SonicStage 4.3 Windows 7 64-bit (Error Code: 00004e2e)

Rate this topic

JamJamYea

Hello All,

I'm new to this forum and came on here because my SonicStage is not working.

I have the NW-S203F Walkman. Yes it's old, I know, but I LOVE this thing. So tiny, light, easy to use, and out of my way when I work out. I don't want to give it up just because of this "incompatibility" business.

I just bought a new computer with Windows 7 64-bit operating system. My last computer was Windows XP 32-bit operating system and SonicStage worked fine on that.

When I first installed SonicStage (version 4.0 from the disc that came with my MP3 player) it installed fine and also worked fine. I put music in the library, the music played, I was even able to transfer music from the library onto my nifty NW-S203F.

A week later, I can't open SonicStage due to an error message which says, "The selected music file cannot be played back because the system information has been changed. (Error Code: 00004e2e)"

I called HP up, asked them why in the world would SonicStage, which is supposedly incompatible with 64-bit operating system work for a week then not work at all? He said something along the lines of, "As time goes on, the information from your program goes deeper into your computer driver and once it gets deep enough, your computer will remember that it's racist against 34-bit software programs and be like 'WTF I can't be runnin' you on my driver! Get lost!' and make it not work on your computer anymore". Yea, well that's obviously not what he said word for word, but that's what I got out of it

I've tried all compatibility modes, but none work. I still get the same error code.

So here I am, a biologist who is clueless on computers and how to make things that are incompatible compatible.

Please someone tell me how, with detail, I can get SonicStage working on my computer so I can transfer songs to my MP3 player. Your expertise, advise, and help is VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!

Thanks

Jamaris

So should I do what you told that guy to do? which was,

"Any good with regedit?

Try finding this:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Sony Corporation\SonicStage\EMD\HomeURL

Just delete the key and all values inside it.

Tell us if that helps

Stephen "

Not sure what regedit is. Should I locate HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Sony Corporation\SonicStage\EMD\HomeURL on my computer with the search feature? Then start deleting things?

Thanks for your help and your speedy replies

Jamaris

If you've never used Regedit, this would be a good time to take a step back and do some reading about the Windows Registry. You can easily cause complete chaos. The good news is that Windows backs it up automatically quite often (Restore Points) and you can read about System Restore with respect to those, too.

I really cannot advise you to start playing around with it based on what you have told us you know.

However, perhaps you can find some friendly local person who is moderately comfortable with managing things like this, and will guide you through what is needed.

All the best

Stephen

When using regedit, I see there is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\, but do not see the Sony Corporation part. Am I missing something?

Edit: I see it under HKEY_CURRENT_USER/SOFTWARE ..... should I proceed to delete from there?

Edit II: Inside EMD, there is (1) Name: Default ; Type: REG_SZ ; Data: (value not set)

(2) Name: PIStatus ; Type: REG_DWORD ; Data: 0x00000000 (0)

You may have stumbled upon why we are having trouble in other areas. Don't touch the stuff you found in HKCU.

Somehow Sony has hardcoded some registry entries.

You have to look in

HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Sony Corporation\SonicStage\EMD

The key (not value) you need to delete is HomeURL

Ok thanks. Found the HomeURL folder. Now, should I (A) Delete the whole folder or (B) Go into the folder with in the HomeURL (named '0') and delete something within that?

Within '0' folder that is within the HomeURL folder, there is under the category Name,

1.) (Default)

2.) DirectJumpItemName

3.) MenuTitle

4.) MIMETypeCheck

5.) Title

6.) Url

7.) UseDmfStringComp

8.) UseSrcPackageId

p.s. not sure what the difference between a 'key' and a 'value' is, if it has something to do with the folder itself (key/value) and the contents within that folder (key/value). Please excuse me for my naivety

So I deleted the Hive called HomeUrl and I still get tha same error message. Any Ideas

PS. OMG!!!! Snake is on the top of this page along with this websites name (Snake or Big Boss?)..... EPIC!!! love it!!!! Too bad I don't have a PS3.... can't play MGS4..... when PS3 is like 100 bucks is when I'll buy it and play MGS 4, which won't be for like another 5 years haha

UPDATE:

Okay, I thought this might be the problem. I installed SonicStage 4.3 for Windows XP on my Windows 7 Home Premium with the program running under Windowns XP compatibility mode (I was desperate at the time hoping this would solve it). It didn't.

So I uninstalled SonicStage 4.3 and installed SonicStage 4.0 from the disc that came with my MP3 player. Once installed, I went into HKLM --> software --> wownode --> sony corp --> sonicstage --> EMD ---> HomeUrl and deleted the hive HomeUrl.

I got a different result. It started up like it was going to open (loading and initializing etc.) but then I get a notice box saying, " SonicStage Application has stopped working: A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you is a solution is available"

So I feel like I'm making progress, but problem not completely solved.

any Ideas?

Which version of SonicStage 4.3? (oops you loaded 4.0, that is almost certainly too old for this setup) You need the one from this site.

Also you probably need to uninstall OpenMG, though I have a feeling it will get updated just fine.

The other thing is, don't try plugging in your Walkman at all just yet.

(yes, I think you're getting close)

Which version of SonicStage 4.3? (oops you loaded 4.0, that is almost certainly too old for this setup) You need the one from this site. And install it direct, not into the XP box.

Also you probably need to uninstall OpenMG, though I have a feeling it will get updated just fine.

The other thing is, don't try plugging in your Walkman at all just yet.

(yes, I think you're getting close)

Which version of SonicStage from this site should I download?the ultimate?

I downloaded SonicStage Ultimate release 2 from this site. I tried to open it, but got the same problem. I tried to look for the HomeURL Hive, but could not find it. After downloading SonicStage Ultimate release 2, I saw the NetMD Driver 64-bit Win7 or Vista download on your site and it looked like that is what I needed to download to make this work. When I downloaded it, it just came up as a .zip folder. Not at all sure what to do with this, if I need to somehow incorporate this .zip folder into SonicStage Ultimate release 2 that I downloaded or something, I don't know.

What should my next step be?

p.s. what do you mean by "download it direct, not into XP box" ? what does "download direct" exactly mean and what is an "XP box"?

1. Forget about NetMD... you have a Network Walkman, nothing to do with Minidisc as far as I know. Sorry for any confusion.

2. Use Native W7-64, and you should be fine. "XP Box" is my shorthand for the XP Virtual machine. I am probably mixing you up with one of the other lucky contestants who is fighting (or about to fight) SonicStage. Since you say Home Premium, there IS no XP compatibility VM, that only comes with Professional or better. My goof.

This error you see means you are probably almost flying. But clean off as much as possible and try one more time from the top. You WILL have to tell Windows to install it "as if" you had XP (you may well get a choice of SP2 or SP3, I have no idea which to choose).

Since you claim it worked fine initially, I can only imagine somehow one of the AutoUpdates has shot you in the foot. I cannot be sure of this, however. I know that Sonic Stage does work on W7-64, I have installed it myself. I don't have a Network Walkman (that works with SS) however.

how would I go about telling windows to install as if I had XP? When I go to download SonicStage 4.3 from this website, I don't get options for downloading, it just downloads and there is also no option for installation it just installs. I know AFTER I install it I can change the compatability mode to XP SP2 or SP3 but I tried that and it still doesnt work. Any solutions?

The only thing I can choose is the destination of the folder to install.

Sure but at some point you may be asked (imagine perhaps the install fails or something) to "rerun with recommended settings". What this will most likely do is to set the application to run in XP SP2 or SP3 compability mode. However you can certainly do this after the fact.

I got help from a friend yesterday, and she thought outside of the box..... get a different program! I was so narrow minded that I didn't think of that and so glad she did. I have JSymphonic, works PERFECTLY and runs on java. Its simple, fast, and I don't have to worry/deal with all the bullcrap to try and get sonicstage runnning. Phew glad that's over with. Thanks for your help though! JSymphonic FTW

I really don't know what's wrong - as I say SS runs fine for me and many others here.

Glad you found an alternative. Just out of curiosity, does JSymphonic do ATRAC or does everything get converted to MP3? The diehards like myself will probably never accept anything except real ATRAC.

• 9 months later...

No direct correlation - it basically means the database authentication is screwed. Sonic Stage is a finicky beast - for example if you don't want to tear your hair out wondering where it put files, NEVER drag and drop stuff on the SS main windows. But once it works, it is stable, and the DECRYPTED files (".OMA) can be used on any computer without hassles. To decrypt them you need the File Conversion Tool which is included on the main menu of SS. Once again, DO NOT try and run the tool on its own - always call it from SS.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It solves an error of the restore tool in sonicstage 4.0

I have a Sony NW-S203F and windows 7 64bits.

1. Open the notepad.

2. Copy this 2 lines.

cd c:program files (x86)common filessony sharedopenmgrestorable
copy *.dat "c:program files (x86)common filessony sharedopenmg"

3. Save the file as sonicstage_bug.bat (.bat NOT .txt)

4. Run this file as administrator. You know this ( click the right button of the mouse on file and "run as administrator")

5. Run sonicstage.

Keep the file, sometimes it happens again.