Sony A series HDDs

Rate this question

Ascariss

Question

Ok so I was reading up on anythingbutipod today and saw that the Gigabeat S30 uses a Freescale MCIMX31LVKN5. So I remember somone mentioned a freescale chip in the sony's in this thread:

http://www.atraclife.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1080

So this got me thinking. Why not read up on this processor and see what it can fully do? I grabbed the service manual and decided to check up to see what information is there.

The units seem to use hitachi or seagate harddrives. I would prefer the seagate drives myself, but anywho. Funny in the service manual, there is chart on page 3 that has which colour models are available in each region. The US is there with all the colours, even gold black. The seagate is a ST1.2 drive, here are some quick specs for it from zdnet:

Product Short Spec:

Hard drive size: 8 GB

Interface type: CompactFlash

Buffer size: 2 MB

Average seek time: 2 ms

Spindle speed: 3600 rpm

Mean time before failure 100,000 hour(s)

Min operating temperature 32 °

Max operating temperature 158 °

(in fahrenheit)

Specs for the hitachi, there are 2 models, the 3K6 and 3K8, with the former being for the 6 GB model and the latter for the limited edition 8GB model.

3K6:

Capacity: 6GB maximum capacity

Size: 42.8 x 36.4 x 5.0 mm, 16g

Reliability: 200G operating shock, 2000G non-operating shock

Performance: Sustained data rate up to 9.4MB/sec

High performance disk storage

Low power consumption

3K8:

Capacity: 8GB maximum capacity

Size: 40 x 30 x 5.0 mm, 13g

Reliability: 400G operating shock, 400G operating shock

Performance: Sustained data rate up to 10.0 MB/sec

As for the A3000, I can only guess. But assuming it uses the same chip and brand of hard drives, I came up with these solutions. The LD25 from seagate, up to 80 GB, or the EE25 (20, 30 and 40 GB), I have a hunch it's the ST18 (60 GB). Perhaps the hitachi in the A3000 is the C4K60, 1.8" drive (20, 30, 40, 60GB).

As for the chip. There seem to be 3 versions of it.

SCF5249

SCF5250

SCF5251

The A1000 uses the SCF5250 one (assuming A3000 uses the same one, no point for it to use a different one). The 5251 model has also ATA in addition to IDE. I'll mention some quick info on the 5251 and what it can actually play or display, codec wise:

-MP3

-WMA

-mp3PRO

-AAC

-Ogg Vorbis

-SRS WOW

-JPEG

-MPEG-4 decoding

-MP3 encode *****

-ADPCM (adaptive differential pulse code modulation) recording, basically PCM recording like the MDs.

-finally microsoft's PlaysForSure

As well, the company provides info on parts for 1.8 inch drives, colour LCD, support for jpeg, mpeg-4 and USB 2 OTG. I was a bit shocked when I read this, and wonder now what chip sony can stick in the new HDD units? Unless sony will only just release somthing using the same chip 5250 and different body. Difficult to say what sony will do. 3 options, either leave the 5250, upgrade to 5251 or a completely new chip.

The 5251 has the IDE option that hte 5250 doesn't, but basically the 5250 in the A series is almost identical to the 5251.

Checking up on the 5250 on various sites, it has USB, USB 2 and USB on the go. Even though there is no firmware, the processor can handle wma, and wma DRM 10 as well as jpeg and mpeg-4 video. ok like the 5251 it does have all this:

-MP3

-WMA

-mp3PRO

-AAC

-Ogg Vorbis

-SRS WOW

-JPEG

-MPEG-4 decoding

-MP3 encode *****

-ADPCM (adaptive differential pulse code modulation) recording, basically PCM recording like the MDs.

-finally microsoft's PlaysForSure

So all good. :D As well it has the ability for VCD, or mpeg-1 layer 2 decoding. In addition to ADPCM recording it also have MP3 recording ability! (jackpot) :D

As well Free Lossless Audio Codec (FLAC) support was planned for july 2005, so we are past that date and I am sure that these sonys have that added on. In addition:

-JPEG and MPEG4 decode (20 fps at QCIF resolution while simultaneously playing audio files)

-SRS WOW and other third-party algorithms

-ADPCM voice record

:o:o crazy, Imagine where Sony could have taken this player? To the top of the market and easily could have competed against the best. Shame really. Perhaps this is what sony has coming up next for us this upcoming fall/winter 2006?

As well I found out the iAudio X5 uses the same chip. If you want info on the X5 check it out here:

http://www.cowonamerica.com/products/iaudio/x5/

or I'll list some quick ones.

-colour LCD

-video playback

-USB OTG

-test and image viewer

-high quality voice recording

-direct mp3 encoding

-FM although that is not part of the chip lol

-EQ

-lyrics display

-clock

-dynamic playlist

-m3u playlist (already have it kinda)

a lot more information here: http://www.cowonamerica.com/products/iaudi...#specifications

It boggles the mind to what sony COULD have done. :lol::D

Basically, we could look forwards to a brighter future, with a lot more codec support, basically ALL, video, recording, possibly easier mneu design, play lists on the go and more. I just hope Sony you are reading this, because in the world of DAPs and now DMPs,

Sony is falling heavily behind. I'll use a simple analogy using cars. Why buy a more expensive car with less options, when your competitor is offering something for the same price or less with more standard options? Rank over.

(sorry for the long read)

So opinions, comments, complaints, errors? :)

9 answers to this question

Well, that's the potential of the hardware, but we know how Sony operates. Even if Sony did produce a device with those specs, they'll probably release it 10 years after Apple did all those and officially support gapless on iPods.

Do you think there's a possibility that some future FW update will add some of the functions you've mentioned?

I've read your comment elsewhere saying something like "wait until late summer" (I don't remember exactly what was it concerned to); does this mean you have some inside-info source in Sony?

Should we expect any future FW updates at all?

Possibility to enqueue songs while playing would be a good start. Though I consider this function to be so crucial that I'm afraid that there is some reason for which NW-A doesn't support it. (?some bad fundamental FW-design?) This leads me to conclusion that we won't get this function at all even if we get some more FW updates ... 8[

(Also I would love my NW-A to display song comments from id3-tags as I use to store remixer-information in it.)

(I do apologize for my poor english and for moving topic to the SW/FW issues ...)

Edited by yaroukh

did i understand right???

what is the point for using a processor with support for color screen video and picture abilities and then producing a monochrome screen mp3 player???

Pretty simple, it was likely the cheapest chip they could get in the quantity they wanted from the manufactuer, that met the specs of the device they wanted to make.

There could have been inferior chips but they probably didn't get "as good a deal" from the manufacturers on those so they used the chip above.

As for the firmware upgrade definitely do not hold your breath. All companies, Sony included, are notorious for a lack of firmware upgrades for devices particularly after EOL in terms of sales. Highly unlikely that they would release anything at this point in time for the A1000/1200/3000 players.

As for the HDDs in the A3000, the A3000 uses the expected Toshiba 1.8" 5mm drives w/ZIF connector (I think this was previously confirmed by Simon) and also the HDD cannot be upgraded to anything larger as was the case with the HDx units (as Simon tried and failed). The A1000/A1200 use CF microdrives as mentioned above and I'm unsure whether they can be upgraded or not.

Another thing. ADPCM is not the same as PCM as in MD. ADPCM is a way of compressing PCM so it takes up less room. However the quality loss is marked and it's mainly used for voice. I believe Microsoft started that up originally but I could be wrong. What ADPCM would probalby be used for in that chip is for voice recording devices, and little else.