec is AT LEAST twice as good. If you run the provided Sony MP3 conversion tool I bet you get (their default of) 128k MP3.

Other than that, you can make Windows Media Player work with ATRAC files to manage and play them. Not very hard. Whether WMP can then transfer to Apple, I have no clue. Hopefully it figures out some sort of autoconvert, that's what happens with the later Sony Walkmen, I believe.

tch.... you definitely don't want 64kbps MP3 from Atrac3+, the codec is AT LEAST twice as good. If you run the provided Sony MP3 conversion tool I bet you get (their default of) 128k MP3.

Other than that, you can make Windows Media Player work with ATRAC files to manage and play them. Not very hard. Whether WMP can then transfer to Apple, I have no clue. Hopefully it figures out some sort of autoconvert, that's what happens with the later Sony Walkmen, I believe.

Thanks Steve, in that case, would I be able to eventually convert my master MD's (after uploading them straight and unconverted to SS CP 4.2 using my MZ-RH1, like I used to do to eventually use them on my NW-HD5) to 64kbps MP3 to use on my nano through iTunes? It would save me the headache and wasted time of having to burn CDs of all of my MD mixdiscs (over 100 of them, either 75+ minute super-compilations or vinyl recorded onto MD, all in SP mode of course)

In other words, I don't want to finish recording my final 75+ minute mixdisc only to then have to waste yet another 75+ minutes burning a CD of it afterwards, I just want to know if there is some software I can use to convert from ATRAC SP in SS to 64kbps MP3 to eventually use on iTunes and still not have any compatibility issues.

My idea:

MD ATRAC SP > rip to SS CP 4.2 straight > covert to 64kbps MP3 in SS > transfer to iTunes > drag and drop on to my nano

I don't understand why you would rip beautiful SP down to 64kbps. And not even 64kbpos Atrac3+, at that.

Transcodings like this usually result in horrible quality. Try it out and see, is all I can suggest.

I already have done 64kbps Atrac3plus and I agree, in fact, I did do a head-to-head iPod vs. Hi-MD comparison a few weeks ago, and indeed 64kbps Atrac3plus sounds so much better than 64kbps MP3.

The only reason I even got a damn iPod nano 6G in the first place was a mere matter of convenience, I can clip 16GB worth of files onto my shirt collar, hook up a FiiO L3 LOD-to-mini jack to a FiiO E5 headphone amp and have it all at my disposal and all on my shirt collar to use any IEM's or cans of any impedence up to 300 ohms that I want instead of having a 20GB brick with my RM-MC40ELK remote and being able to only use either IEM's or buds becuase it only generates a very weak 5 mW from its internal amp. I even tried to use the E5 amp with my 40ELK and the remote sets the unit to the default headphone out instead on line out, you can't use both a remote and line out together on the HD5, and since the nano is the same size as the 40ELK remote, and can handle 16GB on its own in its tiny form factor, it made an even more attractive draw.

Don't get me wrong Steve, I still use good-old MiniDisc SP stereo for everything else, including in both my rides, in HMW Studio One, recording LIVE shows, and at home as well. I would never trade any of that in for having to rely exclusively on an iPod for being the "be-all-end-all which does everything" as opposed to a mere matter of portability, something that would be compromised if I had to use Hi-MD or an HD5 and be called "being behind the times" or "hick" by my friends.

I would try and help but it just sounds to me all wrong what you're doing. The whole point of MD is to enjoy the superior sound quality, which you just can't get out of the iPod. All of that convenience also makes you lose appreciation of your music collection. If I was you I would just give the iPod away and go back to using MD properly.